The Student Room Group

38 miners killed in Siberian coal mine

http://english.pravda.ru/news/russia/25-05-2007/92140-bodies_mine-0

in the second incident in two months at mines owned by OAO Yuzhkuzbassugol, 38 miners were killed in a methane explosion at a mine in siberia. Authorities had previously tried to close the mine, and the russian government is considering removing the firm's licence.

Russia extends its unreserved sympathies to the families of the victims of this tragedy, and would hope that the MUN will join it in condemning the actions of the mine owners, and calling for tighter international regulations on safety of workers - we have considered putting forth a resolution on this subject, but would prefer to stimulate debate on the matter.
Reply 1
Iran seconds the sentiments of the Russian rep and sends its condolences to the families to those who have died.
Reply 2
China is sorry to hear about the incident, but will persevere in dealing with its own interstructure before involving itself in that of other nations. Having said as much, China would be perfectly willing to meet with Russian authorities in order to share ideas and strategies for improving conditions for labourers, if Russia feels that this could be productive in any way.
Reply 3
Liechtenstein offers its condolences to the families, and opes this sort of incident will not occur again.
Reply 4
The US extends its condolences to the affected families.

Latest

Trending

Trending