The Student Room Group

Do you take antidepressants ? What is your experience?

Scroll to see replies

I was prescribed citalopram. I took one pill of citalopram and I felt so spacey and suicidal which wasn't like me and I told the doctor that I wasn't taking them any more and didn't want to try meds and that was 4 years ago and I haven't taken any since. I wasn't keen on taking them to begin with though. I was prescribed them more for OCD and panics as opposed to depression though depression was a side effect of my conditions. I knew the side effects before taking them and that they usually disappear within a few weeks but I had never felt that before and I decided meds weren't the route for me and ever since, I've been dealing with my OCD, panics and depression through therapy and self help.

I'm not against meds for any MH problem, I just personally don't want to take them ever again. I also have OCD contamination fears and fear that anything I swallow is poisoned or laced with something bad and I can't even take a painkiller when I'm in pain so that made antidepressants even more daunting.

My mum has been on peroxitine for the last 12 years and she is gradually coming off it and I've seen the side effects she's had while weaning herself off it and she said she regrets taking them for so long but accepts she couldn't have got through her depression without them.

I believe there should be no stigma or shame in taking antidepressants. They work well for some and not for others and it can be trial and error to find one that works for you if you want to go down the meds route but no one should ever feel weak or ashamed for ever having to take them.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Sertraline made me violently ill; citalopram exacerbated my mood swings; I'm now on fluoxetine (40) and I feel flat. My moods (either way) feel more subdued, though that's arguably not a bad thing - given that I'm otherwise ecstatically happy or suicidally depressed. :dontknow:
I've always wanted to try adderall. Not an anti-depressant, but still.
Original post by Freudian Slip
Sertraline made me violently ill; citalopram exacerbated my mood swings; I'm now on fluoxetine (40) and I feel flat. My moods (either way) feel more subdued, though that's arguably not a bad thing - given that I'm otherwise ecstatically happy or suicidally depressed. :dontknow:

Hi Freudian Slip! I wondered who had that username as I made a dupe and wanted to call it that but it was taken so settled for ‘Freudian Slit’ but I also like the irony of that name :rofl:

I have only ever tried fluoxetine as I respond to it so well and I have just increased to 40 per day- I do get the numbness but I also do still feel so that's good.

Do you feel as though whatever symptoms you are taking it for have relieved? Like the psychological issues ?
I agree, there is to much stigma around the topic of mental health. I never really knew about what it was though until I became depressed which consequently lead to me missing nearly a year of school. I think that young people should be educated more to help raise awareness of the issue- I started volunteering at YoungMinds - A mental health charity which strives to increase the awareness of mental health and the affects of which strikes people who are uneducated in the subject as nerving. I am volunteering as a Youth Presenter- the role is to go to meetings, schools etc and talk about my experience with mental health 'my story'. Anyone reading this who feels interested in doing this (it looks great on your cv aswell and help builds confidence) just check out the YoungMinds website and give them a email :smile:
During experience with anti depressants I was sick after nearly every meal (not a lot but enough) and was low on the first few weeks of having them (the doctor told me a side affect can be feeling lower for a while).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ethereal World
Hi Freudian Slip! I wondered who had that username as I made a dupe and wanted to call it that but it was taken so settled for ‘Freudian Slit’ but I also like the irony of that name :rofl:

I have only ever tried fluoxetine as I respond to it so well and I have just increased to 40 per day- I do get the numbness but I also do still feel so that's good.

Do you feel as though whatever symptoms you are taking it for have relieved? Like the psychological issues ?

Bahaha, that's brilliant. :giggle:

Heh, yes and no... I think they've taken an edge off, but I still feel how my mood is on any given day depends largely on my willpower that day. They've got me to a stage where I'm more willing to [re]try talking therapies though, so I'd give that as a big plus.
Original post by FireFreezer77
OCD

oh....ok
Original post by German123
oh....ok

It sucks!
I was at the point where i couldnt leave the house because it was so bad.
Thats when i started the medication.
Original post by Ethereal World
So taking medication for mental health has quite a lot of stigma surrounding it and people often say they don't want to get dependent on antidepressants etc.

But I know that there are a lot of people that DO take antidepressants and with varying results.

I thought it would be good to set up some discussion around experiences with antidepressants and especially positive ones!

For me I think it's positive. Although I am far from normal, anti depressants do take the edge off and allow me to deal with things a lot better.

What has your experience been/what are your feelings towards medication for mental health?

Tried Mirtazapine 30mg then 45mg for 6 weeks, didn't feel good on it.
Tried Sertraline 50mg for 6 weeks, didn't feel good on it.
Trying Citalopram 20mg for 6-8weeks, it's best so far

Quick Reply

Latest