The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol vs Durham for Biochemistry

Hi, I've got offers for both Biochemistry at Bristol and Biosciences (which you can do a Biochemistry route in) at Durham and I'm finding it really difficult to decide between them.

For Bristol, I like how you have a wider choice of different biochemistry modules and how you can do more of the chemistry end of biochemistry but the Durham course looks really good as well. I particularly like the Durham college system because it gives you the chance to be part of a smaller community and do societies within your college etc. I also like the idea of the tradition and gowned formals. I would prefer to be in a smaller city like Durham if I was just choosing on that but obviously Bristol isn't that big compared with other UK cities. Bristol is also quite a long way from where I live (near Edinburgh) so I would have to either fly down or go on the train for 6-7 hours whereas Durham only takes 1-2 hours by train. I've also heard that a lot of people choose to go to Bristol for the nightlife and I'm not really into clubbing, drinking etc. I'm not teetotal or anything but I'm just more into going to pubs or staying in and watching a film or something. I am very interested in joining societies and things though. Are there other things to do in Bristol if you're not into clubbing? Or will I be virtually the only one? Also, how safe would you say Bristol is as a city?

From what I've read it looks like Bristol has a better international reputation but Durham has a better reputation in the UK and is sometimes seen as more academic. If so, which do you think would be better for employment prospects?

Any opinions on which one I should choose or any other information about either would be really helpful. Thank you in advance.
Original post by Sapphire321
Hi, I've got offers for both Biochemistry at Bristol and Biosciences (which you can do a Biochemistry route in) at Durham and I'm finding it really difficult to decide between them.

For Bristol, I like how you have a wider choice of different biochemistry modules and how you can do more of the chemistry end of biochemistry but the Durham course looks really good as well. I particularly like the Durham college system because it gives you the chance to be part of a smaller community and do societies within your college etc. I also like the idea of the tradition and gowned formals. I would prefer to be in a smaller city like Durham if I was just choosing on that but obviously Bristol isn't that big compared with other UK cities. Bristol is also quite a long way from where I live (near Edinburgh) so I would have to either fly down or go on the train for 6-7 hours whereas Durham only takes 1-2 hours by train. I've also heard that a lot of people choose to go to Bristol for the nightlife and I'm not really into clubbing, drinking etc. I'm not teetotal or anything but I'm just more into going to pubs or staying in and watching a film or something. I am very interested in joining societies and things though. Are there other things to do in Bristol if you're not into clubbing? Or will I be virtually the only one? Also, how safe would you say Bristol is as a city?

From what I've read it looks like Bristol has a better international reputation but Durham has a better reputation in the UK and is sometimes seen as more academic. If so, which do you think would be better for employment prospects?

Any opinions on which one I should choose or any other information about either would be really helpful. Thank you in advance.

I live in Bristol and it is an amazing city! Its not just the clubbing aspect (trust me I'm not massive on going out either) its the general atmosphere and there is so much to do! We've got Cabot Circus, German Market at Christmas, Clifton Village (fancy and lush!), the downs for summer picnics, shaun the sheep trail, loads of sports teams and musical bits and bobs, Park street... trust me you won't have an issue with any non-drinking activities.

Safety wise, as long as you don't walk across the downs (a big green area) at night you'll be fine. It is a city so never 100% safe but where you'll be staying as a student is a really nice area so you'll be fine :smile: I've walked home (45 minute walk) at 2am numerous times and been completely fine :wink: Durham is apparently more dangerous But I don't know that for certain!

However, I go to uni 2 hours away and its a flipping pain! So getting on a flight with all your stuff or a 7 hour train ride will be a compete pain... I love bristol but Durham would probably be more convenient and equally as good :wink:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Mushrooms
I live in Bristol and it is an amazing city! Its not just the clubbing aspect (trust me I'm not massive on going out either) its the general atmosphere and there is so much to do! We've got Cabot Circus, German Market at Christmas, Clifton Village (fancy and lush!), the downs for summer picnics, shaun the sheep trail, loads of sports teams and musical bits and bobs, Park street... trust me you won't have an issue with any non-drinking activities.

Safety wise, as long as you don't walk across the downs (a big green area) at night you'll be fine. It is a city so never 100% safe but where you'll be staying as a student is a really nice area so you'll be fine :smile: I've walked home (45 minute walk) at 2am numerous times and been completely fine :wink: Durham is apparently more dangerous But I don't know that for certain!

However, I go to uni 2 hours away and its a flipping pain! So getting on a flight with all your stuff or a 7 hour train ride will be a compete pain... I love bristol but Durham would probably be more convenient and equally as good :wink:

That's good, it sounds like there's a lot more to do than just clubbing then! I just got a bit worried because that's not really my kind of thing and I know a lot of people choose to go to Bristol specifically because of the nightlife. Thank you, that's helpful about the safety too! Again, I just was a bit worried about that because when you google it and look at articles and the complete university guide "How Safe is Your City?" it looks pretty unsafe and given I'm from Scotland and I've only been to Bristol for the pre and post application days I don't really have any personal experience to consider. What makes you think Durham is more dangerous? Aw, so do you commute then? Where do you go to uni? :smile:
Original post by Sapphire321
That's good, it sounds like there's a lot more to do than just clubbing then! I just got a bit worried because that's not really my kind of thing and I know a lot of people choose to go to Bristol specifically because of the nightlife. Thank you, that's helpful about the safety too! Again, I just was a bit worried about that because when you google it and look at articles and the complete university guide "How Safe is Your City?" it looks pretty unsafe and given I'm from Scotland and I've only been to Bristol for the pre and post application days I don't really have any personal experience to consider. What makes you think Durham is more dangerous? Aw, so do you commute then? Where do you go to uni? :smile:

No trust me finding something to do other than going out will not be an issue :wink: Maybe its because I've grown up here but I've been to more dangerous places and Bristol just doesn't compare to them! You can't go round flaunting your money (for example) but as long as you are sensible you'll be fine!

I've heard from friends who go there (and tbh on a brief visit I could see the lack of safeness but perhaps that was because I was looking for it) and just the centre and inner city was a bit... intimidating (but again I could be wrong!!!). I comment from Bristol to Oxford :P its a bit annoying tbh but has to be done :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending