The Student Room Group

Parents - help!

Hi! Starting uni in September and seeing as getting through to HMRC on the phone is impossible thought I'd try here. Just wanted to check - will I still receive child tax credits when I have my student loan? (Currently unemployed on income support which I know will stop and I get the maximum amount of child tax.)
I think you get the childcare grant and the parents learning allowances if you qualify for either or both that and your maintainence loan should cover any and all childcare costs. Hmrc would unfortunately be the ppl to ask about the credits. Though I don't know if at uni you're actually paying any tax to credit from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by seafruit88
I think you get the childcare grant and the parents learning allowances if you qualify for either or both that and your maintainence loan should cover any and all childcare costs. Hmrc would unfortunately be the ppl to ask about the credits. Though I don't know if at uni you're actually paying any tax to credit from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've got all of that sorted, I just wasn't sure about the tax credits side. You don't have to be paying tax to get child tax credit, it's for unemployed or those on a low income (it changes to working tax when you work more than 16 hours a week). I'll keep trying HMRC but getting through is a nightmare. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending