The Student Room Group

AQA MS1B Wednesday 8th June 2016 Exam Discussion Thread

AQA Statistics 1B Exam Discussion June 2016
This thread will be for anyone taking the AQA Statistics 1B exam, with the purpose of this thread to share revision tips, resouces and provide general help with the MS1B paper.
Resources
AQA Past Papers: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/a-level/mathematics-6360/past-papers-and-mark-schemes
AQA Legacy Papers: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/a-level/mathematics-6360/past-papers-and-mark-schemes/older-past-papers-and-mark-schemes
ExamSolutions: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/AQA/period-1/specification.php
Good luck with the exam, any questions feel free to share them within this thread :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Thanks for making this thread OP! I've added it to the Exam Directory Thread which you can find here. Use that thread to find discussions on your other exam papers, and do let me know if you spot any that aren't on the list. Good luck with this exam! :h:
Reply 3
Original post by Dapperblook22
AQA Statistics 1B Exam Discussion June 2016
This thread will be for anyone taking the AQA Statistics 1B exam, with the purpose of this thread to share revision tips, resouces and provide general help with the MS1B paper.
Resources
AQA Past Papers: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/a-level/mathematics-6360/past-papers-and-mark-schemes
AQA Legacy Papers: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/a-level/mathematics-6360/past-papers-and-mark-schemes/older-past-papers-and-mark-schemes
ExamSolutions: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/AQA/period-1/specification.php
Good luck with the exam, any questions feel free to share them within this thread :smile:

thanks for the post. hopefully more people will use more of this thread. What are "hardest" topics.
I'm not too confident about this exam. Has anyone got any tips for normal distributions because I kinda just guess when i have to do 1 - the probability to get the answer. So if anyone could put like a list of the situations in which i need to do 1 - my answer then i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by mattyt307
I'm not too confident about this exam. Has anyone got any tips for normal distributions because I kinda just guess when i have to do 1 - the probability to get the answer. So if anyone could put like a list of the situations in which i need to do 1 - my answer then i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

You only usually have to do that if p(z<x) [where x is less than the population mean] as at that point you will be looking at the left side of the bell curve. The tables don't state these values therefore you have to think of it as the equivalent of p(z>-x) and go from there -> 1-p(z<-x)

Another instance could be if you're looking at a situation where you have p(z>x) [where x is greater than the population mean] as you will need to do 1-p(z<x) to get your value.
Original post by xs4
You only usually have to do that if p(z<x) [where x is less than the population mean] as at that point you will be looking at the left side of the bell curve. The tables don't state these values therefore you have to think of it as the equivalent of p(z>-x) and go from there -> 1-p(z<-x)

Another instance could be if you're looking at a situation where you have p(z>x) [where x is greater than the population mean] as you will need to do 1-p(z<x) to get your value.

That helps a lot, thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by mattyt307
That helps a lot, thank you!

No problem! feel free to pm me if you have any problems
Original post by xs4
No problem! feel free to pm me if you have any problems

Will do!
Reply 9
I hate this module so much
Reply 10
Original post by Berke0
I hate this module so much

secretly we all do but... who doesnt want that sweet as A on results day
Reply 11
Original post by Guls
secretly we all do but... who doesnt want that sweet as A on results day

We all do. Any tips how best to study this ?
Reply 12
Original post by Berke0
We all do. Any tips how best to study this ?

main tip exam papers. take time when doing questions.
if you feel you could be doing better in past papers then isolate your weak topic and practise on that through a series of notes, youtube videos and topic questions.
then return to past papers.

carry on the cycle.
Reply 13
With regards to confidence intervals, there's a question where it asks to comment on claims (given in question) but I always seem to get half the marks. How do I answer these sort of questions?
Original post by Nai18
With regards to confidence intervals, there's a question where it asks to comment on claims (given in question) but I always seem to get half the marks. How do I answer these sort of questions?

If you mean when it asks to make two comments, you make one comparing the value and the confidence interval (State specifically whether it's above or below). Then compare the value to the data you are given, or to the mean. And then say what it suggests. They can contradict each other.
(edited 7 years ago)
Opinions on the hardest MS1B paper? What have you guys come across?
Original post by RickyMaz
Opinions on the hardest MS1B paper? What have you guys come across?

The consensus in my class is that June 2013 is the most difficult, it may be different for different classes.
Original post by Guls
thanks for the post. hopefully more people will use more of this thread. What are "hardest" topics.

Sorry for late reply, I have been busy with revising for this exam :tongue:

I personally find probability to be quite nasty when it is not given in a table, as I sometimes mess up interpreting the textual descriptions (i.e. assuming events are independent rather than conditional/dependent) :s-smilie:
do we have to show working out for s1 ? or can you just show the answer ? becuase we have graphical calculators
Aiming for full ums in stats seeing as I won't get it in c1 or c2 lol
To give some people some hope, I knew zero stats before I spent a day making notes from the textbook.
I managed to get full UMS on the 2015 paper (dropped 4 marks) :redface: From then on I realised stats isn't too bad haha
I hate stats with a passion but its free marks if you know what to do.

Quick Reply