The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Very much so, i went to a PwC "open day" but it was weird you had to register intrest beforehand and there were only 50 people or so there probably less.I remember many i met where going to oxbridge/LSE/UCL but the person who answered our questions told us that its not requried to go to university to do a degree if you want to become an accountant, in fact it can be a waste of time depending on if your sure/unsure about your career path. She was 24 i think and she was saying something about when people call her for advice (clients) she charges £55 an hour just to speak to them on the phone, i thought that was rather remarkable at the time.Yet she was a minority at the PwC office i visted, many had degrees in financial subjects such as finance, buisness mangagement, accoutancy, economics. All in all, its very much possible and most probably the fastest way to become an accountant is to skip uni. I know loads of people going to uni just for the fun even though they know their "wasting" three years at university whereas if they where with a firm from after a levels they could be qualified within three years and earning money, adv of this i find is your peers are in debt and finding a job whereas you have your solid qualification and are with a firm getting paid already, quite a incentive really :smile:

Regards
Reply 2
i've done loads of reasearch and there are plenty of job wanting a-level or GCSE leavers to work for them as they train. wages aren't too bad and i'd rather be earning money than wasting it at uni for 3/4 years if i don't need it

i have an interview for pwc on fri in the HEADstart programme which is meant to be good if not msot businesses advertise inlocal papers or online

the only catch is that they normally hold a deadline as if they train you they 'expect' u to stay with them for a certain amount of years.
Reply 3
I'd recommend looking into the Headstart programmes like blondie as....
Reply 4
I think some companies take you on as Trainees or something, similar to the PwC's HEADStart programme.
Reply 5
There's loads of trainee positions that don't require a degree. Just look at reed.co.uk etc.
Reply 6
A girl at my school dropped out after year 12 and she's becoming an accountant now. Sorry don't no all the details
Reply 8
That looks great but try to notice that in time of 10 yrs, even less, wage without degree will be lower for sure. Degree is a investment and you have to wait to derive benefits. Just it :smile:
Reply 9
zDjM
That looks great but try to notice that in time of 10 yrs, even less, wage without degree will be lower for sure. Degree is a investment and you have to wait to derive benefits. Just it :smile:

Well I'm doing without uni so I'll get back to you on difference in pay!!!
Reply 10
Do you want to tell me there's no difference? i don't believe in.
zDjM

some of you are dreamers! The very very odd few will go on to make it but without a degree most of the time your career will reach a glass ceiling as for example if you want to work for a bank they ask for a degree minimum! I agree some of these few programmes may lead to a decent career if ur a very bright student but u'll wish you had a degree yrs down the line!
Reply 12
I'd like to bump this thread..

I'm not sure whether to apply to University next year or apply to the school leaver programs offered by KPMG or PWC.

Anymore advice will be useful. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 13
Go to Uni.
Reply 14
I did both! Ended up that my decision was made for me by not getting through the companies' assessment days, but if I had an offer, then I wouldn't go to uni.
Reply 15
Original post by NC18
Well I'm doing without uni so I'll get back to you on difference in pay!!!

well is there a difference?
It's arguably better to do accountancy without a degree, as you can do an apprenticeship and gain your qualifications whilst getting paid. Compared to Uni where you will end up in debt. You will also gain more experience and even if you go to uni you'll still be expected to gain the same qualifications. On the other hand uni life is amazing.
Here is a list of things required to become an accountant:

a) Education and Training - Getting adequate technical training and proficiency. This can be attained by relevant accounting education, experience, and industry knowledge.
b) Certifications and professional qualifications - Undertaking accounting certifications like CPA, CMA, etc., will provide you the extra push needed to establish and grow your career in accounting.
c) Learning and Competency - Remaining competent to market changes and recent developments in the field of accounting.

Though your question mentions not having a university degree, you must know that an accounting degree plays an important role in your journey to become an accountant.
Original post by Varunjain
Here is a list of things required to become an accountant:

a) Education and Training - Getting adequate technical training and proficiency. This can be attained by relevant accounting education, experience, and industry knowledge.
b) Certifications and professional qualifications - Undertaking accounting certifications like CPA, CMA, etc., will provide you the extra push needed to establish and grow your career in accounting.
c) Learning and Competency - Remaining competent to market changes and recent developments in the field of accounting.

Though your question mentions not having a university degree, you must know that an accounting degree plays an important role in your journey to become an accountant.

CPA and CMA are not common qualifications in the UK - you've copied this from an overseas forum. Please be careful about sharing unreliable information. An accounting degree is not important in becoming an accountant - a minority of qualified accountants in the UK have one.
I’m looking at this 13 years later. What’s up

Latest

Trending

Trending