The Student Room Group

How to scrape a pass at National 5 Maths...

Well I'm in 5th Year I am sitting National 5 Maths for the second year. Long story short I spend most of the year chatting up a girl and I barely listen to the Teacher at all. So now with a few weeks until the exam its looking bad. If you guys could help me in some way on how to somehow pass this thing tips,topics I should really know That might help scrape a low C? Anything that might help me salvage a pass. I know it is very stupid but Any help would be appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

On a few papers, see what kind of questions you already know and that you will know you will get full marks on.
Learn the easish stuff like incisors , percentages , fractions ,angles.
If you struggle with straight lines Ect there will be a question of the but don't worry about these, always try them though.
Make sure you have enough time to checks answers.
Maths watch and Khan academy are good for revision videos .

Good lcuk
Reply 2
I'm sitting Nat 5 Maths also at the moment. As Larissa said, all you can do is go over all your notes, power points and concentrate on the easier stuff to get the marks and then go back and attempt the harder stuff. It's easier to learn maths by doing to be honest.

Good luck.
Reply 3
The only way to study is to know your notes then just practise loads of past papers over and over again until you get every question right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Was the girl worth it though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair play if you got your hole though
Reply 6
Original post by MadeofStone27
Long story short I spend most of the year chatting up a girl and I barely listen to the Teacher at all.

Yessi my man she must have Been worth it if you're aiming for a C at nat 5.

Jokes aside, do the specimen and two past papers, write down the things you didn't get/found hard and post them back up on here, il try and help you out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Buy the books of practice papers so you have lots of questions to do. Leckie and Leckie has a 'grade C booster' for most subjects, and Hodder Gibson does 'how to pass' so these might help outline the course and what you need to know?
Reply 8
How did you do in your prelim?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah doing past papers and practice papers is the best thing because you will see a general trend of questions for example in all of the papers I have done in the non- calculator the first question is to do with fractions then the second one is usually with straight lines. This helps you to narrow down the key things to revise
Don't worry I was the same as you last year but you still have like a month left so you'll be fine! Last year I'm not even joking I cram revised the day before for like 12 hours and I got a B!! I didn't have time to do past papers- I just went through my textbook and looked at all the examples and made notes for each example about how to do it and I made sure I understood how to do it! Make sure you know all the basics like the others have said like fractions and surds and stuff and also make sure you know about graphs and like the sin, cos and tan stuff and parabolas and finding the equation of a line because that will most likely be in it and normally is worth a lot of marks - just learn it and make sure you know how to do it and you'll be fine!! Don't worry, you have quite a while yet! I actually was scared out of my mind and I thoght I was going to faint before(lol probably because I hadn't slept) and in the first paper I somehow missed out the last two pages and in the end I got a B!! Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Bonnie2512
Don't worry I was the same as you last year but you still have like a month left so you'll be fine! Last year I'm not even joking I cram revised the day before for like 12 hours and I got a B!! I didn't have time to do past papers- I just went through my textbook and looked at all the examples and made notes for each example about how to do it and I made sure I understood how to do it! Make sure you know all the basics like the others have said like fractions and surds and stuff and also make sure you know about graphs and like the sin, cos and tan stuff and parabolas and finding the equation of a line because that will most likely be in it and normally is worth a lot of marks - just learn it and make sure you know how to do it and you'll be fine!! Don't worry, you have quite a while yet! I actually was scared out of my mind and I thoght I was going to faint before(lol probably because I hadn't slept) and in the first paper I somehow missed out the last two pages and in the end I got a B!! Good luck!

Damn those parabolas and straight line questions, bane of my life. They just don't 'click' for me!
Original post by Emizi
Damn those parabolas and straight line questions, bane of my life. They just don't 'click' for me!

Really? Even at higher i find the straight line to be the easiest
Original post by Emizi

That was the same for me through all of fourth year and like two days before the exam I still couldn't get them but I just sat down for like 2 hours the day before and in the end something clicked and I got them!! You'll be fine!! Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by alana_p
Really? Even at higher i find the straight line to be the easiest

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but just doesn't work for me. So they're on my study list.

Haha, thanks Bonnie. I got a C in my prelim, 6 marks off a B (our paper was disgusting). I need a B for uni. I left school 13 years ago, so this year has been hard. Just hope I get it.
Reply 15
I was doing a practice exam and came across this. I now know its simultaneous equation. But it completely threw me because I hadn't seen it in that format before. If I hadn't, that would have been a mess in my exam :frown:.
Original post by Emizi
I was doing a practice exam and came across this. I now know its simultaneous equation. But it completely threw me because I hadn't seen it in that format before. If I hadn't, that would have been a mess in my exam :frown:.

I really dont think anything like that would ever come up, it looks awful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Emizi

For Part (A), imagine the 2 middle circles are B and C, from left to right.
then
2=B+C
B=x+y
C=y-1

Now sub B and C into 2=B+C
so 2=(x+y)+(y-1)
2=x+y+y-1
2=x+2y-1
3=x+2y as required.

Maybe that helps?
Reply 18
Original post by Yammy
For Part (A), imagine the 2 middle circles are B and C, from left to right.
then
2=B+C
B=x+y
C=y-1

Now sub B and C into 2=B+C
so 2=(x+y)+(y-1)
2=x+y+y-1
2=x+2y-1
3=x+2y as required.

Maybe that helps?

Thank you. It was something I hadn't seen in that format before!
Reply 19
Original post by Emizi
Thank you. It was something I hadn't seen in that format before!

Is that an SQA paper btw? Honestly I doubt sqa will have "puzzles" like that, they will probably just give you equations to solve.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending