The Student Room Group

AS Official Edexcel 1 Psychology Unit 1: Social and Cognitive Psychology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anxiousaf
For the working memory model I have no idea because I either do Levels of Processing or the Multi-store model of memory. For the Multi store of memory good evaluation points are:
a) [negative] Studies that support the theory use words and digits in stimulus lists that may not be a realistic use of memory thus the task lacks mundane realism
b) [negative] Lab research may give an unnatural view of memory since lab experiments are conducted in artificial environments
c) [positive] Brown (1958) & Peterson and Peterson (1959) found that blocking rehearsal resulted in poor recall
d) [negative] Rehearsal of information does not necessarily lead to better recall. Craik and Watkins found that recall was unrelated neither duration in Short-Term Memory nor the number of times words were rehearsed.
e) [positive] Brain damaged patients provide strong evidence for Short-term Memory and Long-Term Memory distinction, as brain damage may focus on one part of memory leaving the other intact i.e. short term memory destroyed yet long term memory left intact.
f) [positive] Glanzer and Cunitz (1966) research into the primary recency effect showed that there is distinction between short term and long term memory.

I didn't think LOP was in new spec?
And Thanks for the points!
Original post by zoeemmacfc
I didn't think LOP was in new spec?
And Thanks for the points!

Be careful this is for the old spec!!! I am sure this still counts for the new specification but it's from the old spec :P
Original post by anxiousaf
Be careful this is for the old spec!!! I am sure this still counts for the new specification but it's from the old spec :P

Wait so it's possible that old spec content can still come up even if it's not included in new spec?
Original post by clucky_chick
Sorry, I meant 'payment'. I've written the wrong word in my notes. It is just the amount of money that they get for participating. e.g. Milgram's particpants were given $4.50, and Burger's participants were given $50. Glad it helps. :smile:

Haha... i was like, havent seen this word in my notes :biggrin:
Can someone please explain cohrs et al for me please?
Original post by zoeemmacfc
Wait so it's possible that old spec content can still come up even if it's not included in new spec?

Well theories and studies certainly not but some evaluation points were always missing from the book of the old specification and you could find them only in the past paper mark schemes so i guess so.
Reply 46
im totally going to fail. teacher is rubbish. had to each everything myself :frown:
Just found this thread, bit late but oh well
Thanks for the predictions :smile:

But I was wondering if the Social key issue will come up as a big question? Because I don't think it's come up before (forgive me if I'm wrong)
How many participants were there in craik and tulvings study on levels of processing??
Original post by bethdean
How many participants were there in craik and tulvings study on levels of processing??

24 I believe :smile:
And is the social key issue prejudice????
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
24 I believe :smile:

Thank you for the fast response!!!!!!!

I don't know if different schools do different ones, but mine was about blind obedience in a prison setting (Abu Ghraib) but it involves prejudice and discrimination as well :smile:
Thank you for the fast response!!!!!!!

No problem :smile: I guess answering questions helps with my own revision haha
As you can probably tell I'm procrastinating from this revision :afraid::afraid:
Anyone think a key issue or practical could come up for the 12 marker??

Mhm, How to prevent atrocities or how can you reduce prejudice in social situations like crowd behaviour
Reply 56
Does Social Identity Theory state that prejudice only occurs when there's competition between groups or that prejudice can arise even when there isn't competition???
Original post by fannehh
Does Social Identity Theory state that prejudice only occurs when there's competition between groups or that prejudice can arise even when there isn't competition???

It's realistic conflict theory that talks about competition SIT states that it can occur without competition, just the creation of two groups :smile:
(I'm always scared of posting answers in threads in case I get them wrong)
Reply 58
Does anyone know if Baddeleys 1966b study which suggests that the stm is acoustic and the ltm is semantic applies to both the multi store model and the working memory model? As in the text book it says it's used to support the working memory model but idk why it can't be applied to both models of memory ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Also does anyone know what the role of the central executive and the episodic buffer is in the wmm? I don't really understand what it does.. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending