The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
More like 50% or so
Its more likely to be 90% that get into top 10 unis
Reply 61
And yes its true most grammar schools are predominately middle class, people on EMA (at least at my school) are rareities. People typically had private schools as back up options if they get into the top grammars, showing the middle class bias
Reply 62
And yes its true most grammar schools are predominately middle class

Exactly, I remembered when I was in my prep school (I know I was born with a silver spoon) everyone was being prepared to be sent to the local grammar because why spend £23,000 on fees when you can get the same education for free?
Reply 63
tash23
Eton. Something like 90% of their school leavers go to oxford or cambridge :O

untrue... just alittle over 40%
Reply 64
I think Eton is the most famous school, but Le Rosey is the most "elitist" one, attracting the children of the jet-set.
rachelcee

which uni's do the rest go to??

london, bristol and durham???
Reply 66
rachelcee

Eton is standard academically. There's nothing special about it.
AdamTJ
Eton is standard academically. There's nothing special about it.

I agree, its just the history and prestige.
Excalibur
In this country I would say Eton but don't know about the others. Le Rosey is just :eek: Heh, I'll always be proud of my average comprehensive! :p:
I won't. I would've loved to go to Le Rosey. My secondary school and college are crap in comparison *sulks*.
EDIT: Have just had a think...I actually would have hated it as I liked going home every day after school and being with my family. However, the facilities are undeniably good at that school. All's well...
You don't necessarily receive a much better standard of education at such schools, of course its better but not in proportion to the hype surrounding it.
Reply 70
Westminster's a lovely school, and they're really pushing the boat out with regards to bursaries. The other night the Headmaster had a fundraising event for the bursary fund which raised over £1m, which should fund at least 10 pupils completely through 5 years. Plus we're good academically!
Reply 71
hermaphrodite
Eton

Harrow

Westminster, Charterhouse, St Pauls, Merchant Taylors , Rugby there's another one . . can't think of it . . Winchester . . ,perhaps Fetters(?) I only say that cos TB went there . . to name but a few

Not really.. Merchant Taylors isn't that elitist...
More elitist schools would be: Haberdashers Aske, Malvern College, Marlborough College, Wellington College, University College School, City of London, Dulwich College, Sherborne, Merchiston, Latymer Upper School, even my school Highgate...
Oh and it's Fettes College..
Reply 72
What about Repton?
Reply 73
Angelil
What about Repton?

It's a minor public school isn't it? It's alright I guess, I wouldn't really get excited over it.

Lucho- MTs is massively on the up. It's now better than all of those places, save for Habs.
Reply 74
Thre is a difference between academically elitist and elitism of attitudes/social snobbery. Hugely expensive schools like Eton, Le Rosey may be elitist in the general sense, but in the academic sense, are surpassed by relatively cheap private schools like Habs/City of London girls and a few of the grammars
Reply 75
nayiseda
Thre is a difference between academically elitist and elitism of attitudes/social snobbery. Hugely expensive schools like Eton, Le Rosey may be elitist in the general sense, but in the academic sense, are surpassed by relatively cheap private schools like Habs/City of London girls and a few of the grammars

Ye, completely agreed. Habs is staunchly upper middle class. It's by no means elitist in the social sense, in that most people's parents there are lawyers, doctors and other professionals. It's basically a school for the nouveau riche although obviously you do get the occassional less wealthy person whose parents really have to scrape the barrel money-wise. It is however, fairly elitist in the academic sense (although North London, Westminster and St Paul's are all probably a teeny bit better at the moment. But they're all similar types of schools.)

Whereas Eton, Rugby, Charterhouse and Harrow are more socially exclusive, but less intellectually exclusive. Even somewhere like Q.E. Boys which must be around the best grammar in the country, will be better academically than all of these. So it depends by what the OP means by elitist.
lucho22
More elitist schools would be: Haberdashers Aske, Malvern College, Marlborough College, Wellington College, University College School, City of London, Dulwich College, Sherborne, Merchiston, Latymer Upper School, even my school Highgate...

You must be having a laugh. Half of those aren't elitist in any sense other than that they are fee paying. Wellington will basically subsidise all your fees if you're a good rugby player, the same can be said for Dulwich.

Eton's latest headmaster is apparently attempting to retract views of the school as elitist - as far as i'm aware they've started fishing the brightest kids they can find out of state schools. I suppose this may be a start but it doesn't change 500 years of school policy, and for that reason it'll always be an elitist institution.

We do rugby and athletics against Eton, and the guys there don't seem abnormal in comparison to boys at other boarding schools.
lucho22

Highgate and UCS are not elitist, you honestly could have picked better examples than those. As a north London school boy, surely you would think that NLCS, HBS, QE or Harrow would heve been better options!!
Reply 78
ejazzilancelott
Highgate and UCS are not elitist, you honestly could have picked better examples than those. As a north London school boy, surely you would think that NLCS, HBS, QE or Harrow would heve been better options!!

QE and HBS aren't remotely "elitist" by my interpretation of the word - they promote inclusiveness if anything!! They're not even fee-paying..
But this is besides the point as I was simply mentioning the ones I did because others such as Harrow had already been mentioned, the point being that Merchant Taylors really isn't in the league that the other poster was putting it in.

Latest

Trending

Trending