Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Undergraduates 2016:)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lastlullabyy
Hi guys, I'm a 3rd year student at Lancaster University. If you have any questions about the university, Lancaster or anything really, feel free to ask :smile:

Hi! Ive just got a few questions (thanks for offering by the way :smile: )

1) have you enjoyed lancaster as a whole?

2) where would you say has the best accomodation on campus and where did you stay?

3)is the library open 24/7 ?

4) do you think its worth joing sports teams or does it take up lots of time?

Thanks so much :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
I firmed Lancaster last week for History, received an unconditional so I'll (hopefully) definitely be going there. I've looked into accommodation but I've not heard anything from the university about it? I'm from Newcastle.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
I'll be starting Chemical Engineering there...I'm from Leeds
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Loz_98
Hi! Ive just got a few questions (thanks for offering by the way :smile: )

1) have you enjoyed lancaster as a whole?

2) where would you say has the best accomodation on campus and where did you stay?

3)is the library open 24/7 ?

4) do you think its worth joing sports teams or does it take up lots of time?

Thanks so much :smile:

Hi, sorry for getting back to you so late, was at work all weekend!

1) Depends what do you mean by enjoy - I had to work all the time through university as I don't get any help from SFE with living costs nor do my parents support me on regular basis... So I had to spend quite a lot of time at work and then obviously, studying etc. But I did enjoy it, especially during first year before I've found a job haha :wink: It is quite a small town but the variety of restaurants and pubs etc make it really nice place to live in. I'm a very avid "restaurant goer" and Lancaster didn't disappoint me when it comes to delivering great food etc. Also, with amounts of societies etc there is so much you can get involved in and so much you can do - it's never boring, promise. However, to say that, I've enjoyed living off campus a lot more than living on campus as a fresher but could have been a fault of not very pleasant flatmates. Most people enjoy it a lot and have quite a few friends who either stayed on campus all 3 years or moved back there in their final year :wink:

So to answer your question - yes I did enjoy my time at Lancaster but I wouldn't really consider coming back here as a postgrad but that's more to due with my recent disappointments within my department, not the university or place as a whole :smile:

2) I have stayed in Pendle standard accommodation, once again like I said, I did not get any help with living costs so when I was choosing my accommodation I was purely guided by the price. But I have visited people in their halls all around campus and I'd probably say that most rooms look very similar - especially if you compare types of accommodation, like standard rooms in Pendle, Grizedale or Furness all look pretty much the same... Same goes to en suite etc. I really hate townhouses though (County and Grizedale) but that's probably because the ones I've seen were always ultra messy - terrible... If I had to choose again and wouldn't have to worry about budget, I'd probably want to stay in Bowland or County (but I'm biased here, most of my lectures were close to County).

3) The library is open 24/7 during term time. Out of term there are reduced hours of opening, especially the serviced features like information desk etc. Also, you get access to the Learning Zone, which is always open (and if it isn't, you can open it yourself with your library card).

4) And that one... Like I said, I had to work 20+ hours all the way through university so bearing in mind that and the kind of degree I did, I did not join any sports teams... However, I did complete Lancaster Award, was involved in few different volunteering opportunities, participated in Career Mentoring Scheme etc. This year I'm doing Swim22 challenge raising funds for Diabetes UK. I never joined any team but I was going to the gym and was swimming by myself :smile: Lancaster has a very good Sports Centre. Probably everything depends on what is your priority and what do you enjoy doing.
Reply 24
Hey all!
First post on here, I've firmed to study Marketing.

Was wondering if anyone knew how the application process works for accommodation?
Original post by AshMarl
Hey all!

Was wondering if anyone knew how the application process works for accommodation?

I think Lancaster will contact us about accommodation but i'm not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AshMarl
Hey all!

They'll send you a link to the website where you will have to log in and then you have to pick two colleges in order of preference and indicate which type of accommodation within the college you would want... From what I remember anyway...
Reply 27
Hi guys, I'm a 3rd year student at Lancaster University. If you have any questions about the university, Lancaster or anything really, feel free to ask :smile:

Hi there.

How much do you think the collegiate system adds to Lancaster? Is there a friendly rivalry between them, with lots of inter-college stuff going on, or is it just for administration?

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 28
Firmed Lancaster back at the beginning of February for Politics and International Relations.

Now I'm starting to think about what I'll study alongside this with the flexible Part 1 scheme where you study up to two extra subjects. Does anybody know more about this, like if you can take any subject you like regardless of your grades, if there are only a limited range on offer etc etc? I'd probably choose English Language and Linguistics, but I'm not sure what else...perhaps geography, law, history, a few others, it just depends on the What about everyone else?

Admissions told me today that the accommodation team will get in touch in late May/early June about accommodation. I'll most definitely be going with a Griezedale townhouse, fingers crossed I get it.
Original post by Jack98
Hi there.

How much do you think the collegiate system adds to Lancaster? Is there a friendly rivalry between them, with lots of inter-college stuff going on, or is it just for administration?

Many thanks :smile:

I suppose there is when it comes to sport but for most people I know, myself included, when you start living off campus, it doesn't matter which college you're in... It's really good for Freshers though and obviously if you want to get more involved in college life, you can always try for college sport team or JCR etc... I can't complain too much cause I've met my partner due to being in the same college - otherwise we probably would have never met (different degrees, different departments etc). I really don't like the fact though that graduation is by college and not by department... Considering most of my coursemates that I talk to etc are from other colleges, it'll be quite sad but oh well.

