The Student Room Group

I am a Schizophrenic ask me anything AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by john2054
I'm personally thinking of doing a Post Grad Certificate after my degree.

This is what you said. a post grad. certificate is on the road to a masters, and i didn't know you could do that without a full degree? Maybe it is different at Oxford?

No I'ds have to get a degree first you're jumping from A to C. At Oxford you need a good degree to get on any Post Grad course.
Original post by Thomb
No I'ds have to get a degree first you're jumping from A to C. At Oxford you need a good degree to get on any Post Grad course.

Same as Derby, and at most unis i think. Apart from maybe open uni? Good luck then? xx
Reply 62
Original post by john2054
Same as Derby, and at most unis i think. Apart from maybe open uni? Good luck then? xx

Thanks, you too. :smile:
Hey, do you think too much about things? Like do you think about life and why we're here and what's the point? And do you get overwhelmed by how everything is made? Do you feel emotions deeply and care more than other people? Do you have any other disorders e.g. Eating/sleeping? Sorry for all the questions, I don't mean to be rude
Hello,

Let me tell you the story of my ex-best friend. Lets call him Joe.
So I was friends with the guy from as far as I can remember. We were real close for around thirteen years. However, we matured at far different rates. I matured much quicker whereas he still acted like a little kid even to this day. But this didn't end the friendship. I still wanted to do **** with him and made so much effort. Always asking him if he wanted to hang out and do stuff together but he never made the effort. It was always his house or nothing. Still, I went to his house because of how much I wanted to stay friends. At this point I had begun to lose hope gradually. Then he decided to trust other people over me. People he'd been "friends" with for less than a year. (So much for those thirteen years.) Eventually he told me that he was schizophrenic. I asked him if he'd been diagnosed and he said no, he had not. So I told him it's probably best if he got diagnosed before claiming he was something like schizophrenic. I explained that if he told someone that was diagnosed with schizophrenia, or any kid of disability they would be offended. I also did not want him to live thinking he had something like that as I am pretty heavily physcially disabled and know that it's not nice being so. He didn't like what I was saying. Then he started a BS lie, saying he could hear voices in his head, which he now denies. I had enough of his constant disrespect and way of thinking. The way he treated me as if I couldn't keep a secret and had betrayed his trust, despite doing the complete opposite for thirteen years. So at this point I had enough. We were no longer friends and I still despise him to this day. So when someone asked me if Joe could hear voices I thought "**** it. He doesn't think I can keep a secret, let's do just that. Let make him feel like he made me." (Childish thing for me to do, I know, but I still do not regret it). So I told the gu who asked me the question that he said he could. That he calls the non-existent voice Gemma and that it was complete *******s.

So OP, how would you feel if someone claimed to be schizophrenic without diagnosis?
Do ye prefer pigeons or seagulls?
Reply 66
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, do you think too much about things? Like do you think about life and why we're here and what's the point? And do you get overwhelmed by how everything is made? Do you feel emotions deeply and care more than other people? Do you have any other disorders e.g. Eating/sleeping? Sorry for all the questions, I don't mean to be rude

Yes I do think very deeply but I don't think of it as an illness I think of it as intelligence. I do have very strong emotions and sometimes they spin out of control, I need to learn to control my emotions. I don't have much empathy though when someone is hurt I just don't know what to do. I have a sleeping disorder my sleep is messed up. I don't have an eating disorder I don't think. Don't worry I like answering peoples questions about schizophrenia.
Reply 67
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
Do ye prefer pigeons or seagulls?

I've heard wood pigeon is delicious.
Original post by Thomb
I've heard wood pigeon is delicious.

:mob:

I fear for my life
Reply 69
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
:mob:

I fear for my life

And very expensive so I won't be eating any.
Reply 70
Original post by bullettheory
It really helped me. Do the college/place of education know about your mental health? Once my uni knew, I got a lot of support.

Sorry I missed your post. The university does know I'm ill they want my doctor to fill out a form but I feel guilty about both leaving it and asking him to do it because I'd be wasting his time.
Reply 71
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
Hello,

Let me tell you the story of my ex-best friend. Lets call him Joe.
So I was friends with the guy from as far as I can remember. We were real close for around thirteen years. However, we matured at far different rates. I matured much quicker whereas he still acted like a little kid even to this day. But this didn't end the friendship. I still wanted to do **** with him and made so much effort. Always asking him if he wanted to hang out and do stuff together but he never made the effort. It was always his house or nothing. Still, I went to his house because of how much I wanted to stay friends. At this point I had begun to lose hope gradually. Then he decided to trust other people over me. People he'd been "friends" with for less than a year. (So much for those thirteen years.) Eventually he told me that he was schizophrenic. I asked him if he'd been diagnosed and he said no, he had not. So I told him it's probably best if he got diagnosed before claiming he was something like schizophrenic. I explained that if he told someone that was diagnosed with schizophrenia, or any kid of disability they would be offended. I also did not want him to live thinking he had something like that as I am pretty heavily physcially disabled and know that it's not nice being so. He didn't like what I was saying. Then he started a BS lie, saying he could hear voices in his head, which he now denies. I had enough of his constant disrespect and way of thinking. The way he treated me as if I couldn't keep a secret and had betrayed his trust, despite doing the complete opposite for thirteen years. So at this point I had enough. We were no longer friends and I still despise him to this day. So when someone asked me if Joe could hear voices I thought "**** it. He doesn't think I can keep a secret, let's do just that. Let make him feel like he made me." (Childish thing for me to do, I know, but I still do not regret it). So I told the gu who asked me the question that he said he could. That he calls the non-existent voice Gemma and that it was complete *******s.

So OP, how would you feel if someone claimed to be schizophrenic without diagnosis?

Self diagnosis isnt reliable. Psychiatrists and psychologists get paid a lot to know the difference between BPD and schizophrenia etc. A good one would solve the problem. It sounds like your friend should get a proper diagnosis from a professional.
What is the best way to support some with schizophrenia? Especially if they having illusions/delusions? How can we make them safe, and keep them safe? Calm them down etc
Reply 73
Original post by apronedsamurai
What is the best way to support some with schizophrenia? Especially if they having illusions/delusions? How can we make them safe, and keep them safe? Calm them down etc

I think it is best to try and calm them down be as understanding as possible and talk reasonably to them trying to make sense of their delusion and try to steer them on to the right track. Its difficult because it is something I get a lot of the time I become convinced something is real when its not. Delusions of grandeur can be esoteric moments where you think you are or will become the King or something and at other times they can be a complete nightmare an uncontrollable urge to be it yet a just as strong urge to stop it from happening. The best thing is to talk to unravel the truth from the delusion. A complicated issue and one I don't really know the answer to.
When did you know? What were the first signs?

(And I appreciate that this may be difficult for you to talk about so I completely understand if you don't want to say :smile: )
Reply 75
Original post by Anonymous
When did you know? What were the first signs?

(And I appreciate that this may be difficult for you to talk about so I completely understand if you don't want to say :smile: )

To be completely honest? When I was a baby I felt I could hear voices and see people there. I thought they were trying to kill me. So pretty much from the time I could think in words.
Reply 76
[video="youtube;nHqy3F2Q5Mg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHqy3F2Q5Mg[/video]

An absolute classic and personal fave of mine.
Original post by apronedsamurai

talk and support. also listen to what they have to say? but don't necessarily believe every single word of it!?
Reply 78
Ok so I've got a lot of attention from this thread but not a lot of people asking questions. Is there anything I can do to make this thread more interesting?
Original post by Thomb
Ok so I've got a lot of attention from this thread but not a lot of people asking questions. Is there anything I can do to make this thread more interesting?

I have a question if you don't mind (even though this is an AMA)

One of my close friends is schizoprenic and suffers halluncination (e.g him killing close people) from time to time. He won't tell me how I can help with this since he always says "I help enough at the moment" but do you know what I could I do to help him get him out of these hallucinations when they occur?

Quick Reply