The Student Room Group

Applying to medical school

I'm currently in Y12 and I'm absolutely invested in applying to medical school, but I'm trying to decide where to apply that will give me the best chance of a place. I'll be taking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A2 and my GCSE's aren't as good as most applicants (4A*, 5A's, 2B's). I know that there is vast competition and a lot of universities favor Maths and Physics as well, especially abroad. Are there any particular universities that are better to apply to without all these subjects and/or don't look at GCSE's as much?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
University entry requirements can change year upon year. Whilst there are some universities which focus more or less on GCSE's now it is not fair to say whether this will change in the future.

Unfortunately, as irritating as it is, you will just have to check through the individual universities entry requirements when you come to apply. Unless a kind internet person compiles a list outlining all the relevant criteria. I'd be sure to double check on any information though, as it would be a tragedy to apply somewhere that doesn't suit your strengths.
Original post by Freya2507
I'm currently in Y12 and I'm absolutely invested in applying to medical school, but I'm trying to decide where to apply that will give me the best chance of a place. I'll be taking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A2 and my GCSE's aren't as good as most applicants (4A*, 5A's, 2B's). I know that there is vast competition and a lot of universities favor Maths and Physics as well, especially abroad. Are there any particular universities that are better to apply to without all these subjects and/or don't look at GCSE's as much?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Providing they don't change it, you'd probably score full points in Liverpools scoring system for GCSEs. As long as your English, maths and science GCSEs are all A or A*. Also Keele, Bristol, Nottingham maybe.

I didn't take physics and only took maths to AS level and got two medicine interviews this year. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I know that Newcastle hardly look at GCSES, I think if you do either one of biology or chemistry to A2 and the other to AS then they don't look at them at all. But if you only do one to A2 and dont have the other to AS they just check to see whether you have an A in the missing one at GCSE. Im not sure if thats 100% accurate what ive just said but i would definitely check the Newcastle medicine website and see, it may have changed since last year but i doubt it would of much if anything! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending