The Student Room Group

Free speech is truly dying

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
I would and do what do you consider harassment?
If a feminist approaches me to talk about patriarchy is that harassment?
If someone wanted to talk to me about ukip?
If a sjw talked to me about privilege?

If someone said "hey can I talk to you?", "have you got a minute to spare" or "hey can I ask you for your views on such and such...", then I don't consider it harassment. But if someone walks up to you randomly on the street and starts criticising your religion, gender or whatever, then I would consider it harassment.
Reply 21
Original post by The Epicurean
If someone said "hey can I talk to you?", "have you got a minute to spare" or "hey can I ask you for your views on such and such...", then I don't consider it harassment. But if someone walks up to you randomly on the street and starts criticising your religion, gender or whatever, then I would consider it harassment.

So if he has asked her if she has a minute first it would be ok
So if he has asked her if she has a minute first it would be ok

The point is about getting the consent of the other person. If they are fully aware the they are going to have a debate and have agreed to such a debate, and they ask this woman this question, then yes, they are entitled to do so. Whether it is a good question or not is a different topic. But as long as they have the consent, and the person knows fully well they are entering into a debate on a sensitive topic, then I support free speech.

Such a question is easier asked on a debate forum where one doesn't have such issues. People enter debate forums knowing full well that people will ask questions and will criticise their views and opinions. If he had asked that same question on a debate forum, then there would be absolutely no grounds for him to be considered to have committed harassment.
Its not illegal (Yet) to be a moron or to be ignorant. This guy did not incite hatred. He was not racist. He was not abusive. He was not threatening

What happened was an idiot asked a muslim woman to explain the Belgian attacks. Ludicrously stupid and its clear he thinks because she is a muslim, she must excuse fellow muslims actions which is obviously stupid... It should not be illegal to do so lmfao

Stupidity and ignorance are not racism or hate speech
Original post by HanSoloLuck
This is the 3rd thread about this, I made one then someone told me they had made on, now I'm telling you that I made one lol.

Also free speech isn't dying, you either have it or you don't. It's an all or nothing sort of thing, free speech is dead not dying.

I suggest you count your blessings. There are countries in the world where if you mouth off against the ruling party, you could simply disappear. At that point, it's not useful to define free speech as all or nothing - we don't have complete and absolute freedom to say whatever the hell we like under any circumstances, true, but we are clearly more free to speak our minds than people who live in those countries. You can continue to argue that the fact that your freedom of speech is the slightest bit curtailed means that one of your God-given rights is irredeemably dead, but in my eyes, that's just kind of whiny, to be honest.
They are blurring the line between Muslim (a religion) and race.
I have just re read up on it and it appears he was arrested for "inciting racial hatred on social media" - I dont know everything he has tweeted so i guess there is prob more to this than a "guy arrested for asking muslim woman to explain belgium attacks arrested"
Reply 27
https://twitter.com/matthewdoyle31
He says a lot of things I don't like some are offensive but I don't think any of them incite hatred.
"Stirring up racial tension, opposition, even hostility may not necessarily be enough to amount to an offence."
I personally think he falls in one of these categories not hatred
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35888748

Free speech has to protect stupidity and the right to be wrong.
Wha he has done is stupid it doesn't incite racial hatred and arresting him for it will not solve any problem, if you think the way to solve a problem is by attacking people's thoughts the people will react.

It seems the 46% are getting their way.

that's what happens when muslims and homosexuals rise to power.
Wait... how can a Muslim woman who had nothing to do with the attack explain Brussel? Was she the spokesman for all Muslims of the world?

I'll admit the guy seems a bit stupid to assume a Muslim woman could take responsibility for a attack she didn't commit but what was prison going to accomplished?

Charge the guy at most but prison time sounds over the top.
Original post by kieran12321LFC
I'm glad that TSRians aren't normal people because the average person would believe this bloke was an idiot but shouldn't have been arrested yet loads of you who can't wrap your head around the fact that not everything that is bad needs punishing

It sends a good message to the racist and xenophobes who want to divide society.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Its not illegal (Yet) to be a moron or to be ignorant. This guy did not incite hatred. He was not racist. He was not abusive. He was not threatening

What happened was an idiot asked a muslim woman to explain the Belgian attacks. Ludicrously stupid and its clear he thinks because she is a muslim, she must excuse fellow muslims actions which is obviously stupid... It should not be illegal to do so lmfao

Stupidity and ignorance are not racism or hate speech

Trolling again, I see
Original post by Frank Underwood
Trolling again, I see

Bit rich.
It's not about free speech, it's about harassment. He picked out a random person in the street and began to abuse them.

Knowing my temper, if someone did that to me, I could easily have taken a swing for them and plead self-defense after being hounded by an aggressive and intimidating stranger.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35888748

Free speech has to protect stupidity and the right to be wrong.
Wha he has done is stupid it doesn't incite racial hatred and arresting him for it will not solve any problem, if you think the way to solve a problem is by attacking people's thoughts the people will react.

It seems the 46% are getting their way.

There has never been free speech in the UK
Reply 35
Original post by Slutty Salati
It's not about free speech, it's about harassment. He picked out a random person in the street and began to abuse them.

Knowing my temper, if someone did that to me, I could easily have taken a swing for them and plead self-defense after being hounded by an aggressive and intimidating stranger.

He was not charged with harassment if he was I wouldn't disagree as I can agree it probably is, he was charged with inciting racial hatred which it is not.
He was not charged with harassment if he was I wouldn't disagree as I can agree it probably is, he was charged with inciting racial hatred which it is not.

Context is important, if he'd asked a Muslim if they would be willing to answer some questions about their beliefs, it would have been fine. He picked out a random person and attempted to hold them responsible for actions they had nothing to do with.

Where does it say he was actually charged?
I don't think this guy needed arresting, I wonder if the event he tweeted even happened tbh, as far as I've seen, no complaint has been made by the person he spoke to. I think it might just be a stupid and misguided attempt at self promotion for his business, which appears to have backfired spectacularly.
Reply 39
Original post by Slutty Salati
Context is important, if he'd asked a Muslim if they would be willing to answer some questions about their beliefs, it would have been fine. He picked out a random person and attempted to hold them responsible for actions they had nothing to do with.

What he did was wrong but it is not inciting racial hatred

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending