The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Notts or Newcastle for Comp Science???

Any ideas:smile:
Reply 1
I was in exactly the same position last year. I had offers from both UoN and Newcastle.
In the end I went with Nottingham and I haven't looked back, everything about the course and uni is excellent.

Happy to answer any questions you have about the course/uni. :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by JoshA22
I was in exactly the same position last year. I had offers from both UoN and Newcastle.
In the end I went with Nottingham and I haven't looked back, everything about the course and uni is excellent.

Happy to answer any questions you have about the course/uni. :smile:

Ahhh great, thank you.

This is for a mate. He has a tricky choice to make because of the maths content mainly.

At Newcastle they don't expect you to have an A level in maths as they basically teach you what you need to know, and the support for maths sounds tops.

At Notts the maths seems to be more of a requirement therefore what is the support for the maths content, do you see anyone struggling, if so what is the support?

Thanks for helping.
Reply 3
Original post by Racoon
Ahhh great, thank you.

This is for a mate. He has a tricky choice to make because of the maths content mainly.

At Newcastle they don't expect you to have an A level in maths as they basically teach you what you need to know, and the support for maths sounds tops.

At Notts the maths seems to be more of a requirement therefore what is the support for the maths content, do you see anyone struggling, if so what is the support?

Thanks for helping.

Not sure if the requirements have changed since I applied but neither uni required maths A level (which I only did at AS level).

At nots one of the first modules we did was 'Maths for comp scientists' which brings everyone up to speed with relevant maths such as sets, logic, matrices, functions etc. (a lot of content which was new to me)

I think with computer science its always handy to be reasonably good at maths but the support is there and they don't just assume you already know it.
Reply 4
Original post by JoshA22
Not sure if the requirements have changed since I applied but neither uni required maths A level (which I only did at AS level).

At nots one of the first modules we did was 'Maths for comp scientists' which brings everyone up to speed with relevant maths such as sets, logic, matrices, functions etc. (a lot of content which was new to me)

I think with computer science its always handy to be reasonably good at maths but the support is there and they don't just assume you already know it.

Brilliant. I'll pass that on. Cheers:smile:

Also, which halls did you stay in and where do most who are doing comp science live, or are they scattered across both sites. thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Racoon
Brilliant. I'll pass that on. Cheers:smile:

Also, which halls did you stay in and where do most who are doing comp science live, or are they scattered across both sites. thanks

I'm staying in Raleigh Park a 5 min walk from jubilee campus. A lot of computer science students stay there or at Nottingham 1. Unless they opted for catered in which case they are on the jubilee campus itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending