The Student Room Group
Depends where tbh. It's doubtful that, unless you have a fair deal of philosophical modules and experience, the top schools will touch you.
Reply 2
Why not do joint English & Philosophy?
Gwai
Why not do joint English & Philosophy?

True, but I wanted to apply for Oxford (unrealistic aspirations, probably wouldn't get in anyway, shouldnt be worrying about postgrad courses yet anyway etc etc) and they don't do it. My second choice (Durham) does though... but I'd miss Oxford :p:
Reply 4
acrylicafternoons
True, but I wanted to apply for Oxford (unrealistic aspirations, probably wouldn't get in anyway, shouldnt be worrying about postgrad courses yet anyway etc etc) and they don't do it. My second choice (Durham) does though... but I'd miss Oxford :p:

Well, if you're really that set on Oxford, I suppose you could go for English and Classics and try to focus on philosophical topics as far as you can.:dontknow: If I were you, though, I wouldn't really limit myself quite so much at such an early stage. Three years is quite a long time to change your mind about your interests and whether you want to do postgraduate study.
Reply 5
i studied english as an undergrad and now use philosophy as a postgrad. english compliments philosophy well insofar as both fields use similar thinking processes to critique their subject matter. i really dont know how places like oxford and cambridge would view a literary scholar during postgrad admission, but there are plenty of postgrad philosophy courses available to non-philosophy postgrads. in my eyes, oxbridge philosophers are often the cream of the crop because oxbridge often leads the western world in philosophy and postgrads have to be really clued up to enter such a complex field, where they are taught by some of the greatest living philosophers (in the traditions that they teach). if you are still interested in philosophy when you are reaching your final undergraduate year then start looking around more. you may find that you can approach philosophy within english as a postgrad and (perhaps) apply to oxbridge through this angle (perhaps?),

Latest

Trending

Trending