The Student Room Group

Should we be allowed to chose the gender of our babies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Vindria
It would lead to a gender inequality.

Are you sure? I know it is the case in rural areas of China, but that's because they could have only one child, and for physical labor thought they needed a male child.

I don't think it would lead to gender inequality in western families. People would probably choose one boy, one girl, or have the first child randomly and then choose the opposite gender for the second child.

I don't really care - if people want to do that, I'd let them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Serine Soul
Well in a society where men and women are regarded as equal, there really shouldn't be a problem (preferences in specific genders should even out to be 50:50)

But in other societies, it's the worst thing you can allow to happen... Then again, if a society doesn't want one particular gender because of backward ideas, maybe they do deserve to die out

I've been thinking this about that. Serves them right.
Original post by Vindria
It would lead to a gender inequality.

how? Ive heard this but considering most couples dont use fertility treatment i dont see this being a massive problem
Original post by mkap
bc if you believe in god then your going against his will if ygm.

Oh.
Yeah i get you.
Original post by mkap
people should just let nature take its course and do it the natural way.

in that case nobody should use cars, electricity, modern medicine or any kind of technology
Original post by llys
Are you sure? I know it is the case in rural areas of China, but that's because they could have only one child, and for physical labor thought they needed a male child.

I don't think it would lead to gender inequality in western families. People would probably choose one boy, one girl, or have the first child randomly and then choose the opposite gender for the second child.

I don't really care - if people want to do that, I'd let them.

I have no facts, or scientific arguments, but women tend to be more pushy in relationships, and tend to want female children, I'd imagine this would lead to more girls being born than men.
Reply 26
The slippery slope will inevitably lead to extreme Darwinism and the forced extinction/enslavement of the weak. It has happened repeatedly in history and it will happen again.
absolutely not! Technology and science should not rule every aspect of life and that even before its born. A baby is not a fashion statement, just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.
It would be choosing the sex of the baby, not the gender. No-one can know that until their child tells their parents themself.
Reply 29
Yes unless it starts to create gender imbalance. If we start moving towards 55% or whatever of the population being male/female that creates problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending