The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Computer course - Do I bring my own computer to uni?

Hello, I'm beginning my Information & Communication Course this year and wanted to know is it common that students who study a computing course bring their own personal desktop setup to their uni accommodation (1st year). Obviously I'll be bringing my notebook for lectures. A reply from someone studying a computer science course would be great! I want to also know what the social side is like in terms of the computing courses. Are their gaming clubs? Im kinda a tech geek!

Thank you!
I know some people who do bring their desktops but then bring their laptops to lectures :smile:

...but I'm not doing computer science so I can't really answer you that well, sorry!
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
I did CompSci and virtually everyone either had a high powered laptop, desktop, or both.

That said usually CompSci departments have very powerful desktops available to students so for work purposes you wont really need to.

But for fun? Yeah definitely bring it.

As for gaming clubs: Didn't go to Essex, but I've never heard of a Uni that didn't have one. Don't worry, plenty of other geeks will be there, with plenty of clubs for you.
I don't know a single person at uni who doesn't have their own computer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending