The Student Room Group

Can I still get into Universities without GCSE Maths grade A/B?

I'm looking to do Finance at Uni next year. I've been looking at the requirements and most require GCSE Maths at grade A or B and I got a C. However, I'm doing a Level 3 qualification in Mathematical Studies (Core Maths) which is equivalent to 80% GCSE (Covers mostly A-A* topics) and 20% A level. If I get a good grade, let's say a grade B in that, would the University accept it over my GCSE Maths grade? Surely they should seeing as logically obtaining a B in Core Maths is as good or better than obtaining a B in GCSE Maths.
Original post by GuyOnInternet
I'm looking to do Finance at Uni next year. I've been looking at the requirements and most require GCSE Maths at grade A or B and I got a C. However, I'm doing a Level 3 qualification in Mathematical Studies (Core Maths) which is equivalent to 80% GCSE (Covers mostly A-A* topics) and 20% A level. If I get a good grade, let's say a grade B in that, would the University accept it over my GCSE Maths grade? Surely they should seeing as logically obtaining a B in Core Maths is as good or better than obtaining a B in GCSE Maths.

Contact the universities you are interested in and ask whether or not they accept core maths and then go from there :smile:
There are many universities who will accept you with grade C GCSE Maths. I have checked a few Welsh ones and Aberystwyth, Bangor and Swansea require grade C. However you would be well advised to resit your GCSE Maths to obtain a B or A as this would open up more options for you. Sometimes for subjects involving Maths like Computer Science, Economics and Engineering a number of unis require A level Maths in addition to the BTEC extended diploma and that is another issue you might need to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending