The Student Room Group

Transferring university for second year

Hello, I'm currently in my second year at the university of Hertfordshire studying psychology and I would like to transfer to another university. I have been doing well in my grades however I feel as though I could potentially perform better elsewhere as I feel like I get very limited help from lecturers. I'm really confused and feel unsure about the process and what to do. Is there anyone who has gone through this process before where you've either transferred from first year into second year or are in the same position as I am and want to re-do second year at another university.

I would firstly like to know whether applying for UCAS was difficult the second time around since it's been a while I feel as though I've forgotten all about UCAS. Additionally, I have had some university email me asking whether I could send them my original UCAS application by email and my current modules and grades. But I don't know if they would like me to send them a link or screenshots of my UCAS and modules and grades or what? If anybody has any insight into this process I would love some help!!

Also anyone studying psychology at City, Aston, Nottingham, Keele or Essex could you tell me what it's like how the course is and what it's like living there etc. that would be awesome. And also anyone who has transferred to these universities your feedback would also be great.

Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Applying through UCAS is easy, you enter all your GCSE/A level grades as before but this time you also enter your university modules grades too. This thread should answer all your questions: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Original post by nikkipaatel
Hello, I'm currently in my second year at the university of Hertfordshire studying psychology and I would like to transfer to another university. I have been doing well in my grades however I feel as though I could potentially perform better elsewhere as I feel like I get very limited help from lecturers. I'm really confused and feel unsure about the process and what to do. Is there anyone who has gone through this process before where you've either transferred from first year into second year or are in the same position as I am and want to re-do second year at another university.

I would firstly like to know whether applying for UCAS was difficult the second time around since it's been a while I feel as though I've forgotten all about UCAS. Additionally, I have had some university email me asking whether I could send them my original UCAS application by email and my current modules and grades. But I don't know if they would like me to send them a link or screenshots of my UCAS and modules and grades or what? If anybody has any insight into this process I would love some help!!

Also anyone studying psychology at City, Aston, Nottingham, Keele or Essex could you tell me what it's like how the course is and what it's like living there etc. that would be awesome. And also anyone who has transferred to these universities your feedback would also be great.

Thank you.

Hey :smile:

I am a current student at the Essex university and this is my fourth year here as I do my masters degree on law. The environment is really nice, friendly people and staff, there are things to do including activities, leisure time (mostly in town), carreer opportunities and generally people love it here at Essex. I was offered both of my part-time jobs here because of the great opportunities they were offering and also the teaching level is really high. I cannot tell you many things about psychology but as I remember from some friends who were studying the course, psychology here is indeed challenging but they did enjoy it. I am sure @Natalie.1 can tell you more about that as she is a psychology student here at Essex! :smile:

Hope that helps!
^andriana
Reply 3
Original post by andriana16

I am a current student at the Essex university and this is my fourth year here as I do my masters degree on law. The environment is really nice, friendly people and staff, there are things to do including activities, leisure time (mostly in town), carreer opportunities and generally people love it here at Essex. I was offered both of my part-time jobs here because of the great opportunities they were offering and also the teaching level is really high. I cannot tell you many things about psychology but as I remember from some friends who were studying the course, psychology here is indeed challenging but they did enjoy it. I am sure @Natalie.1 can tell you more about that as she is a psychology student here at Essex! :smile:

Hope that helps!
^andriana

Thank you so much, andrianna, If you don't mind me asking what was it like for you living in halls? Also what is the campus like?
Thank you so much, andrianna, If you don't mind me asking what was it like for you living in halls? Also what is the campus like?

Hiya!
I'm a final year Psychology student at Essex, and I lived in the towers in my first year. Personally I loved living in the towers. I was incredibly shy so living with 13 other people really helped me come out of my shell and make lots of amazing friends. I really like the campus too, because everything is close together which I find really convenient. I also love all the greenery on campus, its lovely for when I want to go for a quick walk to clear my head.

As for the psychology course, Andriana is completely right! The course is challenging at times, but also very rewarding. Personally for me, I struggled a little with stats but they have lots of voluntary support classes which really helped me get a good grade. As long as you do ask for help when you need it, it will be perfectly fine!

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions you may have!
^Sharmila
Reply 5
Thank you sooo much, you've been great help. Also with regards to the lecturers how are they? Are they actually helpful and informative? At my current university some of my lecturers I feel like they don't actually care and don't help very much so I'm particularly worried about going to a uni where something similar might happen again.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for considering us, to shed a little light on the admissions process: Often a screenshot is acceptable, in cases where you don't have a printed transcript, you may however need to back that screenshot up with a printed transcript by the time of enrolment.

Rather than taking a shot in the dark, i'm a 2014 Psychology graduate from Aston and have lived in Birmingham all my life, so i was wondering if you had anything specific to ask, rather than me throwing rankings and stuff at you?

Josh :smile:
Thank you sooo much, you've been great help. Also with regards to the lecturers how are they? Are they actually helpful and informative? At my current university some of my lecturers I feel like they don't actually care and don't help very much so I'm particularly worried about going to a uni where something similar might happen again.

Hello,
I'm in my second year studying Psychology at the University of Essex.
I think the lecturers are really helpful. You can email them at any time and they will do their best to get back to you quickly. I often email lecturers and they reply the same day or arrange a meeting for the very next day. Student satisfaction at the University of Essex is joint second in the UK which I think reflects how helpful the lecturers are.

I hope this helps!
Natalie.

Of course I don't mind! I lived in the university quays. They are approximately 15 minutes walk away from the uni, which isn't that far - there was a bus stop right outside the main entrance of the accommodation too. The rooms were spacious and renovated, classic en-suite and I was sharing the kitchen area with another 5 people. Once a week we had a cleaning lady for the kitchen as well. In general I had a quite nice time there - it was quiet, I had an easy and quick access to the uni, Tesco was near by (had to walk about 15-20 minutes to get there) and there was a bus for the town too. The campus is great! It has anything a student wants :smile:It is divided into 5 squares. There are several entrances but the main entrance is in square 1 where is the psychology building. In square 2 you can find the employability centre, the IT labs and our seminars classes. The cafes, restaurants, bar (and Starbucks) mini market and banks are in square 3 and in square 4 you can find our main market - the SU shop, our clothing and accessories boutique, the post and our diner. And in square 5 it's our bookshop, library, lake and the Silberrad Information centre - where you can pay your accommodation for example, order any documents etc, the IT centre as well is there. It' s really amazing, our uni is into the forest, we have a lot of ducks and squirrells as well :smile: the staff is really friendly and nice! The rest of the accommodation is into the uni too - the Towers, South Courts, the Houses :smile:

Hope that helps! For anything else just ask me!
^andriana

No worries! I find the lecturers really helpful and have always found that they reply really quickly to emails and are very supportive and helpful.

One thing I would suggest is that you come along to a visit or open day so you can come and see the uni and department for yourself, which will really help you get a sense of what your time at Essex would be like, and then you can decide whether you think its for you :smile:

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have, and good luck! :smile:

^Sharmila
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

Thanks for considering us, to shed a little light on the admissions process: Often a screenshot is acceptable, in cases where you don't have a printed transcript, you may however need to back that screenshot up with a printed transcript by the time of enrolment.

Rather than taking a shot in the dark, i'm a 2014 Psychology graduate from Aston and have lived in Birmingham all my life, so i was wondering if you had anything specific to ask, rather than me throwing rankings and stuff at you?

Hello Josh, thanks for replying! Yeah actually I was wondering what are the lecturers like as in do they actually help you and how well do they seem to teach the content? I'm also wondering is it difficult to actually get to the university itself or is there easy access to trains etc. Thank you so much!
Hello Josh, thanks for replying! Yeah actually I was wondering what are the lecturers like as in do they actually help you and how well do they seem to teach the content? I'm also wondering is it difficult to actually get to the university itself or is there easy access to trains etc. Thank you so much!

Hi,

No problem, in terms of lectures it's a slightly mixed bag, every lecturer will have a different style and you'll have over a dozen in your time at Aston, it will depend on how you personally learn.

However i have no complaints from my time studying here, i had some amazing lecturers, either because they fired up my passion for the subject or took a really difficult subject and broke it up into a digestible easy to understand format. Additionally there is both a multitude of learning support and bookable office hours available with lecturers if you are stuck.

Just be aware that these slots fill up fast around deadline submission time, so book one in, well in advance.

Travel really is subject to where you're commuting from, there are several bus routes that run directly through Jennens road, otherwise both Moore Street and New Street stations are fairly close, with a ten minute walk through the city centre. Otherwise there is always the option to live on campus.

Anything else just give me a shout

Thank you.

Hello :smile:

Although I'm not studying psychology, I am hoping to transfer directly into second year at Essex. I am getting incredibly anxious as I haven't heard back from them yet, but I'm really hoping I get in. The university is in my hometown - I've lived in Colchester for 20 years and know a bit about the uni as a lot of my friends are currently studying there and they all love it!

All the best in your transfer and I hope you are successful in finding a new university :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest