The Student Room Group

Postgrad loan eligibility

Hi,

I'm looking to study a masters beginning this September, and I'm wanting to apply for a postgraduate loan for £10,000.

I have an undergraduate degree, but before that I studied a foundation year so my total study was for 4 years. Before the foundation year I studied one term of a different undergraduate degree before dropping out. As far as I'm aware, the loans I had for that period were taken out of my loans in future years, so I believe I've had the equivalent of 4 years of funding (3 years undergraduate and 1 year foundation).

Is the fact that I've had more than 3 years of funding likely to affect my eligibility for a postgraduate loan in September?

Thanks,

David
Original post by DavidAReed
Hi,

I'm looking to study a masters beginning this September, and I'm wanting to apply for a postgraduate loan for £10,000.

I have an undergraduate degree, but before that I studied a foundation year so my total study was for 4 years. Before the foundation year I studied one term of a different undergraduate degree before dropping out. As far as I'm aware, the loans I had for that period were taken out of my loans in future years, so I believe I've had the equivalent of 4 years of funding (3 years undergraduate and 1 year foundation).

Is the fact that I've had more than 3 years of funding likely to affect my eligibility for a postgraduate loan in September?

Thanks,

David

Postgrad loans are *on top of* undergrad loans (even the repayments are an extra percent from your income above the thresholds).

So even though you've used up all your extra years for undergrad you are still eligible for a PGL.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Postgrad loans are *on top of* undergrad loans (even the repayments are an extra percent from your income above the thresholds).

So even though you've used up all your extra years for undergrad you are still eligible for a PGL.

Thank you. I had my plus one year on my undergrad with the foundation year, and then I had a term doing film studies the year before. I think they made a mistake and paid me too much in subsequent years. I think i had a reduced loan one year, but I'm not sure whether it went all the way to making up for the extra half a year. I'm just hoping that isn't an issue because it wasn't actually my fault!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending