The Student Room Group

Question for graduating students who don't have a job lined up for after graduation

What are you actually planning to do over this summer and beyond, after you leave uni? I have no plans at the moment and I'm too busy focusing on trying to get a 2:1!
Original post by vedderfan94
What are you actually planning to do over this summer and beyond, after you leave uni? I have no plans at the moment and I'm too busy focusing on trying to get a 2:1!

I was in your situation a few years ago and over the summer I planned to apply to and get a job. Unless you have the financial means to travel or do something else, I think this is your most likely course of action.
Why haven't you got a job lined up? Did you get a load of rejections or just not bother applying?

If the former, then go for something voluntary to boost your CV so you'll be better prepared to apply for grad jobs again next year. If the latter then start applying immediately, though the vast majority of grad jobs will be taken and you may end up having to go for retail.

I was in a slightly different situation to you, as I did a Masters in the September after I graduated. However I made sure to do work experience that summer- one of the placements I did has been invaluable in helping me secure interviews. If you aren't sure what to do or how to put together a good application, please please please visit your uni careers service for help & advice. You really should have time to fit in a visit or two. As others have said most grad schemes have closed for 2016 entry, however there are vacancies in non graduate schemes.
Original post by sr90
You get a job and then look for a better job.

The day I graduated I was working in John Lewis for £7 an hour. 6 months later I'd secured a £27k grad job.

Oh and if you don't want to move back home, start putting away as much money as you can.

You do realise most grad jobs aren't grad schemes?

Can I ask what does your role involve. What area?
What do you mean most grad jobs aren't grad scheme??

Thanks

I'm a final year grad with no job lined up. I have relative work experience but unable to secure graduate scheme because of low GCSE
Original post by helpmekid

What do you mean most grad jobs aren't grad scheme??

A grad scheme is just a batched entry method for employers who recruit large numbers of graduates every year, or a method of exposing recent graduates to a variety of roles, because being a graduate isn't enough, and you need an aptitude and interest to settle you into the right team in a diverse business. It's just another 'process' large (usually national level or international) companies use to get a bunch of newbies trained up to do something useful. For some organisations it is a more prestigious entry route, but for most it's just about handling bulk.

Many, many, many employers don't need to do this. They only recruit small numbers and can therefore treat people as individuals as they train them about the company, and they can recruit people into the right departments directly.

Seriously, you guys are now spending a small fortune on getting your degree - you really MUST engage with your University Careers Centre and learn the basics of job hunting, the terminology, the timing of applications, the diversity of jobs available, types of organisations and work sectors etc. You are making life massively more difficult for yourself by leaving the job hunt til after you have graduated
Reply 6

Keep at it. Get the degree done, take some time off, then start the job searching grind. There will always be jobs out there. Once you realise that there are job opportunities outside of graduate schemes, a whole new world will open for you. :wink:

If you need help with applying after uni, your careers centre will more than likely be able to help you out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ahpadt
Keep at it. Get the degree done, take some time off, then start the job searching grind. There will always be jobs out there. Once you realise that there are job opportunities outside of graduate schemes, a whole new world will open for you. :wink:

If you need help with applying after uni, your careers centre will more than likely be able to help you out.

How will you explain the time off on your CV and at interviews (if you get that far)?
Original post by stevey396
How will you explain the time off on your CV and at interviews (if you get that far)?

You will explain that you were looking for a job.
Reply 9
Original post by stevey396

You took some well deserved time off after university, then applied for jobs? Loads of people take time off for random things after uni. I was never asked about it.
Original post by sr90
You get a job and then look for a better job.

The day I graduated I was working in John Lewis for £7 an hour. 6 months later I'd secured a £27k grad job.

Oh and if you don't want to move back home, start putting away as much money as you can.

You do realise most grad jobs aren't grad schemes?

Hi, I know this post was a couple of years ago but came across this thread when googling. I`m a bit stuck as I`m graduating this summer and still don`t really know what to do afterwards and I`m balancing this anxiety with having to complete my dissertation this month! I`ve seen the career`s team twice about stuff and they recommend coming up with a short term and long term plans, recommending a graduate internship or something and then looking for a job. Some of the areas I`m considering, I`m a history graduate btw, are Compliance or maybe even Paralegal although every job advertised seems to near enough be recruitment consultancy! Basically I was just reading your post and looking for advice, should I not be panicking just yet and focusing on getting my degree, perhaps considering part time work to get me through the summer? Did you have a clear idea of what you wanted to do when you left?
Original post by The Monk
Hi, I know this post was a couple of years ago but came across this thread when googling. I`m a bit stuck as I`m graduating this summer and still don`t really know what to do afterwards and I`m balancing this anxiety with having to complete my dissertation this month! I`ve seen the career`s team twice about stuff and they recommend coming up with a short term and long term plans, recommending a graduate internship or something and then looking for a job. Some of the areas I`m considering, I`m a history graduate btw, are Compliance or maybe even Paralegal although every job advertised seems to near enough be recruitment consultancy! Basically I was just reading your post and looking for advice, should I not be panicking just yet and focusing on getting my degree, perhaps considering part time work to get me through the summer? Did you have a clear idea of what you wanted to do when you left?

No I had absolutely no idea what to do with myself and regularly broke down over it. I'd just get your degree, third year exams are tough enough without worrying about the future.

Based on experience i'd suggest the following.

- Make sure you actually want to do the job you're applying for. Don't just apply blindly for a load of things as interviewers see right through it. 1 quality application is better than 5 generic ones.
- Consider temping and internships (if you can afford one). The competition is much less and one of the main reasons I got my job is because I had temped in a similar area. Even though what I did was very basic entry level work.
- It's fine to have an unskilled job whilst you find something long term.
- Your first job isn't the one that defines your career. It's just to get a foot in the door.
- Don't compare yourself to your friends who may have jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending