The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Official Business Unit 1: Marketing and people - 19th of MAy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I really angry at myself... only realised I had the 20 marker to do when they said theres 10 minutes left. Feel like they were clutching at straws on some of the questions...
For the 20 marker I spoke about their past; how they were successful with the flower postage and deliveries, commented on their expansion nationwide and how they were able to cater for more customers because of this. Talked about distributing online. Many people have access to the Internet and so can buy online as more people are becoming aware of their online presence. Drawbacks of the Post Office on transport costs of distributing through post office, plus being unable to directly cater for those who buy online. Drawbacks of online sales being that transport costs may increase higher than the transports costs with the post office e.g. having to pay for vans and fuel rather than just postage and delivery. Not everyone has access to the Internet whereas more people have access to postage. Also, distributing through the Post office brings about less costs and may in the long term pay off the £1m investment.
Original post by nickg15b
I have been using this to get my grades up since the jan mocks. Just follow the instructions on the guide and I promise you wont regret it.

http://technocratnotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Technocrat-Notes-Orignals-AS-Level-Edexcel-Business-Studies-Theme-1-Marketing-and-People.pdf

Have you got the Theme 2 version of these?
Reply 63
I was completely stumped on the 4 marker about income elasticity, and what was the profit maximization thing about!?!
I messed up on the income elasticity question and did 3500-2000/3500 and got -19.5 as a final answer. Probally got 0 out of 4 on that. Apart from that the paper went ok. The whole thing felt rushed.
First half was absolutely great, second/third half was absolutely sh*t!
Original post by Bobby9444
I messed up on the income elasticity question and did 3500-2000/3500 and got -19.5 as a final answer. Probally got 0 out of 4 on that. Apart from that the paper went ok. The whole thing felt rushed.

Yeah, you might get a mark for the correct working out! I put the answer as a positive rather than a negative which may void my marks too
Original post by xJaayyy
Yeah, you might get a mark for the correct working out! I put the answer as a positive rather than a negative which may void my marks too

As long as the rest of the paper went ok you should be fine. Hopefully ill get a few method marks.
I think I need Bunches flowers for my funeral on results day...

And when I saw that social trends question and distribution

Original post by Fleur16
I was completely stumped on the 4 marker about income elasticity, and what was the profit maximization thing about!?!

If you wrote the formula for YED and put the numbers in the formula you'd get like 2 marks or something.
Welp that was a terrible paper, probably only got about 5 marks on the 20 marker and had to rush a few of those 8/10 markers... didn't think to write that delayering creates opportunities for promotion increasing motivation
Original post by SubZero~
For the 20 marker I spoke about their past; how they were successful with the flower postage and deliveries, commented on their expansion nationwide and how they were able to cater for more customers because of this. Talked about distributing online. Many people have access to the Internet and so can buy online as more people are becoming aware of their online presence. Drawbacks of the Post Office on transport costs of distributing through post office, plus being unable to directly cater for those who buy online. Drawbacks of online sales being that transport costs may increase higher than the transports costs with the post office e.g. having to pay for vans and fuel rather than just postage and delivery. Not everyone has access to the Internet whereas more people have access to postage. Also, distributing through the Post office brings about less costs and may in the long term pay off the £1m investment.

Well done, i had similar points, I was told to put application and put about Royal mail for example being privatised in the conclusion.
Was the question after the YED calculation about YED or PED? I wrote about YED...
For my 10 marker on profit maximisation i said they could expand to frozen food in one point and in my second i talked about dominating the market Are these okay for knowledge marks?

And in my 20 mark i talked about online retailing and said that there are less intermediaries and middle men so it was more profitable and for the post office i said that there is a strong brand and they use royal mail which is expensive because it is a long distribution channel. Did i answer the question right?

And also if i mentioned something as an advantage but it was actually a disadvantage will i get any marks?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HazNut134
Was the question after the YED calculation about YED or PED? I wrote about YED...

YED, you could of talked about necessity goods, and inferior goods etc
No idea what I was supposed to say about the post office, I thought they wanted the post office to send their flowers or something lol
Reply 76
Original post by HazNut134
Welp that was a terrible paper, probably only got about 5 marks on the 20 marker and had to rush a few of those 8/10 markers... didn't think to write that delayering creates opportunities for promotion increasing motivation

Delayering reduces opportunities* Not increases it. Less layers would mean that there's less opportunity to become e.g a manager. Get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foji
Delayering reduces opportunities* Not increases it. Less layers would mean that there's less opportunity to become e.g a manager. Get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah that's what I meant, but yeah didn't think of that, I said there was less job security because people might be made redundant when a layer is removed, and put that consultation with higher up managers would be easier, which was a bit of a desperate point to put down
Reply 78
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I think I need Bunches flowers for my funeral on results day...

And when I saw that social trends question and distribution

Could relate more 😂 This was the worst business paper I have ever done
I also got -34.1 for the income elasticity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending