The Student Room Group

Partially sighted student seeks advice!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emizi
Thank you very much for your insight. Do you pull your course work up on your tablet then? I have an IPad but I've not used to to assist me In my learning.

I don't study any more. But I use my tablet for pretty much everything now. Because I can't read print anymore without severe difficulties, I also use a Kindle. (I find it difficult to read books on a tablet - the surface is too shiny)

When I was with the OU, all their coursebooks were in PDF format, I think it was, which was so helpful. The problem for me (and it's why I've now got a 2 in 1 laptop) is that I tend to hunch over if I read a book or use my tablet. With the 2 in 1s, you can change the angle at which you view the screen.
Reply 21
Original post by Tiger Rag
I don't study any more. But I use my tablet for pretty much everything now. Because I can't read print anymore without severe difficulties, I also use a Kindle. (I find it difficult to read books on a tablet - the surface is too shiny)

When I was with the OU, all their coursebooks were in PDF format, I think it was, which was so helpful. The problem for me (and it's why I've now got a 2 in 1 laptop) is that I tend to hunch over if I read a book or use my tablet. With the 2 in 1s, you can change the angle at which you view the screen.

Yeah I hunch over my laptop which doesn't help with the osteoporosis in my back, haha. I'll maybe look into one of those. Just got to find whatever makes the next 4 years the easiest, haha.
Original post by Emizi
Yeah I hunch over my laptop which doesn't help with the osteoporosis in my back, haha. I'll maybe look into one of those. Just got to find whatever makes the next 4 years the easiest, haha.

They're about ÂŁ350-400.

Some other things that may help you, include a note taker. I was emailed the lecture notes. No matter where I sat, I couldn't see them properly. I was also given things like a dictaphone, (voice recorder) printer and ink, software, (text to speech) extra time in exams and modified papers.

Like you, I'm now having to wear a different pair of glasses for reading.
Reply 23
They're about ÂŁ350-400.

Some other things that may help you, include a note taker. I was emailed the lecture notes. No matter where I sat, I couldn't see them properly. I was also given things like a dictaphone, (voice recorder) printer and ink, software, (text to speech) extra time in exams and modified papers.

Like you, I'm now having to wear a different pair of glasses for reading.

Thank you so much. Wasn't aware so much is available to me. I have an open day on 16th at my chosen university so I will certainly be finding out how I start the ball rolling.

It's really annoying swapping them over, isn't it. I usually end up with two pairs of glasses on my noggin.
Original post by Emizi
Thank you so much. Wasn't aware so much is available to me. I have an open day on 16th at my chosen university so I will certainly be finding out how I start the ball rolling.

It's really annoying swapping them over, isn't it. I usually end up with two pairs of glasses on my noggin.

If you can, ensure you talk to the disability services at your uni. I was lucky in one way - the old head of department was blind.

I've not got my reading glasses yet; but I know that's one thing that's going to annoy me.
Reply 25
If you can, ensure you talk to the disability services at your uni. I was lucky in one way - the old head of department was blind.

I've not got my reading glasses yet; but I know that's one thing that's going to annoy me.

I would say it gets better, but it's 18 months since my operation and I still get annoyed about swapping them over, lol.
Really good advice so far. On the open day why not drop in and see the disabiliyu officer and they can explain what measures they could put in place to help you? that might make you feel more comfy. Windows pcs you cna just change the basic font to be bigger print. Every uni these days should be well used to catering forstudents with disabilities.

They might not print you off their notes, but any handout they could email you and you could print it yourself in large text.
Original post by 999tigger

They might not print you off their notes, but any handout they could email you and you could print it yourself in large text.

Mine did this. And it's actually easier. The definition of large print is font size 16, which for me, just looks like standard size print. And white paper is horrible (because it's too bright) to read off.

Quick Reply

Latest