The Student Room Group

Old english woman muttered loudly 'bloody muslim, get out' as she walked past me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I don't think many do. I think you are confusing it with the following. They think any criticism of Muslims or any cultural practises from that demographic of people is racist or in some hitting down at an oppresed group of people. Which can result in left wing people somewhat bizarrely defending oppressive conservative religion and labelling anyone who does criticise, even from a left wing position, as a racist or islamophobe. The utmost extreme of this is when people end up essentially supporting what can be considered very right wing groups like ISIS or Hamas.
very true

in the UK you had the extreme case of the Goldsmiths Feminist Society expressing support for the University's Islamic Society, which had disrupted Maryam Namazie's meeting, and condemning the Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society for hosting "known islamophobes" to speak at the University

Of course that minorities may need protection when attacked : but hardly when they are trying to impose their views on others. There's also such a thing as oppressive minorities.

Having Feminists defending Islamists' actions is a tragic irony.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Shouldn't have to, there isn't anything wrong with being a Muslim, I shouldn't even have to spell that out. I'm not religious but I'd have whispered God is Great, or Allahu Akhtar, just to ruin her day even more. :u:

not ****in funny bud
Original post by samina_ay
Allahu akbar*

:afraid:
Original post by Dima-Blackburn

What qualifies as an Islamiphobic offense is self-evident.
Not at all

Islamophobia is a vague, fuzzy concept. It conflates, on one side, Islam and Muslims and, on the other, fear, hate, opposition

Is opposing Islam an "Islamophobic offense" ? then, you would be at pains in counting "Islamophobes"

Most residents in Western countries oppose Islam, especially as a political ideology
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NickLCFC
In a city of nearly 9,000,000 people, 76 'hate-crime' offences in a week is not frequent.

Yes, it is; I'm not going to entertain the implied notion that such incidents of hate-crime must increase by a few orders of magnitude, arbitrarily defined by you - a privileged individual who has most likely never experienced discrimination based on religious and racial grounds, let alone been a victim of a hate crime, before they qualify as "frequent" and be considered a serious issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mariachi
Not at all

Islamophobia is a vague, fuzzy concept. It conflates, on one side, Islam and Muslims and, on the other, fear, hate, opposition

Is opposing Islam an "Islamophobic offense" ? then, you would be at pains in counting "Islamophobes"

Most residents in Western countries oppose Islam, especially as a political ideology

The right to oppose, criticise, insult and/or mock Islam is protected under free-speech.

However in the context of street harassment, hate crimes and instances of discrimination, what constitutes as an Islamophobic offense is indeed self-evident.
Yes, it is; I'm not going to entertain the implied notion that such incidents of hate-crime must increase by a few orders of magnitude, arbitrarily defined by you - a privileged individual who has most likely never experienced discrimination based on religious and racial grounds, let alone been a victim of a hate crime.

I'm not trying to imply there needs to be more hate crime for it to be considered a problem, my point was that you were exaggerating the problem.

:yawn:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by richpanda
So? I don't care, they're Muslims who like to kill Westerners.

I doubt the families of the bombing victims care if they were 'true muslims' or not.

So you're blaming the whole of Islam for their actions :hmpf:?
I'm not trying to imply there needs to be more hate crime for it to be considered a problem, my point was that you were exaggerating the problem.

Talking about 'exaggerating the problem':

I'd say it shows a small percentage but an alarming number of people that have a favourable views towards ISIS.
The right to oppose, criticise, insult and/or mock Islam is protected under free-speech.

However in the context of street harassment, hate crimes and instances of discrimination, what constitutes as an Islamophobic offense is indeed self-evident.
and yet, Islamophobia is such an ambiguous concept that it should be carefully avoided

it is mostly being used as a hammer to hit on the head those who oppose Islam.

harassment, hate speech, insults are already punished by law : no need to introduce this "Islamophobia" misnomer into the equation

Most importantly : hate against Muslims is different from hate against Islam

It's not an exaggeration at all. Rather, it's indicative of your apathy.

You said you've been a victim of a hate-crime and that you weren't affected by it, but for some reason you decided to edit your post :beard:
Original post by Frank Underwood
Talking about 'exaggerating the problem':

Highlighting the issue of 60,000,000+ people having a 'favourable' view of ISIS is not exaggerating in my eyes. I'm not gonna go into it again, but if you think I'm exaggerating the issue then that's fine.
It's not an exaggeration at all. Rather, it's indicative of your apathy.

You said you've been a victim of a hate-crime and that you weren't affected by it, but for some reason you decided to edit your post :beard:

And what makes you think that? I openly acknowledge that it is a problem and should be addressed, all I said is that you were exaggerating the issue :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending