The Student Room Group

Official Internship Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by internship_amit
Hi Lexie,

I completed my bachelor's of technology in Computer Science in 2015. I haven't been working since then. Actually I was busy preparing myself for higher studies (giving GRE and IELTS). I had applied to various US and Canadian Universities and have received a couple of admits but most are into Spring 2017. So before joining there, I want to have an experience of interning abroad.
I would love to intern in London, Australia, or New York.
I have even completed the application and scheduled a 20-minute interview with TheInternGroup. I would like to know what are the things I need to prepare for the interview? And, are there enough internship opportunities in the field of CS or IT?

Hi internship_amit,

I think doing an internship abroad before your further education is a great idea! The hands-on experience will come in very handy for your course and for when you're looking for a full-time position upon graduating.

Regarding the interview, here is a really useful article about the structure of the interview and the types of questions you'll be asked. As for the opportunities that we offer in IT and CS, we have placed interns in these competitive fields in London, Australia and New York. There are roles available for the best candidates.

Best of luck for the interview!
Hi Lexie,I completed my master's degree in international management in september 2015. Afterwards, I volunteered as a start up business consultant in Africa from december 2015 to February 2016. However, I went back to France and I haven't found a full-time job yet. I would like to do an internship in the US in the investment banking sector to boost my CV and be more competitve back home. Does the intern group offer internships in this business area?
Original post by lilouness
Hi Lexie,I completed my master's degree in international management in september 2015. Afterwards, I volunteered as a start up business consultant in Africa from december 2015 to February 2016. However, I went back to France and I haven't found a full-time job yet. I would like to do an internship in the US in the investment banking sector to boost my CV and be more competitve back home. Does the intern group offer internships in this business area?

Hi Lilouness,

Thanks for your question. It's great that you're looking to work in another international environment!

We do provide internships in investment banking, and more generally finance and international business. To qualify for the visa that we use for our New York program, you must have graduated within 12 months, so I recommend applying soon for the September programme.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.
Original post by Lexie - The Intern Group
Hi Lilouness,

Thanks for your question. It's great that you're looking to work in another international environment!

We do provide internships in investment banking, and more generally finance and international business. To qualify for the visa that we use for our New York program, you must have graduated within 12 months, so I recommend applying soon for the September programme.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Thanks for you reply, I have a skype interview with the admission team on Thursday, May 12.
What about the work placements after that... I am a international student and I need a sponsor after I finish my internship.. Will this be possible
Original post by Prashhh93
What about the work placements after that... I am a international student and I need a sponsor after I finish my internship.. Will this be possible

Hi Prashhh93,

Thanks for your question.

In the past, there have been cases where outstanding interns were offered full-time positions with the company in which they were interning. However, we cannot guarantee this. It completely depends on the company's needs and the intern's performance.
Hi Lexie,

I'm entering my second year of my degree in September and looking into potential work placements for my Third Year which will be my Sandwich Course (Summer 2017- 2018). I'm currently studying HR and am particularly interested in interning in New York.

I was just wondering if this is possible and how I go about looking into this?

Thankyou!
Original post by LivGracie567
Hi Lexie,

I'm entering my second year of my degree in September and looking into potential work placements for my Third Year which will be my Sandwich Course (Summer 2017- 2018). I'm currently studying HR and am particularly interested in interning in New York.

I was just wondering if this is possible and how I go about looking into this?

Thankyou!

Hi LivGracie567,

Thanks for your question.

Firstly, it's great that you're doing your research in advance as our New York programme is one of the most popular so it fills up quickly! There are HR internships available in New York for Summer 2017. However, the longest programmes that we offer are for 6 months. Many of our past participants doing their internships as part of Sandwich Courses have done 6 months in one location and 6 months in another. I recommend applying for an interview via our website (www.theinterngroup.com) and discussing your options with an Admissions Officer.

I hope this helps! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.
Hi Lexie,
I graduated with a Business Management degree in 2013 and have been in a few jobs since. I have been thinking about my career recently as I have been drifting in my current admin job and would love to move on to something else. I was hoping an internship would strengthen my CV as I graduated a while ago and it would be great to get out of my comfort zone as well!

I have got a Level 3 Patisserie NVQ which I have completed in my spare time while at my job which I have really enjoyed and I don't know whether to try and follow that route or a Business Graduate role route.

I would love to do an Internship in (preferably) Australia or New York (I saw the issue with visas so maybe not possible) and I was wondering what sort of internships are available in either Business, Catering (Patisserie Specifically) or if there is anything possibly combining both?

I haven’t applied for my interview yet but was hoping to do that soon. It would be great to get your advice/opinion on my options and whether you think I would be suitable for an internship.

Many Thanks

Hannah
Original post by hannahL_07
Hi Lexie,
I graduated with a Business Management degree in 2013 and have been in a few jobs since. I have been thinking about my career recently as I have been drifting in my current admin job and would love to move on to something else. I was hoping an internship would strengthen my CV as I graduated a while ago and it would be great to get out of my comfort zone as well!

I have got a Level 3 Patisserie NVQ which I have completed in my spare time while at my job which I have really enjoyed and I don't know whether to try and follow that route or a Business Graduate role route.

I would love to do an Internship in (preferably) Australia or New York (I saw the issue with visas so maybe not possible) and I was wondering what sort of internships are available in either Business, Catering (Patisserie Specifically) or if there is anything possibly combining both?

I haven’t applied for my interview yet but was hoping to do that soon. It would be great to get your advice/opinion on my options and whether you think I would be suitable for an internship.

Many Thanks

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for your message. You're in a situation that we encounter quite a lot. Here's a video of one of our alumni who used their internship to change their career.

Regarding our available opportunities, we have internships across all areas of Business in both Australia and New York. We currently don't have any Catering opportunities available, unfortunately. I know you said that you read about the visa issues for New York, but if you have a year's work experience in a field related to the one that you're looking to intern in, you would qualify for a Trainee Visa.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.
Reply 30
Hi Lexie,

I graduated in 2015 with a degree in international relations and since then I have been doing admin/reception jobs as I'm unsure about what career path I want to take! Because of this, I was considering applying for an internship in something business related (in Australia) that would potentially open up a lot of possibilities for me, or in Marketing. However, I have no experience in either and because I don't have a clear idea of what I want to do, I was wondering what chances I have of getting it, or if I have more of a chance doing something more related to my degree as I would nonetheless love the opportunity to intern abroad!
Original post by Aldal
Hi Lexie,

I graduated in 2015 with a degree in international relations and since then I have been doing admin/reception jobs as I'm unsure about what career path I want to take! Because of this, I was considering applying for an internship in something business related (in Australia) that would potentially open up a lot of possibilities for me, or in Marketing. However, I have no experience in either and because I don't have a clear idea of what I want to do, I was wondering what chances I have of getting it, or if I have more of a chance doing something more related to my degree as I would nonetheless love the opportunity to intern abroad!

Hi Aldal,

Thanks for your message.

I think interning abroad sounds like a great option for you at this point in your career. Take a look at Sarah's success video - it reminds me of your situation.

In Australia we provide internships across all areas of International Business and Marketing. With regard to your experience level, don't worry. We have roles available for candidates of all professional and academic experience levels. I really recommend applying and further discussing your options with a member of our Admissions Team.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.
Hi Lexie,

Thanks for your reply, the video was really helpful and I found some more on there which were great! Yeah I wasn't sure if you would have patisserie type roles I think it would be more beneficial for me to focus on the business degree for an internship anyway and I will definitely be applying for the program.

Thanks for your advice

Hannah
Original post by hannahL_07
Hi Lexie,

Thanks for your reply, the video was really helpful and I found some more on there which were great! Yeah I wasn't sure if you would have patisserie type roles I think it would be more beneficial for me to focus on the business degree for an internship anyway and I will definitely be applying for the program.

Thanks for your advice

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

I'm really glad to hear that you found the video and the advice helpful! Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions. If not, we look forward to receiving your application :smile:
Hi Lexie,

don't know if you're still visiting this thread but I was hoping you'd be able to answer my inquiries. I just recently came across the Intern Group program and I'm interested to join it. Are there any opportunities in London for an aspiring musician/composer like myself? I've had quite the hiccup the past 2 years and therefore have nothing more than an IB Diploma in terms of academic qualifications and some multicultural hospitality experience. Would love to possibly intern at a Record Label or a music-related business, really need to expand my music network.

On another note, I'm actually planning on settling in London for the next couple years to develop myself musically through internships, part-time jobs and applying for a BA in 2017. With that being considered, how will my accommodation situation differ to candidates that will only be temporarily living in London?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by justanotherguy.
Hi Lexie,

don't know if you're still visiting this thread but I was hoping you'd be able to answer my inquiries. I just recently came across the Intern Group program and I'm interested to join it. Are there any opportunities in London for an aspiring musician/composer like myself? I've had quite the hiccup the past 2 years and therefore have nothing more than an IB Diploma in terms of academic qualifications and some multicultural hospitality experience. Would love to possibly intern at a Record Label or a music-related business, really need to expand my music network.

On another note, I'm actually planning on settling in London for the next couple years to develop myself musically through internships, part-time jobs and applying for a BA in 2017. With that being considered, how will my accommodation situation differ to candidates that will only be temporarily living in London?

Hi justanotherguy,

Thanks for your message.

Firstly, are you a UK citizen? If so, we would not be able to place you in London as we only provide international internships. However, you would be able to intern in a music-related position in one of our other destinations (Madrid, Hong Kong, Australia, New York or Latin America). We've placed interns in one of the largest record labels in Colombia.

If you're not a UK citizen but you're living in the UK and you'd like to join the program, there is an option to remove the accommodation from the program so that's not a problem.

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?
Hi Lexie,

I graduated in 2014 with a general arts degree (majoring in communications). Since then I've worked for the financial sector in a administrative capacity. Ideally I would like to stay in finance but would be open to opportunities in communications or business in general. Would I qualify for any of the visas in NYC? I don't have any work experience in communications and have been in my current admin role for nearly 2 years. I have family in NY so I strongly prefer to work there.
Original post by nat_criton
Hi Lexie,

I graduated in 2014 with a general arts degree (majoring in communications). Since then I've worked for the financial sector in a administrative capacity. Ideally I would like to stay in finance but would be open to opportunities in communications or business in general. Would I qualify for any of the visas in NYC? I don't have any work experience in communications and have been in my current admin role for nearly 2 years. I have family in NY so I strongly prefer to work there.

Hi Nat_criton,

Thanks for your message. Great choice - NYC is an exciting location.

Are you looking to intern in the same field as you're working in currently? Financial admin? If so, you would qualify for the J1 Trainee Visa. The requirements for the Trainee Visa state that you can study a certain subject and get work experience in something completely different and still qualify. The important thing is that you have at least one year of work experience relevant to the career field you are going to intern in.

I recommend applying and discussing your specific situation with a member of the Admissions Team.

Is there anything else I can help with?
Reply 38
Hi Lexie,

Im currently studying a degree in Bioveterinary science and am interested in going into PR. I was wondering what sort of opportunities were available to do an internship in PR or even marketing either in the US or australia?

Annie
Hello Lexie,

I have loooked at all of the programs on the website. However it dosen't talk about how much you earn during the internships? Are these paid or unpaid programs? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest