The Student Room Group
it is needed to measure the standred electrode potential of a half cell, using hydrogen
Reply 2
i thought it was when the ions in a half cell are in (aq) and so a Pt electrode is needed
Reply 3
sprite
i thought it was when the ions in a half cell are in (aq) and so a Pt electrode is needed

Yes, that's correct.It acts as a medium for the exchange of electrons...a source or sink ...
Reply 4
zazy
Yes, that's correct.It acts as a medium for the exchange of electrons...a source or sink ...

thats what i thought. but i wrote that on a mock paper and my teacher said it was wrong.
also Some1@Havantcol sed something else :confused:

sory for being a nuisance but i need to know
Reply 5
Some1@Havantcol
it is needed to measure the standred electrode potential of a half cell, using hydrogen

You're thinking of the standard hydrogen electrode, which is used as the reference point to measure other half cells against.
Reply 6
calumc
You're thinking of the standard hydrogen electrode, which is used as the reference point to measure other half cells against.

does dat mean zazy and me were right.
how come my teacher marked me wrong then
Reply 7
sprite
why is platinum included in half cells?

good electrical conductivity, relatively inert metal
Reply 8
If I remember correctly, a platinum electrode is used when the ions are as a gas or NON-METAL ions in solution. For metal ions, the metal is used as the electrode. In both cases the platinum is used to connect to the external circuit.
Reply 9
calumc
If I remember correctly, a platinum electrode is used when the ions are as a gas or NON-METAL ions in solution. For metal ions, the metal is used as the electrode. In both cases the platinum is used to connect to the external circuit.

oh you make me remember the answer

it is used to adsorb (not absorb) hydrogen gas
the electrode is usually coated with platinum black to increase the efficiency of the discharge of hydrogen gas
Reply 10
calumc

He speaks the truth.
Reply 11
Platinum electrodes are used when:
1. it's a gas/aqueous ions half cell
eg H2(g)/H+(aq)
2. it's an aqueous ions half cell
eg Fe2+(aq)/Fe3+(aq)

What it is doing in the cell--- source or sink of electrodes
Why we choose platinum--- good conductivity, inert metal

I think that's what my notes say, anyways~

selkie
Reply 12
sprite
why is platinum included in half cells?

In the AQA Chemistr Module 5 Jan 03 exam the following question was asked:
When the standard electrode potential for fe2+/fe3+ is measured, a platinum electrode is required. What is the function of the platinum electrode?

Mark scheme answer: To allow transfer of electrons/provide a reaction surface.
Reply 13
thanx everyone. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending