The Student Room Group

Sociology at University

Hey,
I've applied to study Sociology, I love it at A Level, I'm passionate about it and I really enjoyed it at taster sessions for my firm and insurance choices.

The thing I'm worried at is whether or not it's worth getting into so much debt as I don't know where it will lead me to for my career, I have no clue what I want to do. Has anybody done/is doing sociology that can help me understand what it's really like.

Also, I have a part time job now but I get paid so little- £3.89/hr, and so get about £40 a month which I find hard to save. My issue is, my loan doesn't even cover my accommodation, so I have no money to go to uni with - any ideas what I can do, or would it be best to defer and get myself sorted with money and clarity for the course or to just go?

Thank you!
I've applied to study Sociology at Leeds in September and I'm not particularly worried about how others perceive it as a subject, if you are interested in studying it like you say you are then you should study it. More often than not, people do not end up working in the field they study at university (how many people do History degrees then actually become Historians, History teachers etc?)

Also sociology, like other social sciences, is a broad subject and you can apply what you've learnt into so many different fields of work, it encompasses economics, politics, history, geography etc. Employers will like that, don't worry.

Finally, £3.89 an hour?! That's under the minimum wage? I'd get a new job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending