The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 4B Pre-release

Scroll to see replies

I did GEO4B last year and got full UMS. I can only recommend doing a tonne of research and trying to predict possible questions that they could give you. Also as part of your research be 'synoptic' which means referring to different parts of Geography e.g. for this years energy theme, it may be worth looking at the cost of providing energy and impact on jobs etc.

Good luck and don't panic. As long as you have solid and detailed notes you should be fine
Original post by Stre$$edStudent
So I decided to contact Roseacre Awareness Group to get a real insight into what it's like for the local community, mainly because I live far away and also because Cuadrilla said they couldn't give me a site visit because they have to "prioritise" local students lol, anyway, I think this is a good read and in particular just shows the scale of fracking in the UK. I believe this is a good enough insight and after looking at the Cuadrilla website, it definitely helps balance an all important evaluative question, if we are asked one, to do with local impact/ whether cuadrilla should be allowed to continue fracking etc etc. This is the email I sent, with their responses, I hope this helps.

Hi there, I was wondering if it is possible to give me an insight as to what it is like to potentially have a local area used for hydraulic fracturing. I am a Alevel geography student and this year our unit 4 examination is on fracking in the UK, particularly Cuadrillas plans at sites Roseacre Wood and Preston Road. I would really appreciate if you could answer the following questions for me, so I can clearly get a balanced argument as we are likely to have to come to a decision whether fracking should occur on these sites, for the examination.

1) What are the direct impacts to local residents in the Roseacre wood area, of hydraulic fracturing?

Loss of amenity, dark skies, ability to sleep. Stress, anxiety, loss of future capital, all have a huge impact on everyone except those who have or are due to receive a life changing amount of money. In essence one or two local families gain while the rest loose out. Some mortgage companies won't offer mortgages within a certain radius of a fracking site. Potential for property damage, increased insurance premiums and limited life expectancy. Cuadrilla continue to say this is temporary even if it's for 30+ years. That's my lifetime. When saying temporary they are allowed to use different equipment ( cheaper for them but with a greater impact on residents) . I may to listen to drilling 24/7,365 days a year- not acceptable. Where is the respite?

2) Given our current energy crisis, should people be more optimistic with fracking plans?

No - we are an island with both wave and wind power. Harness that it isn't dirty energy. We could harness the power of a stream , solar power. Strange that the govt have cut the subs isn't it even though we are facing huge climate change issues.

3) Has the proposal of hydraulic fracturing in this area had any direct impact on house prices?

Definitely although the Government and Cuadrilla would have you believe they didn't. The week the announcement was made a local resident accepted an offer 14% less than the asking price- this was the adjacent village. A house in Roseacre reduced theirs by 18%, initially they sold to a farmer in the village . We have been unable to sell our property (500 metres from site) and have a letter from our estate agent advising until the threat has gone away we won't be able to sell. How would you feel if you couldn't move? You wanted to apply for a job in a different part of the country, you wanted to move to be with partner, young children or elderly parents. All those choices have been taken away from you. This will lead to a dying community .

4) As a local resident/ awareness group, do you think Cuadrilla are approaching the situation as ethically as possible? (particularly environmentally)

Not at all, they are paying said experts when cross examined can't answer questions. Previous sites have not been reinstated. They have only reinstated one after LCC said they had no evidence that they could actually do it. For Cuadrilla it's about profit and not people. The standards committee have told them to stop lying and when presented with evidence ( traffic surveys, impact on ability to sell) they continue to say it has no impact. (See 2 above) . they are also proposing at RW to drill for gas in a village that doesn't have gas.

5) What would you say is the main concern of the majority of local residents to do with fracking?

Noise, smell, chemicals, flow back and its effect on our water. Loss of amenity, limited life expectancy. No peace and quiet. Stress . Ability to move, loss of money.

I also found this fracking timeline to show the changes in fracking in the UK over time, which is quite useful

https://paulcairney.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/fracking-uk-timeline.pdf

omfg this is amazing!! quick question "Strange that the govt have cut the subs isn't it even though we are facing huge climate change issues." what does this mean because I have 0 idea??? :smile:
Original post by edward090

omfg this is amazing!! quick question "Strange that the govt have cut the subs isn't it even though we are facing huge climate change issues." what does this mean because I have 0 idea??? :smile:

Government subsidies/ spending for particular energy has been cut. You should do more research as I'm not 100% sure but this article is relatable. Basically I think she's getting at, we have a major energy crisis and fracking isn't a solution so they shouldn't be making cuts.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/17/uk-solar-panel-subsidies-slashed-paris-climate-change
Could anyone provide a quick summary of the graphs please? Having trouble analysing them
Reply 44
Original post by annabelflynn
Could anyone provide a quick summary of the graphs please? Having trouble analysing them

I'd really appreciate that too as I'm not 100% sure that I'm reading them correctly!
Also, anyone able to give any help with the fieldwork side, my teacher has told us to come up with the set of questions and hypothesis ourselves but I've literally spent a week trying to come up with stuff and I can't :frown:
Original post by Hesterrose
Also, anyone able to give any help with the fieldwork side, my teacher has told us to come up with the set of questions and hypothesis ourselves but I've literally spent a week trying to come up with stuff and I can't :frown:

Really? My teacher put all the answers on a PowerPoint for us to learn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way! our teacher just won't give us any help with it. would you be able to help me?
No way! our teacher just won't give us any help with it. would you be able to help me?

Yeah mate ill PM you later when I have access to my computer

Thank you!
Reply 50

Would you be able to PM them to me as well? Thanks
Reply 51

Oh would you mind sending them to me too, please??? Cheers xx

Could you send them to me too please!!!
Reply 53

sorry to be a beg, but would you mind sending them to me as well? I have no idea what to do!!
Would you be able to share with me too? Thanks 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MiriamSandhu
Would you be able to share with me too? Thanks 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by eveog
sorry to be a beg, but would you mind sending them to me as well? I have no idea what to do!!

Original post by annabelflynn
Could you send them to me too please!!!

Original post by maridonna
Oh would you mind sending them to me too, please??? Cheers xx

Original post by GMogOx
Would you be able to PM them to me as well? Thanks

Thank you!

Hi guys,
I haven't had access to a computer today so will send you all the PowerPoint tomorrow. Please don't pass it around to all your mates, I don't want everyone getting hold of it
Sorry to be the last one to beg but is there any chance I could have it. It seems like all teachers just give up with this exam. http://www.geog.biz/exam-paper-work-over-christmas/ Here's a good website in exchange
Original post by ButtonsBile
Sorry to be the last one to beg but is there any chance I could have it. It seems like all teachers just give up with this exam. http://www.geog.biz/exam-paper-work-over-christmas/ Here's a good website in exchange

Last one haha
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I have it too please please? I am the only one doing it in my school and have no help at all!! I'm begging :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, Sorry to be a beg. Would you mind sharing them with me too? My teacher barely helped us with this unit and I'm really stuck :frown:

Thank you in advance!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending