The Student Room Group

I need help on becoming a Vet

Hi guys I'm new to this so please bare with me.

I'm currently studying english literature, psychology and Biology, I dropped chemistry because the content deprived me from revising for my other subjects.
I had (still have) my heart set on becoming a vet, I looked at RVC and they said to get a degree in veterinary nursing and then could transfer to veterinary medicine, but does anyone know any other universities that offer this too? And has anyone here taken this route?

Scroll to see replies

Theres also the six year degree, but youd have to check to see if you can meet the criteria.

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/veterinary-gateway

As fars as I understand it the problem is funding for the second degree, so unless you are wealthy, then you would have to go and work to save up some of the fees.
Im sure very determined people do take that route and ive seen a few people mention it on here before.
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/veterinarysurgeon.aspx
Did RVC really said you could transfer? Or do you mean a graduate entry? Because as far as I know none of the unis allow transfers from other degrees to vet med. You can only apply as a grad.
Original post by Jokonkwo
Hi guys I'm new to this so please bare with me.

I'm currently studying english literature, psychology and Biology, I dropped chemistry because the content deprived me from revising for my other subjects.
I had (still have) my heart set on becoming a vet, I looked at RVC and they said to get a degree in veterinary nursing and then could transfer to veterinary medicine, but does anyone know any other universities that offer this too? And has anyone here taken this route?

You can't transfer. You would have to complete the veterinary nursing degree, then apply to vet med as a graduate applicant unfortunately. You would still have to be interviewed as any other applicant would have to be, it is NOT a definite way into vet med. This also means you will not be funded for the second degree, you would have to pay a minimum of £9000 a year for tuition fees.
The route of 'transferring' you are talking about does not exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
[QUOTE=Lizziefickling;63655873]You can't transfer. You would have to complete the veterinary nursing degree, then apply to vet med as a graduate applicant unfortunately. You would still have to be interviewed as any other applicant would have to be, it is NOT a definite way into vet med. This also means you will not be funded for the second degree, you would have to pay a minimum of £9000 a year for tuition fees.
The route of 'transferring' you are talking about does not exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yes sorry, that was what I was meant to say. So I intend on completing the veterinary nursing degree and then applying to vet med as a graduate. So does this mean that I would only get a student loan for the first degree only?
And would youbsay that this process is expensive?
Also how could I make myself stand out to be chosen?
Reply 5
Original post by Nessie162
Did RVC really said you could transfer? Or do you mean a graduate entry? Because as far as I know none of the unis allow transfers from other degrees to vet med. You can only apply as a grad.

Yeah sorry I meant graduate entry, but other than RVC do you know any other universities that'll allow me to have a degree in veterinary nursing to then study extra to become a vet
Reply 6
[QUOTE=999tigger;63643629]Theres also the six year degree, but youd have to check to see if you can meet the criteria.

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/veterinary-gateway

As fars as I understand it the problem is funding for the second degree, so unless you are wealthy, then you would have to go and work to save up some of the fees.
Im sure very determined people do take that route and ive seen a few people mention it on here before.
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/veterinarysurgeon.aspx

Do you know how much it'll cost altogether in getting a degree in veterinary nursing and Veterinary medicine ?
I'm still in sixth form so I know little about the fee side of things. Also do you know any other universities that'll allow me to study extra to become a vet if I already have a degree in veterinary nursing
Oh yes sorry, that was what I was meant to say. So I intend on completing the veterinary nursing degree and then applying to vet med as a graduate. So does this mean that I would only get a student loan for the first degree only?
And would youbsay that this process is expensive?
Also how could I make myself stand out to be chosen?

Yes student finance will only pay your tuition fees for the nursing degree, for the vet med degree afterwards you would have to pay the £9000 a year yourself. You do get a maintenance loan from student finance, but obviously you would need that to live off and you wouldn't be able to use it to pay your fees.
It is expensive, yes. I have family which I'm lucky enough to have to help me pay for the vet med degree, otherwise I would massively struggle. Working alongside the degree doesn't work, unless it's seriously part time work. I do have a job but I literally work once a week, if that, which isn't anywhere near enough to cover £3000 a term.
Standing out wise, you would need to keep up your work experience, and get a decent degree at the end of your vet nursing degree. All the universities ask for a 2:1 or higher, so getting that 2:1 is a must.
You would also be expected to still have an As in chemistry, look at the universities individually for what they require but they all require some form of As level alongside the degree. So even if you've got the degree, you still need the As level they ask for with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
[QUOTE=Lizziefickling;63656665]Yes student finance will only pay your tuition fees for the nursing degree, for the vet med degree afterwards you would have to pay the £9000 a year yourself. You do get a maintenance loan from student finance, but obviously you would need that to live off and you wouldn't be able to use it to pay your fees.
It is expensive, yes. I have family which I'm lucky enough to have to help me pay for the vet med degree, otherwise I would massively struggle. Working alongside the degree doesn't work, unless it's seriously part time work. I do have a job but I literally work once a week, if that, which isn't anywhere near enough to cover £3000 a term.
Standing out wise, you would need to keep up your work experience, and get a decent degree at the end of your vet nursing degree. All the universities ask for a 2:1 or higher, so getting that 2:1 is a must.
You would also be expected to still have an As in chemistry, look at the universities individually for what they require but they all require some form of As level alongside the degree. So even if you've got the degree, you still need the As level they ask for with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh! You're studying to become a vet, how is it like ? And with what you have to study in university is it hard, harder than A levels or easier ? Because although the content for chemistry was fine but when it came to the exam papers everything went wrong for me. Even now that I'll only have 3 a levels when would you say would be the bet time for me to pick up chemistry again?
Do you know how much it'll cost altogether in getting a degree in veterinary nursing and Veterinary medicine ?
I'm still in sixth form so I know little about the fee side of things. Also do you know any other universities that'll allow me to study extra to become a vet if I already have a degree in veterinary nursing

I thnk whats being said is the sheer expense you need to try your absolute best to get onto a vet degree from the start, so you get funding.

If you do a vet nurse degree then if thats 3 or 4 years its £9000 pa fees and then whatever you need to live, which could vary from £5-10k depending where you are.

The problem is then you will have run out of the amount sfe will be prepared to fund you, so unless you have wealthy parents you will have to earn the money.
Your vets degree is 5-6 years so £45-54k and then maybe the same in living expenses, so you could be approaching £100k. This could take many years for people who arent rich and be impossible for others.

Unless you are wealthy, then if you want to be a vet you should make every effort to get onto a vets degree from the start, which means you need the grades to give you a good chance. If you dont get the grades immediately, then am not sure if you can resit. If they accpet resits Id do that , but thats just me.

Am not a vet (so vets dont shoot me and please correct me if im wrong).
heh thought lizzie looked like a vet/ vet nurse
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh! You're studying to become a vet, how is it like ? And with what you have to study in university is it hard, harder than A levels or easier ? Because although the content for chemistry was fine but when it came to the exam papers everything went wrong for me. Even now that I'll only have 3 a levels when would you say would be the bet time for me to pick up chemistry again?

I am yes, I'm a second year and I'm doing it as a graduate students.
It's a hell of a lot harder than A levels, I'm going to be brutally honest here. It's not a walk in the park. The sheer volume of stuff you have to learn as a vet med student is enormous, and you have to pass the exams, you don't have coursework to fall back on. It's achievable, but it's been hard so far, and I've had to sort myself out and have a word many a time just to get myself back on track.
My advice would be to re sit your A levels if you can, and go from there. I would never advise anyone to go the graduate route unless it's the last last option for them. You've got plenty of time to turn things round, but you need to find a way of working for exams that works for you, because you haven't got a choice at vet school, you pass or you have to leave. You can take a gap year if needed, but I wouldn't apply to vet school until you've got those grades needed. You only get 2 chances to apply to each of the vet schools, don't waste any of them if you're not ready!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 999tigger
I thnk whats being said is the sheer expense you need to try your absolute best to get onto a vet degree from the start, so you get funding.

If you do a vet nurse degree then if thats 3 or 4 years its £9000 pa fees and then whatever you need to live, which could vary from £5-10k depending where you are.

The problem is then you will have run out of the amount sfe will be prepared to fund you, so unless you have wealthy parents you will have to earn the money.
Your vets degree is 5-6 years so £45-54k and then maybe the same in living expenses, so you could be approaching £100k. This could take many years for people who arent rich and be impossible for others.

Unless you are wealthy, then if you want to be a vet you should make every effort to get onto a vets degree from the start, which means you need the grades to give you a good chance. If you dont get the grades immediately, then am not sure if you can resit. If they accpet resits Id do that , but thats just me.

Am not a vet (so vets dont shoot me and please correct me if im wrong).
heh thought lizzie looked like a vet/ vet nurse

Haha I'm a vet student, I was a vet nurse before I got into vet school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
Haha I'm a vet student, I was a vet nurse before I got into vet school!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you do the vet nurse degree? Must be satisfying being on the main degree now. Theres another thread on the site with a student being unable to do a medical degree as his second, which is why I was emphasising what a big difference getting the right grades from the start might be and how much money and years it could save. Hindsight.

If you were a vet nurse bia the other route then just as excuted for you. Hope it meets your expectations.
(edited 8 years ago)
Did you do the vet nurse degree? Must be satisfying being on the main degree now. Theres another thread on the site with a student being unable to do a medical degree as his second, which is why I was emphasising what a big difference getting the right grades from the start might be and how much money and years it could save. Hindsight.

If you were a vet nurse bia the other route then just as excuted for you. Hope it meets your expectations.

I didn't, no. I was a trainee vet nurse but I worked as a vet nurse assistant for 7 years between finishing my GCSEs and my first degree. I did bio veterinary science for my first degree.

My housemate is also doing vet med as her second degree and she doesn't have the means to have family help pay for tuition fees. She does struggle, and has to work every holiday to attempt to save up. I wouldn't ever want to watch someone else go through that, hence why I would never advise doing vet med as a second degree unless there is a way of paying for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
I didn't, no. I was a trainee vet nurse but I worked as a vet nurse assistant for 7 years between finishing my GCSEs and my first degree. I did bio veterinary science for my first degree.

My housemate is also doing vet med as her second degree and she doesn't have the means to have family help pay for tuition fees. She does struggle, and has to work every holiday to attempt to save up. I wouldn't ever want to watch someone else go through that, hence why I would never advise doing vet med as a second degree unless there is a way of paying for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think its hard to appeciate debt and how hard money is to come by when you are in the sixth form. At least the OP knows now. Hope it all goes well for you and your friend.
I think its hard to appeciate debt and how hard money is to come by when you are in the sixth form. At least the OP knows now. Hope it all goes well for you and your friend.

I didn't realise back when I was at school. Now in over £50,000 of debt and I haven't even finished vet med. I'll never pay the loans back but it'll be worth it when I finish 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
[QUOTE=Lizziefickling;63657809]I am yes, I'm a second year and I'm doing it as a graduate students.
It's a hell of a lot harder than A levels, I'm going to be brutally honest here. It's not a walk in the park. The sheer volume of stuff you have to learn as a vet med student is enormous, and you have to pass the exams, you don't have coursework to fall back on. It's achievable, but it's been hard so far, and I've had to sort myself out and have a word many a time just to get myself back on track.
My advice would be to re sit your A levels if you can, and go from there. I would never advise anyone to go the graduate route unless it's the last last option for them. You've got plenty of time to turn things round, but you need to find a way of working for exams that works for you, because you haven't got a choice at vet school, you pass or you have to leave. You can take a gap year if needed, but I wouldn't apply to vet school until you've got those grades needed. You only get 2 chances to apply to each of the vet schools, don't waste any of them if you're not ready!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow I honestly appreciate this, making me think carefully. Do you think someone who's not very strong in maths/mathematics in chemistry will struggle with the veterinary medicine course?

And I feel like I may just pick up chemistry again next year, so might spend 3 years in sixth form.
Reply 17
[QUOTE=Jokonkwo;63659299].
Wow I honestly appreciate this, making me think carefully. Do you think someone who's not very strong in maths/mathematics in chemistry will struggle with the veterinary medicine course? Like already i have loads of experience which I enjoyed so much, from working in veterinary practices, farm etc.

And I feel like I may just pick up chemistry again next year, so might spend 3 years in sixth form. What do you think?
Wow I honestly appreciate this, making me think carefully. Do you think someone who's not very strong in maths/mathematics in chemistry will struggle with the veterinary medicine course?

And I feel like I may just pick up chemistry again next year, so might spend 3 years in sixth form.

I suck at maths... Like I totally suck at it. I had a little breakdown in one of my integrated lectures because I literally couldn't get my head round fluid calculations, then no-one else around me got it either so don't worry 😂 it's all literally drug/fluid calculations and once you've been taught it in an easy way (I need step by step) you won't have a problem.
Chemistry wise, very little of the course is chemistry based. There's some biochem at the beginning but it's not rock hard and fairly easy to get your head around if you listen in lectures. Again I'm not the best at chemistry but I've managed.

The majority of the course is biology based/anatomy. You need the chemistry before you start but you won't struggle
With it at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
[QUOTE=Lizziefickling;63659519]I suck at maths... Like I totally suck at it. I had a little breakdown in one of my integrated lectures because I literally couldn't get my head round fluid calculations, then no-one else around me got it either so don't worry 😂 it's all literally drug/fluid calculations and once you've been taught it in an easy way (I need step by step) you won't have a problem.
Chemistry wise, very little of the course is chemistry based. There's some biochem at the beginning but it's not rock hard and fairly easy to get your head around if you listen in lectures. Again I'm not the best at chemistry but I've managed.

The majority of the course is biology based/anatomy. You need the chemistry before you start but you won't struggle
With it at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not good at maths either, got a C for gcse but going to redo it again to get a B. Wow so if chemistry/maths isn't even wholly part of the course then I guess I might as we still try my best and get a decent grade in chemistry when I pick it up again.

Which university do you go to ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending