The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

CS in Glasgow or Southampton?

Hello everyone!

I applied to study Computer Science at 5 universities in the UK this year (I am an EU applicant). I received offers from Glasgow, Strathclyde, Southampton and Newcastle and I have a hard time deciding which two universities to choose. I am considering Glasgow and Southampton for my first choice.

The University of Glasgow is in the top 1% of the world's universities. It is located in the centre of Glasgow which is great. I find the programme structure interesting and I like that I can choose to study other subjects in years 1 and 2.

The University of Southampton is also a good place to study. It is ranked 7th in Computer Science and Information Systems (Guardian University Guide 2016). The living costs in Southampton will be more affordable but the city is smaller and less attractive.

Please give me some advice that will help me with my decision. I would be happy, if I could talk to someone who studies at these universities and can give me first-hand information.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey! I am also an EU student and also have a hard time choosing between Glasgow and Soton. However, I went on a visit day in Southampton and fell inlove with the city, the campus and the computer labs in the uni. Glasgow used to be my first choice (no tuition fees, vibrant city, excellent education) but what I saw in Southampton left me totally speechless. I have also talked with other current students from my country both in Glasgow and Southampton and what I can say is that I felt as if in Southampton you have more personal experience with the tutors. All in all, I am thinking about firming Southampton as it has also been ranked higher than last year(aka the uni develops) meanwhile Glasgow has dropped a bit. Good luck with your choice!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
hi both,
I hope you are able to visit Glasgow on Thursday 31st March for our Applicant Visit Day. Maybe we can give you some more insight about studying Computing Science at Glasgow - to help you make the best decision for yourselves.
Thanks,
Jeremy
(from Computing Science at Glasgow)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending