The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Stanmer or Northfield for post grads?

Hi everyone!

I'll be headed to Sussex this year to do my Masters, and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the relative benefits of staying in Stanmer or Northfield? I've not heard really fantastic things about Stanmer so far, eg. not sociable, really far from everyone, lots of noise because of the railway and dual carriageway, but it is cheaper than Northfield, easier to get to town, and much nearer to the psychology buildings. Northfield looks lovely, but it's pricier, and it seems like quite a bit of a trek away from the main campus (or from anywhere at all, really).

I'm torn between the convenience of Stanmer and the comfort of Northfield, so any opinions would be very much appreciated. I should probably mention that I'm an international student and it'll be my first time even being in England at all, so I'm keen to meet new people!
Reply 1
I am facing the same exact dilemma! I think I am leaning towards Stanmer though!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Right so I'm a sussex 3rd year who lived in northfield, but has many friends who have lived in stanmer park.

Firstly stanmer park, yes is right next to the train station, but that means its closer to the bus stop (which is literally just opposite the train station - you turn left when you leave your accommodation to get to the bus stop which is right there, and turn right is the train station) so in terms of commuting into central brighton or getting about is ideal - but the noise i can't speak for because I didn't live there. Although I have been in stanmer park, and theres very few windows, which to me made it feel a but like a prison more than anything else. Ontop, all the med students live there (which are the reason I know so much about it) but frankly, med students are annoying as hell to live with / near - because as much as they say they are accepting, they stick to their own, and if you aren't a medic its hell trying to break into that crowd.

In terms of northfield, I can see what you mean when you say its out the way, but this SHOULD NOT BE OVERSTATED. At MAX its a 10 min walk from what you would call the main campus which is library square, (probably could do it in 5/6 mins if you dont dawdle like I do). Regardless northfield is a nice option, its newer and pricier, and on the downs so instead of the train station you get fields and sheep and lovely views etc.

I'll cut the waffle, as a current student here who has seen both of these accommodations, definitely pick northfield. When people say its out the way, its not. If any accommodation is out the way, its stanmer because its technically not on the campus its just outside (literally right outside) but when you're here you'll see stanmer is way more removed from campus life than northfield.

Basically, i've given points about both, but go for northfield. Its better in every way.
Reply 3
Original post by King Boo
Right so I'm a sussex 3rd year who lived in northfield, but has many friends who have lived in stanmer park.

Firstly stanmer park, yes is right next to the train station, but that means its closer to the bus stop (which is literally just opposite the train station - you turn left when you leave your accommodation to get to the bus stop which is right there, and turn right is the train station) so in terms of commuting into central brighton or getting about is ideal - but the noise i can't speak for because I didn't live there. Although I have been in stanmer park, and theres very few windows, which to me made it feel a but like a prison more than anything else. Ontop, all the med students live there (which are the reason I know so much about it) but frankly, med students are annoying as hell to live with / near - because as much as they say they are accepting, they stick to their own, and if you aren't a medic its hell trying to break into that crowd.

In terms of northfield, I can see what you mean when you say its out the way, but this SHOULD NOT BE OVERSTATED. At MAX its a 10 min walk from what you would call the main campus which is library square, (probably could do it in 5/6 mins if you dont dawdle like I do). Regardless northfield is a nice option, its newer and pricier, and on the downs so instead of the train station you get fields and sheep and lovely views etc.

I'll cut the waffle, as a current student here who has seen both of these accommodations, definitely pick northfield. When people say its out the way, its not. If any accommodation is out the way, its stanmer because its technically not on the campus its just outside (literally right outside) but when you're here you'll see stanmer is way more removed from campus life than northfield.

Basically, i've given points about both, but go for northfield. Its better in every way.

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.
How far is the gym from northfield (walking distance)?
Original post by leyaanj
Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.
How far is the gym from northfield (walking distance)?

the gym is miles from anywhere, its up an enormous hill but you can get the bus there for free cause you can travel around campus on buses free

although id recommend going to a gym in town if you get a bus pass, its much better and cheaper too. search 'the gym' brighton, theres 2 I go london road one, but theres one on madeira drive by the seafront.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending