The Student Room Group

Why do some people get toned/ muscular easier then others

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
If you're truly been lifting for that amount of time, I'd be amazed by what you can accomplish after 8-10 years. :laugh:
I'm Mirin' your deadlift :biggrin: You're noob str gains are making me :drool: especially in 1 year time you'll be :dumbells:

How much do you weigh atm? I don't go for 1 RM and generally work off my 5 rep range.

I'm bulking up until 73.5kg (3lb/month) and then cutting back down to around roughly 8% body fat, which would be my first actual cut. I originally started out as 48kg at 5'9.5-5'10 hence why I don't compare myself to others and just compare myself to last week.

69.2kg from last week average weigh in.

Bench: 65x5.
Squat: 85x5
Deadlift: 112.5x5.
OHP: 50x5.

One key thing which I started doing quite a while back was tracking my lifts every workout in a journal book. It helps not only visualising long term results but also shows me that I can hit PRs every so often.

I've lifted for longer, but never more than 3 weeks of solid training and my diet has been non existent.

Now, I'm taking it seriously and I actually want a good physique when I never used to care about that sort of stuff.

I still love strength training and that's the main focus in the long term, but I want the by product of a good body as well so eventually once I've set a good foundation for strength, I'll focus primarily on aesthetics.

My deadlift is..well..my lift. My first time deadlifting or even lifting weights was when I got my own power rack and 200kg weight set. I loaded up 60kg, easy. Loaded up 100kg. Easy. Loaded up 130kg. Hard. First time deadlifting at about 75kg haha, but it impressed my friends who are bigger/stronger and even they couldn't do it as fluid as I could.

It just comes naturally to me. I can just do it. My squat eventually caught up as when I first started out I could barely squat 50kg. I have a lot of training to do to get my squat up to around 160kg which is where I want it.

Nice overhead press/bench. Those are the two I really struggle with, especially the form on bench.

I'm at about 83kg, 182cm.
Original post by MountKimbie
I've lifted for longer, but never more than 3 weeks of solid training and my diet has been non existent.

Now, I'm taking it seriously and I actually want a good physique when I never used to care about that sort of stuff.

I still love strength training and that's the main focus in the long term, but I want the by product of a good body as well so eventually once I've set a good foundation for strength, I'll focus primarily on aesthetics.

My deadlift is..well..my lift. My first time deadlifting or even lifting weights was when I got my own power rack and 200kg weight set. I loaded up 60kg, easy. Loaded up 100kg. Easy. Loaded up 130kg. Hard. First time deadlifting at about 75kg haha, but it impressed my friends who are bigger/stronger and even they couldn't do it as fluid as I could.

It just comes naturally to me. I can just do it. My squat eventually caught up as when I first started out I could barely squat 50kg. I have a lot of training to do to get my squat up to around 160kg which is where I want it.

Nice overhead press/bench. Those are the two I really struggle with, especially the form on bench.

I'm at about 83kg, 182cm.

You're a prime example of why I preach to people not to compare themselves to others in the sense where I've been lifting longer but I'm a good 3 years ish away from your deadlift & squat str :lol: Some people are simply better than others but "hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard."

That's crazy and amazing :laugh: at the same time that you can just pull "175kg deadlift for 2 reps + 130kg squat for 1" like its nothing yet I'm doing all kinds of different variations for deadlifts I.e rackpulls/deficit deadlifts/conventional/sumo + back squat/front squat/pause squats etc.

I care more about my physique & aesthetics more than my lifts purely because I'm more of a bodybuilder & future Men's physique competitor at heart than a power lifter etc.

Thanks but they seem more or less average given my lifting age & weight class.
I guarantee that in just a few months of lifting you'll easily surpass me on bench/OHP :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest