The Student Room Group

Adjusting from CBSE to IB

For those who dont know CBSE is the Indian counterpart to a Central Education Board. I've finished my Tenth Grade here and I'm going to be starting IB soon.I can keep up with workload well enough without getting overstressed and in CBSE I generally average around 90%.

I'm going to be taking up the following subjects

1.Math (HL)
2.Phys (HL)
3.Chem (HL)
4.Hist (SL)
5.Fren (SL)
6.Eng (SL)

Ijust wanted to to know if adjusting from one syllabus to another will be difficult and If I'll be able to cope up with the course work.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I suggest you look at the IB syllabi (there's a sticky up there with all of them available for download). I think HL Physics/Maths/Chem is a pretty intense combo for your HLs, but it's not impossible, either. I'm more of a Humanities person though, so I can't really speak from experience. I think anyone should be able to cope with the coursework as long as they WORK! so if you're serious about your subjects, go for it. :smile:
hey...

i just finished my IB and i came from doing ten years of CBSE! there is a huge difference between the two boards no doubt but if your willing to work hard its not impossible to bridge the gap! basically with CBSE theres a lot more mugging...u get question, answer, question, answer in class that your teacher will most likely write out for u and say learn and go for the exam...and 99% of the time that will be what will come in the exam! but with IB its completely application based...u can know the whole text book word to word and not do so well if u cant apply concepts. yea math/chem/phy at HL is a tough combo...if ur willing to work hard and u really like the subjects then its worth a shot. otherwise i recommend u dont do that combo.

if your concepts are strong...especially in math ull do well though so dont worry. but one thing u need to make sure of is that u like the subjects u take. i took 4 HL's but i liked them more or less so i was okay. friends of mine whove done subjects (especially at HL) when the didnt much like the subject have suffered a bit.

its not such a daunting task though...if ur willing to work hard its all good :biggrin:

anything else ask away...im done with exams now anyway and have loads of advice to give and time to give it in :wink:

good luck!
Reply 3
hey BlackJackNoob, im sure u will be able to do well in the IB after uve done the CBSE. i did the cbse too before i joined the IB.. the good part is that IB is more application based.. so theres much less mugging compared to cbse..
but since the cbse board prepares one to work hard at subjects.. if u continue the same way in the IB i am sure ull get very good grades...
just make sure that ure basics are really good in math and chem and physics.. tht will make ure work wayyy easier!!

also, sometimes one doesnt get great teachers.. so be prepared for a lil self study or tuitions..coz sometimes the syllabus can get difficult
Reply 4
Please inform me which is the best of my Entry Level Studies cbse or ib

iam in the stage of confusion somebody will help me if i joined ib and i will complete the studies of primary programe of ib then is it easier to change cbse or not what is your opinion?
BlackJackNoob
For those who dont know CBSE is the Indian counterpart to a Central Education Board. I've finished my Tenth Grade here and I'm going to be starting IB soon.I can keep up with workload well enough without getting overstressed and in CBSE I generally average around 90%.

1.Math (HL)
2.Phys (HL)
3.Chem (HL)
4.Hist (SL)
5.Fren (SL)
6.Eng (SL)

Ijust wanted to to know if adjusting from one syllabus to another will be difficult and If I'll be able to cope up with the course work.

No problems boss! I did 10 yrs of CBSE and I got 81.2% in the end! but I was not at all satisfied with it....anyways, I applied for TISB didnt get in(they said that the course is toooooo high class for me), went to GSIS,Ooty, gave my full effort and we CBSE students have strong Maths basics, I strated excelling. Finally im done with my IB, topped my school and I have got 41 IB points. But it was not easy! I had to do loads of work! and ultimately, the hardwork has paid off. I am going to uni of Bath, one of the best Business schools in the UK.....so definitely go for IB and guess what, most of the guys in my school were from ICSE, but they didnt do well, it was me and two more from CBSE and we were in the top 6 students from the school. Another guy from CBSE did ALevels and he topped from our school too(this year). So, defo, go for anycourse and you wont have any problem, you will be fine with it!its CBSE which really Rocks. My subjects:

French(abinitio):7
Business management(HL):7
Eco(HL): 7
English(SL):5
Maths(HL): 6, this is 'cas my internals were a problems. I had just missed a 7, by 2 marks with a 26/40 in my internals:eek:
Bio(SL):7
EE, TOK: B n B
One more thing, just work hard and understand do not mug them up!your work will payoff!
Reply 7
Thanks for that Hardeep
Reply 8
hey hardeep is it possible to join after 11th cbse to 12th ib???
BlackJackNoob

1.Math (HL)
2.Phys (HL)
3.Chem (HL)
4.Hist (SL)
5.Fren (SL)
6.Eng (SL)

I think that you can do it. Since you're getting 90% right now...it seems probable. However...you must not slack off and you must work to your full potential. I don't know how the Indian education system works...but IB is pretty tough...especially with that combination of Math HL, Physics HL, and Chemistry HL. It seems very intense. For French...I don't know if it is B SL or ab initio...so I can't help you on that.

In conclusion, I think you should give it a try...but be prepared for the vast amounts of homework.
BlackJackNoob

1.Math (HL)
2.Phys (HL)
3.Chem (HL)
4.Hist (SL)
5.Fren (SL)
6.Eng (SL)

Hi

I am Prof Iyer. Head -IB Math for a leading international school in Mumbai.India .I have been teaching and counseling for IB for the past 9 yrs. I never knew IB would become this famous /popular. For any doubts on selection of subjects , coaching/tutoring for IB, feel free to call me or mail me

Best wishes

Sincerely

Prof Iyer
Mumbai
India
Ph : +91 - 9323040686
Email : [email protected]
Hello Everyone!
Iam Geetanjali , I just completed my 10th standard [CBSE] with admirable grades and percentile. I have the same problem before me.
Will shifting from CBSE TO IB be advisable for doing well in the long term?
I have always been quite hardworking , and consistently a good performer academic-wise.
Iam ready to take the challenge of studying in a new board altogether .

Please Reply/Advice on the same ASAP as i have to take the decision of shifting to IB or not really soon.
Reply 12
Hey... I studied CBSE for 10years then I switched to IB.. but now I'm finding it very hectic. Now, I'm thinking of switching back to CBSE.. But I'm confused that should I do so or no.. Can you help me? :smile:
Just like BlackJackNoob,
I am planning to take IB at TISB
I would highly appreciate it if you could shed some light on the following topics:
1. Should I keep alternative schools as options? If Yes, kindly suggest some good IB schools for 11th grade.
2. Study ethics tips at IB board
3. Information on helpful competitive exams that I must take.
Thank you
Original post by hardeep.arora
No problems boss! I did 10 yrs of CBSE and I got 81.2% in the end! but I was not at all satisfied with it....anyways, I applied for TISB didnt get in(they said that the course is toooooo high class for me), went to GSIS,Ooty, gave my full effort and we CBSE students have strong Maths basics, I strated excelling. Finally im done with my IB, topped my school and I have got 41 IB points. But it was not easy! I had to do loads of work! and ultimately, the hardwork has paid off. I am going to uni of Bath, one of the best Business schools in the UK.....so definitely go for IB and guess what, most of the guys in my school were from ICSE, but they didnt do well, it was me and two more from CBSE and we were in the top 6 students from the school. Another guy from CBSE did ALevels and he topped from our school too(this year). So, defo, go for anycourse and you wont have any problem, you will be fine with it!its CBSE which really Rocks. My subjects:

Maths(HL): 6, this is 'cas my internals were a problems. I had just missed a 7, by 2 marks with a 26/40 in my internals:eek:
Hey,
I'll be joining TISB this year as an IB student. I'm from CBSE as well.
As for your questions,
1) I'm not sure if you're planning on joining TISB in 2019 or 2020, if it's 2019, I'm sorry the admission procedure has already been completed. But it'll begin in December 2019 for 2020. However, TISB is rather competitive to get into. I would recommend you to have back up schools.
DAIS (Mumbai), Chirec (Hyderabad), CIS (Bangalore), UWC Mahindra (Pune) and Indus International School (Bangalore) are great Ib schools as well! However, Chirec and DAIS are non-residential and are very competitive to get into.
2) I'm from CBSE and I haven't started the program just yet so I'm not competent enough to answer that. Help me with that if you're aware of those good ethics.
3) The competitive exams really depend on what country you wanna study after grade 12. I've given the PSAT 10, the PSAT and an AP exam by now. I want to go to the States so I'll be giving the SATs and the ACTs soon as well. But if you wanna study in the UK, you have to take IELTS and such.
Good luck for IB and TISB.
Feel free to hit me up anytime.
Original post by Qwertytwelve
Just like BlackJackNoob,
I am planning to take IB at TISB
I would highly appreciate it if you could shed some light on the following topics:
1. Should I keep alternative schools as options? If Yes, kindly suggest some good IB schools for 11th grade.
2. Study ethics tips at IB board
3. Information on helpful competitive exams that I must take.
Thank you
Thanks a lot for answering my questions I’m moving to tenth grade this year so I guess I need to start working hard.Let’s see if someone here is able to answer my second question.
Hello
Since you must have joined TISB now
please tell me a bit about the Entrance exam
Was it tough?
Was it in CBSE Curriculum?
How did you prepare for it?
Original post by blossomwood
Hey,
I'll be joining TISB this year as an IB student. I'm from CBSE as well.
As for your questions,
1) I'm not sure if you're planning on joining TISB in 2019 or 2020, if it's 2019, I'm sorry the admission procedure has already been completed. But it'll begin in December 2019 for 2020. However, TISB is rather competitive to get into. I would recommend you to have back up schools.
DAIS (Mumbai), Chirec (Hyderabad), CIS (Bangalore), UWC Mahindra (Pune) and Indus International School (Bangalore) are great Ib schools as well! However, Chirec and DAIS are non-residential and are very competitive to get into.
2) I'm from CBSE and I haven't started the program just yet so I'm not competent enough to answer that. Help me with that if you're aware of those good ethics.
3) The competitive exams really depend on what country you wanna study after grade 12. I've given the PSAT 10, the PSAT and an AP exam by now. I want to go to the States so I'll be giving the SATs and the ACTs soon as well. But if you wanna study in the UK, you have to take IELTS and such.
Good luck for IB and TISB.
Feel free to hit me up anytime.
Is it possible to switch from grade 9 cbse to grade 10 ib?
Reply 18
Of course! It will also help you get used to how IB works before your crucial 2 years of 11th and 12th in IBDP! Good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by hardeep.arora

Hi hardeep.arora what do you find really helped to get a 7 in Biology. Was it just past papers and understanding the material? Also, any tips for Maths? Or any useful sites?

Thanks,

An IB Student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending