The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've only done about 1/3 Biology since that's the closest one-(should be done by Sunday). Then I'll do Physics and Chemistry at about the same time, hopefully having both of them finished by the next Sunday. I am revising by going through my revision guide(CGP modular science) and after I think I've learnt it all, I'm going to go through as many past papers as possible, seeing what I need to do to get more marks and clarifying anything that confuses me.
Reply 21
i dont really use revision guides, i spam past papers and anything i dont understand i use the textbook, because normally if i dont understand it its something i havent learnt properly, and i cant revise something i havent learnt properly normally that does the trick im trying to concentrate on biology although chemisty moles, and physics momentum leave me stuffed =/
I'm just reading my notes and looking at past papers, and making sure I learn things I'm not too good at (namely movement in Fish and birds) well. At least there shouldn't be a detailed fish question this year, as there was one last year,
Reply 23
Has anyone got the mark scheme for Biology 2002 (higher)?

I found yesterday that just reading the revision guide - although boring and seemingly pointless as you are doing it because it doesn't feel as if you're learning anything - helps me to remember stuff - because I can still remember most of it today! It's working for me at the moment!

Also I found it helped to turn the PC off and revise somewhere other than your bedroom.

Anyway I have run out of past papers which are printed out so should I try the CGP revision summary questions or look at a past paper on the computer and answer it on some A4?
you shouldnt really be doing past papers that were that long ago - as specification is changing yearly
Reply 25
no khad, the exam practise helps, and yes that 2002 ms is available for free from the aqa site
Reply 26
adlondo, do you have a link to the 2002 Bio MS? I can't find it on the AQA site :confused: (I'm looking here http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/bio_assess.php)
tba
Any tips on how to answer the longer questions worth more marks? Especially if you're not sure on what the answer is - what's the best way of answering the question? Should you try to mention as many ideas as possible even though they might not be right?

yeah ...thats what i do in science exams as the marking is not negative - i.e. u can write quite a lot of rubbish but still get the 4/4 or 5/5!!
Reply 28
Right well i'm moving onto Biology today. Any tips from anyone of the best way to revise for it and anything that's likely to come up? Any help on the exam would be most appreciated! :smile:
Reply 29
I'm going to start just by reading my Bio revision guide today... then read the specification, then look through past papers on the PC, then jot down some answers (and then mark it and revise the topics where I am struggling).
Hello there guys, this is rikesh from bolton,uk. It took me some time to get it, but I've found the 2002 aqa gcse examiners report which still gives you the mark scheme in a way. Here it is:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/neab/R021161.PDF

If you're doing Higher Tier, pages 7-13 will be helpful.

heres physics aqa 2002 one too....
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/neab/R021181.PDF

I've already sent tba a copy.

Good luck with GCSEs
Rikesh
Reply 31
2/3 done Biology. :smile: **** all done of any other subject. Lol. :smile:
Reply 32
Jackus
2/3 done Biology. :smile: **** all done of any other subject. Lol. :smile:

I'm in a similar situation, although I'm not sure I'm 2/3 done with Bio. I'm going to revise Bio until Sunday and then a bit of Eng Lang preparation, then focus on Chem, Physics and History and skim over French tenses / verbs / structures etc...

Thanks for the PM rikesh! Welcome to TSR! I never thought of looking at the examiner reports. All the best to you to!
Yeh guys no worries....i'll keep posting whatever I can. 2 weeks today GCSE's completely disappear for me. Hope its a similar time span for you guys, lol.
Reply 34
Do you think it is worth it making a revision card for every page in the CGP Bio guide or should you just read through it and make sure you understand the topic?

Also, has anyone got a main topic list and a list of questions which seem to come up every exam?

Thanks!
Reply 35

Thanks for that report thing. I'm finding the marks needed for different grades pretty confusing though. Does anyone know for sure what kind of percentage or marks are needed to get an A or A*. (either with CW or without, I don't mind - i'm just wandering)
Do any of you find that AQA Biology Spec B is SO STUPID? It's hardly biological knowledge, just a mixture of general knowledge/random guesswork/common sense?
Reply 37

lol yeah I find that sometimes - guesswork and general knowlege types of Q's annoy me!
Reply 38
Yeah you could say a bit of Bio is common sense or just some thinking or basic maths! Like in CGP Bio, the page on Population Sizes - it says at the bottom it's common sense. And also the page called There's Too Many People. However there's a lot of difficult stuff which you just have to learn - and only really tomorrow left to learn it!

I was hoping I'd have revised all of Bio /Chem / Phys by today, but I haven't even finished Bio or started Chem or Phys! Anyone else in the same situation? Looks like I've got a long two weeks ahead of me! Do you really have to learn everything in CGP Bio and the relevant sections in the CGP Additional Science book for an A*, or is it more about practicing past papers and exam technique?

Anyone got an answer to my previous post

'Do you think it is worth it making a revision card for every page in the CGP Bio guide or should you just read through it and make sure you understand the topic?

Also, has anyone got a main topic list and a list of questions which seem to come up every exam?'
Reply 39
Just thought I'd say yeah I'm in the same situation, but I'm just about do some some of one of the Sciences now.. dunno which. Might try and do some more Biology.

Latest