The Student Room Group

Can we all reflect on all the good things Islam does for the world?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by egypt94

No, in the UK we are not extreme about our views of religion, however there still remains an underlying tendency to conflate islam and terrorism which is inherently wrong. However the USA is certainly anti-islam. Maybe not universally, but there is a genuine attempt to prevent all Islam and muslims from having any kind of representation in America. I know in the UK we like to characterise people like Donald Trump as idiotic and totally unacceptable in a liberal country (which is true), but depressing in the USA he has a lot of supporters, and this is indicative of their racial attitudes.

Finally, I have already stated that I too am an atheist but that does not mean that I cannot see the positive aspects of religion, even if I fundamentally disagree with their belief system as a whole.

there maybe under current of racism in usa in general - this is not applicable necessarrily to the Trump question , there are people of all races nd faiths in usa being stirred up to be suspicious of those with an islamic agenda - this is purely because what they have seen people with an islamic agenda do over the last few decades.

ultimalty they ask, do people with islamic agendas work for the good of the world, or for the good of islamic agendas. they ask will muslims be loyal to the usa and its ideals , or those of islam first and foremost. obviously majority muslims are decent law abiding people, but Trump , as an unpleasant scare-mongering politician that he is, points out that islam is not helping some muslims do the right thing - its not about race, its about ideology
Original post by Frank Underwood
Would you rather be a dead corpse then?

his point is what caused ths hike in security and suspicion around the globe.
Helps goats get laid.
Original post by Reformed
his point is what caused ths hike in security and suspicion around the globe.

He said "Yes, let us be grateful for the anal probing we get every-time we want to go abroad via an airport"

Doesn't seem to reflect your theory on what his point is. And I am grateful for our high security, otherwise planes would be dropping out of the sky by terrorists at a greater rate. But it took four simultaneous hijackings to convince airports to drastically up their security.
Original post by Frank Underwood
He said "Yes, let us be grateful for the anal probing we get every-time we want to go abroad via an airport"

Doesn't seem to reflect your theory on what his point is. And I am grateful for our high security, otherwise planes would be dropping out of the sky by terrorists at a greater rate. But it took four simultaneous hijackings to convince airports to drastically up their security.

before islamic terrorism, noone ever predicted the extreme risk poses to all airlines in all places. noone predicted that there would be people carrying explosive liquids in their bags. this is enduring lasting result of islamiic groups operating round the world - and essetnially waht we know of them the most
Original post by Reformed
before islamic terrorism, noone ever predicted the extreme risk poses to all airlines in all places. noone predicted that there would be people carrying explosive liquids in their bags. this is enduring lasting result of islamiic groups operating round the world - and essetnially waht we know of them the most

This better be a joke, just take a short skim-read of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_hijackings
Original post by zramazhar

How can Islam be responsible for the actions of certain individuals? As I said before, Islam cannot be put down because of the actions carried out by some "Muslims".

To be honest, it is a matter of interpretation. Some people have more extreme interpretations of the religion. The crusaders were Christians much like ISIS are Muslims. But they obviously don't reflect the interpretation of Islam that all Muslims have. Islam and Christianity are not the problem at hand, but rather the interpretation of the religions by certain individuals.

Now the problem is that no matter how much ones tries to argue that Islam isn't a religion of violence or intolerance, there exist certain vocal Muslims on TSR who through their extreme interpretations of Islam, give Islam a very negative image on TSR. For as long as there are Muslim members on TSR saying that Ahmadi Muslims should be killed or being gay is a punishable crime, and these members' posts go unchallenged by other Muslim members on TSR, you are going to have a lot of trouble trying to get people to understand that not all Muslims are extreme. If Muslims really want to change the image of Islam on TSR, these people need to be challenged. That isn't to say no Muslims on TSR challenge such interpretations, but just that there are too few who are willing to vocally criticise these extreme interpretations.
Original post by zramazhar
In the major news channels, there was not even a single mention. I only found out today and many of my friends were not even aware that Turkey was attacked as well. SELECTIVE MEDIA, the media shows us what they want to show!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, each one of those bombings was mentioned and covered. I was aware of each one

Perhaps you're just poorly informed?
Original post by Yisithegr8
their own misinterpretation of the quran

Perfect answer
Original post by The Epicurean
as long as there are Muslim members on TSR saying that Ahmadi Muslims should be killed or being gay is a punishable crime, and these members' posts go unchallenged by other Muslim members on TSR, you are going to have a lot of trouble trying to get people to understand that not all Muslims are extreme. If Muslims really want to change the image of Islam on TSR, these people need to be challenged. That isn't to say no Muslims on TSR challenge such interpretations, but just that there are too few who are willing to vocally criticise these extreme interpretations.
true

and this is true for the Muslim community in general : only when you will have a majority of Muslims openly disagreeing with adulterers being stoned, homosexuals being thrown off high buildings, apostates given three days to repent and then executed, blasphemers being killed, amputations etc, until these views are not openly challenged and become marginal in Muslim communities, it is useless to present Islam as a "religion of peace"

next to no one will believe it : just like next to no one, apart from Muslims, believes that Islam was spread from Arabia to North Africa to Spain etc by peaceful means, and not by violent invasion
(edited 8 years ago)
Islam pushed forwards scientific and mathematical progress for hundreds of years and was a chief contributer until the renaissance. I don't know of anying major that's good they've done since then though.
Original post by Multiculturalism
Yes please!

I completely agree!

you're trying too hard
Um.... Coffee, right?
Original post by morgan8002
Islam pushed forwards scientific and mathematical progress for hundreds of years and was a chief contributer until the renaissance. I don't know of anying major that's good they've done since then though.
according to Bernard Lewis, Muslims started asking themselves why they were so clearly falling back with respect to the disbelievers already at the end of the 17th century

His very well-known book on this is "What went wrong ?" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Went_Wrong%3F

Many Muslims are still asking themselves the same question today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending