The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Perhaps it could've. But it is worrying knowing that borders aren't secure.

Anyway I'm not going to go political any more on the thread.

All I can say is thoughts are with whoever went through it.

It's not really about being in or out of the EU
Christ. I went to Brussels last year with my dad and I'm not surprised any of this is happening. There were many run-down, slum like areas with marginalised communities that were not integrated into wider society. It very much had an "us and them" feel about it.

Terrible, but unsurprising news unfortunately.
And you have idiots on here who are saying that we'd be safer in the EU...

Don't detract from the topic here to push political ideas. Keep Brexit & all that crap outside of this thread.

OT: Lots of outlets have been reporting up to 11 casualties. The pictures circulating around look horrific. Only time will tell at the moment. My condolences to the victims and families that have been impacted by this tragedy.
Original post by Use Err Name
mmm good insight, i liked the bit where you reinforced your argument with evidence

Mmm could be Saleh Abdeslam getting captured very recently and multiple shouts in Arabic being heard before the explosion as reported on Sky and the BBC?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
HLN now says 13 dead in total.

Military in charge in city centre, evacuating all stations.

Closures of all main networks, rail, metro. Phones not working in many areas. Soldiers on streets.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/36484/Bomaanslag-Brussels-Aiport/article/detail/2654073/2016/03/22/LIVE-13-doden-bij-aanslag-op-Brussels-Airport-explosies-in-metrostations.dhtml

Saddening
Original post by nulli tertius
Lets think that one through. New York and Washington aren't in the EU. Mombasa and Bali aren't in the EU. Morocco isn't in in the EU. Sydney isn't in the EU.

All of the 7/7 bombers were Brits.

Apart from arguments about co-operation between security forces, in what way would membership of the EU make a difference.

Given that one of the aims of the terrorists is to divide our societies and try to collapse them, immediately falling into arguments about breaking up international institutions that give us security is 100% playing into their hands.
Original post by queen-bee
It's not really about being in or out of the EU

Not mentioning it anymore

Original post by High Stakes
Don't detract from the topic here to push political ideas. Keep Brexit & all that crap outside of this thread.

OT: Lots of outlets have been reporting up to 11 casualties. The pictures circulating around look horrific. Only time will tell at the moment. My condolences to the victims and families that have been impacted by this tragedy.

Read my previous posts. I said I wasn't going to push it
Original post by Kuffar Sheikh
No religion dehumanises non-believers like islam does, and add "divine command" to the mix, anything is possible.

Let's wait for everything to calm down before we bring religion into it. At that time, I'm sure your fatwas would be very useful Sheikh

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really don't want to jump to conclusions but I can't deny that a part of me knows where this will lead to.
And you have idiots on here who are saying that we'd be safer in the EU...

Ahhh finally someone is using this attack to fit their political agenda. What a shock....
Secular explosions rock Brussels. (since we are told that terror has no religion)
Original post by leinad2012
Ahhh finally someone is using this attack to fit their political agenda. What a shock....

Read my previous posts sweetheart.
Reading on social media that IS threatened 10 attacks last night and London is on their list of the places..
Original post by Mathemagicien
Secular explosions rock Brussels. (since we are told that terror has no religion)

:rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This was a coordinated Islamic terror attack. There is not much doubt about it. My thoughts are with all the victims.
Original post by queen-bee
Reading on social media that IS threatened 10 attacks last night and London is on their list of the places..

They are probably just trying to scare us. I hope nothing happens. :frown:
Genuinely wondering when all this is going to end.
The message being sent out is quite clear: nothing is beyond the perpetrators.

Anyone with bombs or assault weapons can turn any place that was once peaceful into a scene of carnage and devastation. That is one of the harsh realities we are facing today.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
There were many run-down, slum like areas with marginalised communities that were not integrated into wider society. It very much had an "us and them" feel about it.

Terrible, but unsurprising news unfortunately.

That could describe any number of cities across the UK, too...
Original post by Fullofsurprises
My Dad is in a meeting in an office in central Brussels. Armed police moving on streets below, constant sirens, helicopters rotating above city centre.

Best wishes to your dad!

Latest

Trending

Trending