The Student Room Group

Should I restart my A-levels?

Hi everyone,
I am currently studying biology, psychology and sociology a level at a school which opened in September 2015. As well as these subjects I am studying a ocr level 3 technical diploma in health and social care, which I absolutely hate, however my school is a health based school so it's compulsory and they won't let me drop it.
As well as hating health and social care, I also find biology very difficult, we have had 3 different teachers this year and half of our lessons are in a lecture theatre. The biology lectures have around 70 students in them (let's just say there wasn't a wide range of a level subjects to choose from at our school) and I don't learn anything. Also I don't really want a job in healthcare anymore so being at this school does not really benefit me. The only job in healthcare I ever wanted was a radiographer but I would need a B in Biology which is never going to happen.

I have recently received a interview for a sixth form college. However I do not know anyone who goes there and if the education is actually good there (but my friend who went there before said it was good). I am thinking about starting a levels again because I am pretty sure I'm going to fail Biology and because I do not want to continue with health and social care. So I was thinking about doing sociology, psychology, accounting and maybe economics because I am thinking about becoming an accountant. However I haven't done anything really mathematic since year 11 so I'm not sure.
This sixth form also has more freedom, lets you out when you don't have lessons and at lunch and also pays for you bus pass. As well as this I won't have to wear business clothing (not that it bothered me much anyway). Also I have loads of great friends at my current sixth form and i'm not sure if i'll be able to make new ones.

So what do you guys think is a better idea, is it really worth starting again? Please can somebody help me with my decision, thank you.
Coming from a person who gave up too early in their first year of A levels and purposely performed poorly in their exams so that they could restart, listen to this...No.1 ) results day will feel like **** and you'll have to put up with teachers 2.)Trust me you'll kick yourself every day when you retake for not just getting a grip of yourself and deciding there and then to forget about how little time you have left BUT WHAT YOU COULD'VE DONE NOW!!. 3.) If you do decide to retake start revising from day 1 and i mean LITERALLY make notes upon notes and notes, thats what i did 4.) somewhere along the line you'll be happy you retook because things will start looking up... DONT and i mean DONT listen to the myth that those who retake can't get in to Russel group unis . What's funny is that uni representatives told me on uni open days the exact same thing ... but here i am 2 years later with an offer to study BA English at Kings college London, irrespective of having retook year 12.
In all honesty , if you're willing to be behind one academic year and work so hard that stress is the norm, then go ahead. But coming from someone who's being doing A levels for three years, even though I've got a brilliant offer, i wish someone would just have told me to FORGET how little time i have left, because in reality you have plenty. GET SOME PAPER, YOUR PENS AND PRINT EVERY PAST PAER FOR EVERY SUBJECT YOUR DOING AND JUST ATTEMPT THEM - HAVE YOUR TEXTBOOKS OUT IF YOU DONT HAVE THE ANSWER. LISTEN TO ME! YOU HAVE TWO WHOLE MONTHS FROM NOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. YOU ARE THE ONLY BARRIER TO YOUR POTENTIAL. I SWEAR YOU CAN DO IT , BELIEVE IN YOURSELF BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL. i wish someone had told me this two years ago , but i had to learn it the hard way. All i'm trying to say is DO YOUR BEST, and if your'e wondering where i got my motivation from, it was from this video and i hope you have time to watch it . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsm-QbN9r8&list=PL97FE482382783B9C , watch it through to the end and you'll never view work differently again. I believe in you
Also if you want ANY help with sociology feel free to message me. I scored full marks in both AS papers simply because i worked hard and believed in myself
Original post by TheeOptimist
Coming from a person who gave up too early in their first year of A levels and purposely performed poorly in their exams so that they could restart, listen to this...No.1 ) results day will feel like **** and you'll have to put up with teachers 2.)Trust me you'll kick yourself every day when you retake for not just getting a grip of yourself and deciding there and then to forget about how little time you have left BUT WHAT YOU COULD'VE DONE NOW!!. 3.) If you do decide to retake start revising from day 1 and i mean LITERALLY make notes upon notes and notes, thats what i did 4.) somewhere along the line you'll be happy you retook because things will start looking up... DONT and i mean DONT listen to the myth that those who retake can't get in to Russel group unis . What's funny is that uni representatives told me on uni open days the exact same thing ... but here i am 2 years later with an offer to study BA English at Kings college London, irrespective of having retook year 12.
In all honesty , if you're willing to be behind one academic year and work so hard that stress is the norm, then go ahead. But coming from someone who's being doing A levels for three years, even though I've got a brilliant offer, i wish someone would just have told me to FORGET how little time i have left, because in reality you have plenty. GET SOME PAPER, YOUR PENS AND PRINT EVERY PAST PAER FOR EVERY SUBJECT YOUR DOING AND JUST ATTEMPT THEM - HAVE YOUR TEXTBOOKS OUT IF YOU DONT HAVE THE ANSWER. LISTEN TO ME! YOU HAVE TWO WHOLE MONTHS FROM NOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. YOU ARE THE ONLY BARRIER TO YOUR POTENTIAL. I SWEAR YOU CAN DO IT , BELIEVE IN YOURSELF BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL. i wish someone had told me this two years ago , but i had to learn it the hard way. All i'm trying to say is DO YOUR BEST, and if your'e wondering where i got my motivation from, it was from this video and i hope you have time to watch it . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsm-QbN9r8&list=PL97FE482382783B9C , watch it through to the end and you'll never view work differently again. I believe in you

Thanks for the reply. But because a levels have been reformed I actually won't be doing AS this year, but everything cramped at the end of the two years. that's why I am thinking about starting a levels all over again.
bump
bump
Yes. theres no point failing. Youll feel awful if you fail and all your m8s go off to uni. i dont think youll feel awful but instea you will feel mildl regret it isnt you, then wake up becayse your results would have been poor and you aboided that :smile:.

If you want to do radiography, then check with the radiography students
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/radiographer.aspx

On the same site theres also profiles for accountancy.

I would change and tbh once you are away, then just knuckle down and it will be a relief.

Quick Reply

Latest