The Student Room Group

Alternative Finance

Hi all,
I'd be really interested to hear your guys thoughts on alternative finance. Alternative finance is presenting a major challenge to both established banking models and a significant opportunity to diversify sources of finance. Almost a decade after Lehmans crashed back in 2008, European companies and consumers can still find established banks reluctant or unable to extent credit, leaving a gap for new and innovative channels of financing. The UK itself is at the forefront of the European alternative finance industry with London fast developing as a global hub to rival Silicon Valley in the US. Given this, has anyone here got any experience with peer-to-peer lending or other forms of alternative finance? If so, did you find them profitable/useful, and do you think this industry will boom or bust looking forward?

Personally I think it is a huge innovation which is likely to transform the banking industry looking forward and will probably be especially useful for financing small loans.

Cheers,
Alex
We've got a few questions at Almanis if you guys are interested in learning about or predicting the future of AltFi as well, for example: https://app.almanis.com/#/outcomes/305 so let us know your thoughts!
Reply 2
Honest question: what is alternative finance?
Original post by estel
Honest question: what is alternative finance?

Sorry I probably should've made that clear! Alternative finance really covers any form of finance outside the 3 traditional types of assets (cash, stocks and bonds) - i.e. any form of finance outside the traditional scope of banks and capital markets. This includes but is not limited to peer-to-peer lending and crowdfunded equity - where new institutions are using technology to collate funds. Does this make sense?
Hmmm I'd be interested to see if this is changing over time and whether the percentage of the so called 'peer-to-peer' financing that is done by banks is increasing or decreasing
Original post by Alex from almanis
Hi all,
I'd be really interested to hear your guys thoughts on alternative finance. Alternative finance is presenting a major challenge to both established banking models and a significant opportunity to diversify sources of finance. Almost a decade after Lehmans crashed back in 2008, European companies and consumers can still find established banks reluctant or unable to extent credit, leaving a gap for new and innovative channels of financing. The UK itself is at the forefront of the European alternative finance industry with London fast developing as a global hub to rival Silicon Valley in the US. Given this, has anyone here got any experience with peer-to-peer lending or other forms of alternative finance? If so, did you find them profitable/useful, and do you think this industry will boom or bust looking forward?

Personally I think it is a huge innovation which is likely to transform the banking industry looking forward and will probably be especially useful for financing small loans.

Cheers,
Alex

as i plan on growing my company soon i have looked at issuing fixed percentage bonds at arround 20% return so i will get £250k and pay back £300k for ultra high end stock (tiffany, cartier, oscar hayman, rolex and some massive diamonds) and pay it back in full with the profits made (£660k post-tax) so i will have another £360,000 for reinvestment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending