The Student Room Group

English literature and Psychology

Hi,
I' d love to study English (lit) and psychology as a combined honours at uni for 3yrs+ - the only option so far is Chester, although I'm interested in other unis e.g. Birmingham, Durham, Leeds, Nottingham etc but not sure if there is such a course available?
Is English and Psychology not a good course to choose or would anyone know where I could find out where I could take up both subjects?
I'm not sure about places that can do combined honours in those subjects as they're such different disciplines, but most universities give you an option to study modules outside your chosen subject which don't give you a combined honours but you can do the stuff you want. For example, doing an English degree but with a couple of psychology modules or vice versa. You'd only have the one degree but you'd still get to learn the other subject ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannahrob97
I'm not sure about places that can do combined honours in those subjects as they're such different disciplines, but most universities give you an option to study modules outside your chosen subject which don't give you a combined honours but you can do the stuff you want. For example, doing an English degree but with a couple of psychology modules or vice versa. You'd only have the one degree but you'd still get to learn the other subject ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thanks:smile:
would the option of other modules be on their websites?
Original post by Lauradanielle
Ah thanks:smile:
would the option of other modules be on their websites?

I'm not sure, it may be worthwhile you emailing the admissions departments of the universities you like and see what they say ☺️ hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lauradanielle
Hi,
I' d love to study English (lit) and psychology as a combined honours at uni for 3yrs+ - the only option so far is Chester, although I'm interested in other unis e.g. Birmingham, Durham, Leeds, Nottingham etc but not sure if there is such a course available?
Is English and Psychology not a good course to choose or would anyone know where I could find out where I could take up both subjects?

Type in English Literature or just English with Psychology into UCAS search and you will get some results.

The poster is almost right in terms of getting the opportunity to study a module outside your field at uni. However, this is only an opportunity given in the first year as first year modules/scores do not count towards your final degree classification.

So this means, you can't pick a psychology or German module in 2nd or 3rd year because it's not part of your degree programme which means it would not count. Some unis do allow you to have other degree modules if you pay for them. But most degree modules cost over £400...

If you love both subjects, you should apply for a joint honours. If not, at least a major/minor combination at best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending