The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i read through my revision guides making notes and highlighting
and also using my interactive maths revision cd mathswatch which is really good, as i have had to really teach myself the whole course :s-smilie:
Reply 2
All I do is read through notes and memorise as I go along. Then the day before the exam, I read through everything again just to refresh my memory, which only takes about an hour.
The way I see it is that I've worked hard over the past two years so I'm not going to panic if I come across something new or different. You'll see people who revise like mules over this upcoming week but revising 10 hours for one subject doesn't necessarily mean they'll do better than someone who hasn't revised to that extent at all.

My revision technique is pretty simple. Do past papers, analyse where I went wrong, and correct it. I'll also go over some revision guides for Science and the read over the remaining 6 short stories for English. Other than that, it's all about practising exam techniques.

I've been taking revision one step at a time depending on which exam I've got next. I'm focusing on science, english, and maths over the next two weeks. Then on the remaining week, I'll focus on french and ethics.
I had a structured day, but not so much a rigid timetable (because I never stuck to it) but I just decided how many hours a day I wanted to revise (probably 3-4) how I wanted to organise it (30-45 minute sessions with 10-15 minute breaks in between) and what subjects I wanted to revise. I used revision guides for science, food technology and history, just class work for everything else, made my own bullet point notes, read through them repeating them to myelf and did practice questions/past papers.
Reply 5
Well, I've took it pretty easy after English Lit (AQA A) and ICT (OCR A) on Tuesday. In fact I'm here right now, because I can't bare to do any more revision tonight.

The best way to revise is past papers, there is no doubt about it. I was reading my revision guide for Geography, I could recite facts etc, but I sat down to do my first past paper today (I have been putting it off) and realised the questions are very simple, yet I couldn't answer them. By trail and error and reading the mark schemes I could tell exactly where I could score marks. People don't realise explaining a point often gets you an extra mark, always EXPAIN, EXPAIN, EXPLAIN!

Anyone after past papers check the AQA website, even if AQA is not your course. I do OCR ICT, but I used AQA past papers, which covered the style of questions that come up (sounds odd, but OCR have totally changed the specification, old OCR past papers were pretty much useless).

Use AQA for Maths, I do the Edexcel course, and there is little difference in the specification. I find by looking over mark schemes I can pick up a grade by looking what examiners look for when marking your paper (simple stuff like rounding figures correctly or using the correct unit in Physics will get you a mark).
Reply 6
I normally use a method similar to kellywoods, but like abbeh said thats not really effective in subjects such as geography i think i'll try your way abbeh god knows i need the paper practise, good luck peeps
Reply 7
Just read revision guides and do papers if possble
Reply 8
i am soooo nervous that i am even dreaming that i am doing a gcse every day and the paper was easy!
Reply 9
i read through notes and revision guides and then do past papers. I want to get an A or A* for science so i have a massive lever file that has so many past papers in it that i can't fit any more in there. It's got to the point where i can't be bothered to do anything now - it's annoying because loads of people i know are just chilling through the half term while i'm stuck in my study with my head down in books. I revised so much geography that i had a dream i was walking along a coast and the whole cliff fell into the sea because of hydraulic action and corrasion.
Reply 10
i memorize stuff!!! spesh with science. just note down the key points of a page in the revision guide and then memorize it - write it down over and over again unti its well and truly in your head - you'll find that it stays there!! thats really useful for science and maths if you get a question on whatever topic it was you memorized you can just write down the page of your revision guide and bingo full marks!!! this has been really useful for me as im predicted a* in science and i havent listened one bit in the last two years!!!! eek!!!
i just chill lol

i know people who are doing a 6h+ revision day every day they have during study leave. I laugh at them lol. I know I shouldn't because thats their decision and they think that'll help them, and they want the A*s, but doing that much (well for me) is counter productive.

firstly, most unis (just about all) would take you in on 6/7A*s and the rest As (maybe a slipped B), so spending your life solidifying straight A*s is a tad unnecessary and unis would rather you be a well rounded individual too lol.

back to revision front. I have been revising lightly (hour a day) for about 3 or 4 months, and so im pretty set before study leave. now, over study leave, I can just do 2-4 hours a day, then every 3rd day take a day out, and relax. this is good for the brain, it destresses it.

also, i go bike riding (im an extreme freerider lol), and build jumps and stuff to do too every evening. i find this a great way to reflect after reviison in the morning and lunchish time. you realise that school aint everything in life, and it also gives yours brain a break from study too which is great/

i also never do a timetable, instead just do what i think at the time is necessary and the subjects and sectiosn im weakest on

hope that helps...
Reply 12
I'm currently doing AS so you probably won't care at what I have to say, I did my GCSE's last year.

I went through all my classwork for that particular subject, then made notes and highlighted parts to not make it look so dull. Keeps you entertained I guess.

I didn't actually do past papers, but I read through to find out the question styles and typical answers. I did alright from it :smile:
Reply 13
anatomy
i read through notes and revision guides and then do past papers. I want to get an A or A* for science so i have a massive lever file that has so many past papers in it that i can't fit any more in there. It's got to the point where i can't be bothered to do anything now - it's annoying because loads of people i know are just chilling through the half term while i'm stuck in my study with my head down in books. I revised so much geography that i had a dream i was walking along a coast and the whole cliff fell into the sea because of hydraulic action and corrasion.

Hah i actually laughed at this :rolleyes: anybody else want to join us TSR guys at a huge geography text book bonfire >:biggrin:
Reply 14
hbk91
The way I see it is that I've worked hard over the past two years so I'm not going to panic if I come across something new or different. You'll see people who revise like mules over this upcoming week but revising 10 hours for one subject doesn't necessarily mean they'll do better than someone who hasn't revised to that extent at all.

My revision technique is pretty simple. Do past papers, analyse where I went wrong, and correct it. I'll also go over some revision guides for Science and the read over the remaining 6 short stories for English. Other than that, it's all about practising exam techniques.

I've been taking revision one step at a time depending on which exam I've got next. I'm focusing on science, english, and maths over the next two weeks. Then on the remaining week, I'll focus on french and ethics.

Yes! Finally someone who sees it the way I do. I do exactly the same. Past papers, check, write notes of things I got wrong etc. (rinse and repeat)
Reply 15
SouthernFreerider
i just chill lol

i know people who are doing a 6h+ revision day every day they have during study leave. I laugh at them lol. I know I shouldn't because thats their decision and they think that'll help them, and they want the A*s, but doing that much (well for me) is counter productive.

firstly, most unis (just about all) would take you in on 6/7A*s and the rest As (maybe a slipped B), so spending your life solidifying straight A*s is a tad unnecessary and unis would rather you be a well rounded individual too lol.

back to revision front. I have been revising lightly (hour a day) for about 3 or 4 months, and so im pretty set before study leave. now, over study leave, I can just do 2-4 hours a day, then every 3rd day take a day out, and relax. this is good for the brain, it destresses it.

also, i go bike riding (im an extreme freerider lol), and build jumps and stuff to do too every evening. i find this a great way to reflect after reviison in the morning and lunchish time. you realise that school aint everything in life, and it also gives yours brain a break from study too which is great/

i also never do a timetable, instead just do what i think at the time is necessary and the subjects and sectiosn im weakest on

hope that helps...

Do uni's really look for 6/7 A*'s? I would have thought that was only for the really competitive courses at places like Oxbridge.
Reply 16
i'm not really sure =/ havent been thinking too much about what the uni's look for except for good grades best to think about getting great gcse's then give a damn about the uni
Yes, universities are competitive but the minority (i.e top 10/20) will demand a minimum of 6/7 a* with a few exceptions of course. You've got to remember that getting a*'s shows exceptional performance...etc and that it exceeds the average (i.e b/c). Nevertheless, the majority of universities will actually be more than happy with a's/b's mainly with a few exceptions of c's.
tc123
Do uni's really look for 6/7 A*'s? I would have thought that was only for the really competitive courses at places like Oxbridge.

More places like LSE and Durham than Oxbridge because they don't interview, so they have to use GCSEs to discriminate, but yeah, it's only for certain courses (medicine at a lot of unis, law, English, history) and most unis aren't as bothered about them.
tc123

yeh ill apply for oxbridge, but my main goal is to get in at the uni of british colombia and i have no idea what they demand yet but they are quite respeced out there, and i dont want to "close doors" in a sense, but saying "o well, straight As will do, lets not bother with A*s" is a bad call cause i may not get in at ubc, despite me doing everything i can to get in there.

6/7A*s for me is perfect. can get you anywhere and you can still develop as a human being as opposed to an acedemically obsessed person.

Latest