The Student Room Group

What happens during a psychiatric assessment?

I'm going to see a psychiatrist for an assessment and I would like to know what's involved before I do.

What is the best way to prepare for it?
How long should it last?
What will I be asked, initially (e.g. "why are you here") and in more detail?
What would happen if they make a diagnosis? I'm seeing them privately but hope to get NHS treatment.
What happens if they refuse to make a diagnosis?
What should I do if they don't believe me or think that I am exaggerating?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
1) The best way to prepare is to write down the main things you are concerned about and any symptoms. Basically things to prompt you.

2) It depends on how much you have to say and on the psych. My psych talks a lot and my assessment lasted 2 and a half hours. Could be shorter or even longer I guess depending.

3) They will ask you about your past, your childhood, your symptoms, how your problems are affecting your life, your current situation, where you live, who you have supporting you, family, past experiences that might have caused issues, whether you work etc. Basically they will want to know your past history, any possible causes for your feelings and how your mental health is impacting upon your life.

4) Depending on diagnosis but I would imagine you would be referred for some sort of treatment. Obviously the kind of treatment would depend on your diagnosis. They may prescribe medication or they may not.

5) If they say they don't think you have a diagnosable condition then nothing happens as such. They will probably discharge you, or perhaps tell you to access counselling through your GP. You could seek a second opinion though. I am not sure how private practice works tbh.

I would say it is likely they will want to help you though. Try and be as honest as possible. Hope it goes well.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to see a psychiatrist for an assessment and I would like to know what's involved before I do.

What is the best way to prepare for it?
How long should it last?
What will I be asked, initially (e.g. "why are you here":wink: and in more detail?
What would happen if they make a diagnosis? I'm seeing them privately but hope to get NHS treatment.
What happens if they refuse to make a diagnosis?
What should I do if they don't believe me or think that I am exaggerating?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, good luck in your assesment and I hope you're doing okay to be needing one :smile:

Write down things you think are relevant and just be prepared for personal questions.
Mine lasted something around an hour. I'd say that's probably a good guide but it can depend quite a lot.
For me it started with general questions like "how are you feeling?" "why are you here?" It got into some more guided discussion like, "do you ever feel like...?". I also had a few "tests" like asking me to remember some words.

I wouldn't worry about the last two. They may not diagnose you if they don't feel there is anything to diagnose. If that happens you could ask them for some further advice.
They shouldn't think you are exagerating or anything. Just answer their questions honestly and they will believe you. They may ask for more details and things but don't take this as them being sceptical- they're just trying to get as much info as possible.

Hope that helped

Quick Reply

Latest