There are lots of events organised by specific colleges like bar crawls, live music evenings etc - and there's always stuff like winter balls, extravs etc. I didn't really have much time to party after first year due to having a job etc but enjoyed the first year in my college.

Of course I've not been to different uni yet so can't really compare :wink:
Original post by Jack98
Firmed Lancaster back at the beginning of February for Politics and International Relations.

Now I'm starting to think about what I'll study alongside this with the flexible Part 1 scheme where you study up to two extra subjects. Does anybody know more about this, like if you can take any subject you like regardless of your grades, if there are only a limited range on offer etc etc? I'd probably choose English Language and Linguistics, but I'm not sure what else...perhaps geography, law, history, a few others, it just depends on the What about everyone else?

Admissions told me today that the accommodation team will get in touch in late May/early June about accommodation. I'll most definitely be going with a Griezedale townhouse, fingers crossed I get it.

Wouldn't recommend geography or anything from LEC... History as a minor is good apparently :smile: and think it'd suit nicely to your degree. Or English, but that's just my opinion... Not sure if you can take law as a minor - I know that law students can't choose a minor, same with a lot of science students (I couldn't, had all modules set and compulsory the first year). Worth enquiring though :smile:
Reply 31
I suppose there is when it comes to sport but for most people I know, myself included, when you start living off campus, it doesn't matter which college you're in... It's really good for Freshers though and obviously if you want to get more involved in college life, you can always try for college sport team or JCR etc... I can't complain too much cause I've met my partner due to being in the same college - otherwise we probably would have never met (different degrees, different departments etc). I really don't like the fact though that graduation is by college and not by department... Considering most of my coursemates that I talk to etc are from other colleges, it'll be quite sad but oh well.

There are lots of events organised by specific colleges like bar crawls, live music evenings etc - and there's always stuff like winter balls, extravs etc. I didn't really have much time to party after first year due to having a job etc but enjoyed the first year in my college.

Of course I've not been to different uni yet so can't really compare :wink:

Thanks for both your replies, very helpful :smile:
Wouldn't recommend geography or anything from LEC... History as a minor is good apparently :smile: and think it'd suit nicely to your degree. Or English, but that's just my opinion... Not sure if you can take law as a minor - I know that law students can't choose a minor, same with a lot of science students (I couldn't, had all modules set and compulsory the first year). Worth enquiring though :smile:

Hiya, just wondering why you wouldn't recommend geography or the LEC? I've applied to do geography
Original post by SMer
I firmed Lancaster last week for History, received an unconditional so I'll (hopefully) definitely be going there. I've looked into accommodation but I've not heard anything from the university about it? I'm from Newcastle.

I firmed my unconditional for history too :smile: I wonder how many of us there are going to be
Original post by Lunaray
Hiya, just wondering why you wouldn't recommend geography or the LEC? I've applied to do geography

Will send you a PM.
Will send you a PM.

Reply 36
Will send you a PM.

Would you mind sending me the same PM please?

Hey! In terms of social life/night life, how good is Lancaster? Is there a lot to do? Or is it one of the quite unis?
Original post by UnknownAnon
Hey! In terms of social life/night life, how good is Lancaster? Is there a lot to do? Or is it one of the quite unis?

I don't think any of the people I know ever complained about social aspect of the university... There are plenty of societies, bars and pubs, some on campus as well. There is a bit limited choice in terms of night clubs in town but that is what to be expected in such small city... I personally never went to any night club although there is plenty of really good bars both on campus and around Lancaster, many of them having special deals, student deals etc. There are two main clubs that people go to, really and one is owned and run by the LUSU (Sugarhouse) and the other one is called Hustle (both in town). I know there's also Dalton Rooms but don't think I've heard much in terms of other clubs/not sure if there are any other places... You can also remember that if you really have a big urge to go clubbing somewhere else, I think at some points there are actually coaches organised by colleges/unis for clubbing in Liverpool/Manchester - but like I said, I really don't like clubbing so wouldn't know that much about it, sorry!

College bars on campus also organise lots of themed events and there is always Pendle Live, for example, Pub Quizes etc. Then there's extravs, balls, Halloween etc parties - wouldn't worry about the social aspect, seriously :wink:
I don't think any of the people I know ever complained about social aspect of the university... There are plenty of societies, bars and pubs, some on campus as well. There is a bit limited choice in terms of night clubs in town but that is what to be expected in such small city... I personally never went to any night club although there is plenty of really good bars both on campus and around Lancaster, many of them having special deals, student deals etc. There are two main clubs that people go to, really and one is owned and run by the LUSU (Sugarhouse) and the other one is called Hustle (both in town). I know there's also Dalton Rooms but don't think I've heard much in terms of other clubs/not sure if there are any other places... You can also remember that if you really have a big urge to go clubbing somewhere else, I think at some points there are actually coaches organised by colleges/unis for clubbing in Liverpool/Manchester - but like I said, I really don't like clubbing so wouldn't know that much about it, sorry!

College bars on campus also organise lots of themed events and there is always Pendle Live, for example, Pub Quizes etc. Then there's extravs, balls, Halloween etc parties - wouldn't worry about the social aspect, seriously :wink:

Thanks that reassures me! I'm trying to pick between Lancaster and Liverpool and obviously as a city Liverpool would have all the social aspect. But I prefer Lancaster in everything else :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending