The Student Room Group

Which Access Course?

Hello all,

I want to train to be a paramedic, and will need to do an access course as my previous qualifications are all in art and design (thanks 16-20 year old self). My highest qualification was a Foundation Diploma, which I believe was level 3/4 but I dont remember off the top of my head.

After speaking to my University of choice (Brighton), I contacted local colleges about taking an access course. The only one near me that will let me do the access course and a maths GCSE at the same time has three options of access course I could take.

Access to Science
Access to Nursing
Access to Paramedics

I looked at the Science option and the schedule seems very physics based which I can see myself getting bored with.
Logic suggests I should do access to paramedics if thats what I want to do, but Im worried that Id be cutting myself off. You know how sometimes Uni's can get funny about things because they think you might be a bit of a know it all. But at the same time it could show dedication to the course..?
Im already working as a nurse (dental) so I feel like it might be a little easier to pass access to nursing? And lets be honest I need all the help I can get because I need a distinction!!

Which do you think I should go for?
I'd go for Access to Paramedics personally. But I'd do some research first and see what qualifications unis accept. They may accept the other two as well.
Reply 2
Original post by Justacceptthis
Hello all,

I want to train to be a paramedic, and will need to do an access course as my previous qualifications are all in art and design (thanks 16-20 year old self). My highest qualification was a Foundation Diploma, which I believe was level 3/4 but I dont remember off the top of my head.

After speaking to my University of choice (Brighton), I contacted local colleges about taking an access course. The only one near me that will let me do the access course and a maths GCSE at the same time has three options of access course I could take.

Access to Science
Access to Nursing
Access to Paramedics

I looked at the Science option and the schedule seems very physics based which I can see myself getting bored with.
Logic suggests I should do access to paramedics if thats what I want to do, but Im worried that Id be cutting myself off. You know how sometimes Uni's can get funny about things because they think you might be a bit of a know it all. But at the same time it could show dedication to the course..?
Im already working as a nurse (dental) so I feel like it might be a little easier to pass access to nursing? And lets be honest I need all the help I can get because I need a distinction!!

Which do you think I should go for?

Paramedic Practice at Brighton requires 30/45 Distinctions, so you can get away with getting up to 15 Merits on your Access course.

I'd say go for either the Access to Nursing or Access to Paramedics course - there really is no point in you completing an Access to Science course if it has a high Physics content.

My Access to Science course had Biology/Chemistry/Maths/Physics units, while the Access to Nursing course at my college had Biology/Health Studies/Psychology units. I really don't think that any of the sciences except for Biology are important for the degree that you want to do at university.

Quick Reply

Latest