The Student Room Group

MSc Finance LSE/Imperial/LBS/Warwick

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Princepieman
Out of curiosity, if you already had internships (and I presume the opportunity to convert said internships), why are you pursuing an MSc in Finance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The one I had last summer was finance, but not what I want to pursue a career in. The other one is this summer, so if I receive a return offer it will be next year. I think i'll enjoy it, good reputation, reasonable hours, line of work is roughly what I want to do.

Additionally, I want to see if LSE opens up any opportunities, such as high end asset management. Given the mediocre reputation of my previous university, and lateness of deciding what I wanted to do, it was necessary to pursue a masters.
Original post by StefanG
The one I had last summer was finance, but not what I want to pursue a career in. The other one is this summer, so if I receive a return offer it will be next year. I think i'll enjoy it, good reputation, reasonable hours, line of work is roughly what I want to do.

Additionally, I want to see if LSE opens up any opportunities, such as high end asset management. Given the mediocre reputation of my previous university, and lateness of deciding what I wanted to do, it was necessary to pursue a masters.

Fair enough! Pretty sound reasoning :smile:

Best of luck with your upcoming internship and with your Masters!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Fair enough! Pretty sound reasoning :smile:

Best of luck with your upcoming internship and with your Masters!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by StefanG
To be fair I think you're rushing ahead of yourself here. For a start, I feel like you should have a LONG think about what sort of finance role you might enjoy. Then research it thoroughly. You should only be planning your masters when you know what direction you want it to take you!

To get work experience, start applying for relevant summer internships starting September. Spend a lot of time on applications, as competition is really stiff. Given its your second year, and I assume you haven't done too much to boost your CV so far, be realistic, your chances of landing a 'top investment bank' internship in the front office are extremely slim. Maybe have a look at the big 4 accounting firms, they offer a lot.

Your first priority should be academics. Aim for the highest, not just a 70, I know a few people who still got rejected while on a first. I got accepted with only two summer internships so that shouldn't be a worry.

I've researched numerous roles, coming to a conclusion that I am more interested in the asset management side of finance. I am only a first year currently but the main reason i wish to obtain an MsC from one of the top schools is to further my chances of landing a top job within the finance sector. I only really discovered this is what i wanted to do at the start of this year, by then it was too late to have obtained A-levels in relevant subjects etc

I got to the last stage of an HSBC internship but didnt make it to the AC which was quite gutting. Other than that i dont think I will land much experience this summer. I'm aiming to contact a few of the accountancy firms for experience, as I've also heard this is a route in. My business school do have strong links with PwC so I presume this is also a path I could follow.

Congrats on receiving your offer, your CV seems really strong, I'm mainly seeking advice to learn from people like you who've been in my position and can offer advice on what to do and what not t do. You and Lola have been really helpful and I appreciate it.
Reply 64
Original post by GymLad78
I've researched numerous roles, coming to a conclusion that I am more interested in the asset management side of finance. I am only a first year currently but the main reason i wish to obtain an MsC from one of the top schools is to further my chances of landing a top job within the finance sector. I only really discovered this is what i wanted to do at the start of this year, by then it was too late to have obtained A-levels in relevant subjects etc

I got to the last stage of an HSBC internship but didnt make it to the AC which was quite gutting. Other than that i dont think I will land much experience this summer. I'm aiming to contact a few of the accountancy firms for experience, as I've also heard this is a route in. My business school do have strong links with PwC so I presume this is also a path I could follow.

Congrats on receiving your offer, your CV seems really strong, I'm mainly seeking advice to learn from people like you who've been in my position and can offer advice on what to do and what not t do. You and Lola have been really helpful and I appreciate it.

We have similar interests then :smile: You are miles ahead of me in terms of where I was in first year! Getting an internship in first year is just a bonus, generally its unnecessary and quite hard to obtain. Your best bet, as you're doing already, is just to contact local companies and offer unpaid work. If not, do some thorough research or learn some skills to make you shine in your interviews next year!

In your second year summer, look for something investment focused (preferably AM of course!) would be my advice. As you mentioned, I'm sure the big 4 hire a large amount from your uni as they do mine. It will serve as a stepping stone to hopefully obtaining an AM internship or something quite relevant in your 3rd year summer.

Skills you want to pick up for AM are generally quant based, depending on the role you enter. Maybe try reading some famous investment books over summer (The Intelligent Investor springs to mind), or learning about specific strategies such as value investing.

Just to note, as you can tell I am no expert. I'm simply stating what I would have done myself if I was at motivated as you in my fresher year (which I wish I was!).

Thanks, and well my CV is nothing impressive, but I guess I must've done at least something right... onwards and upwards, I'm very focused on achieving more and more now!
Original post by StefanG
We have similar interests then :smile: You are miles ahead of me in terms of where I was in first year! Getting an internship in first year is just a bonus, generally its unnecessary and quite hard to obtain. Your best bet, as you're doing already, is just to contact local companies and offer unpaid work. If not, do some thorough research or learn some skills to make you shine in your interviews next year!

In your second year summer, look for something investment focused (preferably AM of course!) would be my advice. As you mentioned, I'm sure the big 4 hire a large amount from your uni as they do mine. It will serve as a stepping stone to hopefully obtaining an AM internship or something quite relevant in your 3rd year summer.

Skills you want to pick up for AM are generally quant based, depending on the role you enter. Maybe try reading some famous investment books over summer (The Intelligent Investor springs to mind), or learning about specific strategies such as value investing.

Just to note, as you can tell I am no expert. I'm simply stating what I would have done myself if I was at motivated as you in my fresher year (which I wish I was!).

Thanks, and well my CV is nothing impressive, but I guess I must've done at least something right... onwards and upwards, I'm very focused on achieving more and more now!

Yeah ty i was thinking of trying to get some unpaid work at PwC or Deloitte. Second year my uni runs a course that involves doing 6 months working inside finance so hopefully i can get on, but its Barclays and Consultancy i think not finance.

Ok thanks, my next step was to ask what books you think are good haha, do you have any others you recommend or have heard are good?

Same, as soon as I become set on something I work my arse off to achieve it and i'm so determined to succeed in this sector!

Your CV has some good firms though i presume which is really impressive and hard to get
Reply 66
Yeah ty i was thinking of trying to get some unpaid work at PwC or Deloitte. Second year my uni runs a course that involves doing 6 months working inside finance so hopefully i can get on, but its Barclays and Consultancy i think not finance.

Ok thanks, my next step was to ask what books you think are good haha, do you have any others you recommend or have heard are good?

Same, as soon as I become set on something I work my arse off to achieve it and i'm so determined to succeed in this sector!

Your CV has some good firms though i presume which is really impressive and hard to get

PwC/Deloitte would be great!

I'm pretty clueless about literature myself, although my exams finish on the 24th and I'm definitely going to have free time to kill for a month, so I'm going to do some research of my own into that soon enough.

Another thing you might want to look at is Coursera. There must be a few good relevant courses out there, for things such as financial modelling. Gives you something extra to do in summer!
Original post by StefanG
PwC/Deloitte would be great!

I'm pretty clueless about literature myself, although my exams finish on the 24th and I'm definitely going to have free time to kill for a month, so I'm going to do some research of my own into that soon enough.

Another thing you might want to look at is Coursera. There must be a few good relevant courses out there, for things such as financial modelling. Gives you something extra to do in summer!

Would check out: 'Macabus' and 'A Simple Model' too. Both great sites.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Would check out: 'Macabus' and 'A Simple Model' too. Both great sites.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, thanks for that, both look very useful from a quick scan. Especially interested in 'A Simple Model', looks like its all quite comprehensive. What is your view on Macabus? From my understanding it provides microsoft add-ins to make modelling easier? Feel like I should focus on learning from scratch with the basic excel layout.
Original post by StefanG
Wow, thanks for that, both look very useful from a quick scan. Especially interested in 'A Simple Model', looks like its all quite comprehensive. What is your view on Macabus? From my understanding it provides microsoft add-ins to make modelling easier? Feel like I should focus on learning from scratch with the basic excel layout.

Thanks for the suggestions and websites, I will read into financial modelling once my last exam is done on Friday! Just bumping again to see if yu had found any books or know of any useful ones on corporate finance or AM? I think those are the two sectors i Wish to pursue a career in so any helpful books you know of, or sites that provide info would be useful, thanks!

With regards this summer, it looks like I will be working in a job just to get money, do you think it is too late to email local accounting firms to offer unpaid experience or is it not worth it as accounting is slightly different to the corporate finance sector?

Thanks again
Reply 70
Thanks for the suggestions and websites, I will read into financial modelling once my last exam is done on Friday! Just bumping again to see if yu had found any books or know of any useful ones on corporate finance or AM? I think those are the two sectors i Wish to pursue a career in so any helpful books you know of, or sites that provide info would be useful, thanks!

With regards this summer, it looks like I will be working in a job just to get money, do you think it is too late to email local accounting firms to offer unpaid experience or is it not worth it as accounting is slightly different to the corporate finance sector?

Thanks again

Accounting skills are very useful for finance. Obviously not all of it, but definitely worth seeing if you could get something for summer. Although its too late for official summer internships, right now is a good time to try local firms to see if they happen to need anyone over summer, you might have to offer unpaid labour.

I actually have just purchased a book today off Amazon. Its quite pricey (£20), but its had really good reviews. It's called "Why stocks go up and down". Apparently it explains the fundamentals of investing and I quote "is the book to read in order to understand all other investment books". From what I understand it doesn't necessarily explain investment strategies in too much detail, but rather the theory and knowledge required to delve deeper into such strategies.

300-400 pages, hopefully will set me up nicely for something more intense. I'll definitely let you know how I find it when I start reading.
Original post by StefanG
Accounting skills are very useful for finance. Obviously not all of it, but definitely worth seeing if you could get something for summer. Although its too late for official summer internships, right now is a good time to try local firms to see if they happen to need anyone over summer, you might have to offer unpaid labour.

I actually have just purchased a book today off Amazon. Its quite pricey (£20), but its had really good reviews. It's called "Why stocks go up and down". Apparently it explains the fundamentals of investing and I quote "is the book to read in order to understand all other investment books". From what I understand it doesn't necessarily explain investment strategies in too much detail, but rather the theory and knowledge required to delve deeper into such strategies.

300-400 pages, hopefully will set me up nicely for something more intense. I'll definitely let you know how I find it when I start reading.

After your suggestion I've read a few reviews and also seems like this book is a good introduction so I too have ordered it! Going back to the MsC Finance, there is an option as part of my course to do a semester placement - i think i'd choose Barclays or Deloitte. h]However, the role with Barclays isn't specifically finance, whilst the Deloitte one is auditing i believe. What do you think would be more favourable to LSE/ICL when applying for the MsC? Im aware its miles in the future but I really want to give myself the best chance of getting on the course!
Reply 72
After your suggestion I've read a few reviews and also seems like this book is a good introduction so I too have ordered it! Going back to the MsC Finance, there is an option as part of my course to do a semester placement - i think i'd choose Barclays or Deloitte. h]However, the role with Barclays isn't specifically finance, whilst the Deloitte one is auditing i believe. What do you think would be more favourable to LSE/ICL when applying for the MsC? Im aware its miles in the future but I really want to give myself the best chance of getting on the course!

Well I guess its going to be impossible to comment on an undefined role at Barclays, so i'd say audit is a safe option. Big 4 experience is generally valuable, and audit has transferable skills (although I feel it would be a lot more valued for IBD). Regardless, I think in regards to MSc applications I think audit is decent.

Try and find out what the actual Barclays role is. If its something like project management, then give it a miss.

What are your other options?
Original post by StefanG
Well I guess its going to be impossible to comment on an undefined role at Barclays, so i'd say audit is a safe option. Big 4 experience is generally valuable, and audit has transferable skills (although I feel it would be a lot more valued for IBD). Regardless, I think in regards to MSc applications I think audit is decent.

Try and find out what the actual Barclays role is. If its something like project management, then give it a miss.

Sorry for the late reply, been v busy but made headway with the book and a couple of chapters in, what do you make of it? Waiting for my results on July 7th then we receive more info on potential placements so i can update you then. Do you think the Brexit will impact this MsC in Finance course and a potential career in finance? Seen a lot of banks have already started moving business out of the UK and pound has taken a huge hit!

Mainly reignited this thread to ask what you think would be a valuable use of time now I have a whole summer free? I want to further my CV and am currently working as a kitchen assistant on the weekends but really want to use this summer to enhance my opportunities of landing a place on this MsC fin course and develop my knowledge of the sector! Any suggestions and help is appreciated, thanks
Original post by StefanG

And in addition to my above post, i have a few months free this summer, do you recommend taking the GMAT? Really considering it and appreciate your advice
Reply 75
And in addition to my above post, i have a few months free this summer, do you recommend taking the GMAT? Really considering it and appreciate your advice

Sorry mate, forgot to reply to your other post.

Really up to you. If work experience is out of the question, I'd consider either doing GMAT (if you can free up about 150 hours + the time to take it), or just researching an industry thoroughly so you have a better shot at internship applications this September. Preferably, do both! You can always sit the GMAT a bit later, maybe October or November.

As for the book, i'm one part through, finding it difficult to find motivation to read given i'm surrounded by investment reading 9 hours a day at my internship now lol.

I will point out its much more vital you secure yourself decent work experience over doing the GMAT. Work experience is a guaranteed plus, whereas GMAT is not.
Reply 76
Sorry for the late reply, been v busy but made headway with the book and a couple of chapters in, what do you make of it? Waiting for my results on July 7th then we receive more info on potential placements so i can update you then. Do you think the Brexit will impact this MsC in Finance course and a potential career in finance? Seen a lot of banks have already started moving business out of the UK and pound has taken a huge hit!

Mainly reignited this thread to ask what you think would be a valuable use of time now I have a whole summer free? I want to further my CV and am currently working as a kitchen assistant on the weekends but really want to use this summer to enhance my opportunities of landing a place on this MsC fin course and develop my knowledge of the sector! Any suggestions and help is appreciated, thanks

Also, as UK citizens I don't think Brexit will change our job prospects too much. Jobs will probably be cut, but so will EU competition i'd imagine. A lot of the jobs that will move out will be back office euro operations and jobs which we wouldn't stand a chance at anyway (multilingual roles for foreign natives).
Original post by StefanG
Sorry mate, forgot to reply to your other post.

Really up to you. If work experience is out of the question, I'd consider either doing GMAT (if you can free up about 150 hours + the time to take it), or just researching an industry thoroughly so you have a better shot at internship applications this September. Preferably, do both! You can always sit the GMAT a bit later, maybe October or November.

As for the book, i'm one part through, finding it difficult to find motivation to read given i'm surrounded by investment reading 9 hours a day at my internship now lol.

I will point out its much more vital you secure yourself decent work experience over doing the GMAT. Work experience is a guaranteed plus, whereas GMAT is not.

No worries. Jheez I didnt realise you're reading so much atm - how's it going and what role specifically are you reading around? I'm pretty idle this summer which is starting to demotivate me however I just got my results and got a first with 91 in Accounting so hopefully i can stress that when trying to secure work experience in the future. Have you got any tips on what companies i should apply for and try and secure experience/intern at in the future and maybe how to use my time this summer now? Next summer i've got a potential risk management/insurance role lined up through a mid-cap but thats about it so far and even that is 50/50. Think Asset management is most appealing atm but my knowledge is so scare currently! Im also looking at the placement year UBS do which looks intriguing but im sure extremely competitive to get on

Seen a lot of news regarding the banking sector being hit by Brexit and i'm hoping and forecasting that it will recover, potentially after a recession. Thank god we had a summer of sport to soften the blow...

Hope all is well and reply in your own time - i'm sure you're up to your neck in work! :wink:
Original post by StefanG
Also, as UK citizens I don't think Brexit will change our job prospects too much. Jobs will probably be cut, but so will EU competition i'd imagine. A lot of the jobs that will move out will be back office euro operations and jobs which we wouldn't stand a chance at anyway (multilingual roles for foreign natives).

bump :wink:
Reply 79
No worries. Jheez I didnt realise you're reading so much atm - how's it going and what role specifically are you reading around? I'm pretty idle this summer which is starting to demotivate me however I just got my results and got a first with 91 in Accounting so hopefully i can stress that when trying to secure work experience in the future. Have you got any tips on what companies i should apply for and try and secure experience/intern at in the future and maybe how to use my time this summer now? Next summer i've got a potential risk management/insurance role lined up through a mid-cap but thats about it so far and even that is 50/50. Think Asset management is most appealing atm but my knowledge is so scare currently! Im also looking at the placement year UBS do which looks intriguing but im sure extremely competitive to get on

Seen a lot of news regarding the banking sector being hit by Brexit and i'm hoping and forecasting that it will recover, potentially after a recession. Thank god we had a summer of sport to soften the blow...

Hope all is well and reply in your own time - i'm sure you're up to your neck in work! :wink:

Grats on the first dude - looks like you've got the academics down for that masters :P

Apart from general reading and interest (which will go a long way in an interview), you could take some of those MOOC courses. Not really anything to put on your CV but you can learn a lot. If its something you're interested in you could learn a programming language, although definitely don't recommend unless you actually enjoy it haha. I tried VBA for 3 hours and said **** it.

My honest opinion is just spend a lot of time planning out what you're going to do for recruitment internship coming september, you'll be in a much better position than most if you do so. Research investment managers, and other firms that could provide semi relevant experience. Yes, you are idle, but no-one is expecting you to be that pro-active in your first summer of uni :P

Been reading a lot about asset classes, market reports, portfolio theory, generally stuff relevant to my internship (investment consultancy)

As you can probs tell I don't really check TSR at the moment, i've pmed you my FB/LinkedIn if you want to message on there

Quick Reply