The Student Room Group

Will there be a campaign group for UK to return to EU if the Brexit vote wins?

Should the unthinkable happen and Britain leaves the EU I'd strongly support any campaign group that demands a referendum on Britain's re-application for EU membership.
This could gain strength should there be an economic down turn and recession on leaving the EU.

After all the Scots have had a referendum on being in the UK which voted to stay in yet they want another, so I'd like to think that a second referendum on returning to the EU be allowed should we leave.
Reply 1
I think it would depend if Britain struggles economically after Brexit or not.

If the £ goes down against the Euro, if lots of firms leave or down size, if wages fall and unemployment rises, I expect there would be a demand to re-apply to join the EU.

Although I suspect the Leavers would say its all temporary and will get better or say the Remainders are sabotaging the economy to make leaving look bad.
Reply 2
I think it's pretty widely accepted in the short-run there would be economic instability, most people see it as inevitable. So a second referendum would only really have credibility if we're struggling economically in 5-10 years time, or the economy is seriously damaged in the short run. Although there's supposedly another recession coming soon (I don't know how true this is), but if it coincides with the first couple of years of leaving the EU there could well be pressure for a second referendum
Not that I think a Brexit will happen, but in this scenario, I'd say undoubtedly there would be a campaign to get us back in.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Should the unthinkable happen and Britain leaves the EU I'd strongly support any campaign group that demands a referendum on Britain's re-application for EU membership.
This could gain strength should there be an economic down turn and recession on leaving the EU.

After all the Scots have had a referendum on being in the UK which voted to stay in yet they want another, so I'd like to think that a second referendum on returning to the EU be allowed should we leave.

If you think that Brexit is 'unthinkable', I don't think you're looking at the whole situation properly. It is not unthinkable at all - in fact, I would say that both sides are equally probable at the moment, especially when you consider the so-called 'refugee crisis' and other issues surrounding Europe (e.g. Brussels recently, Calais migrants, then further back Greece) For some, the higher status of European law that encroaches on the principle of Parliamentary sovereignty is also an issue, but I don't think its as important of a factor.

On the other hand, as you say, the economic situation will clearly deteriorate, to what extent is unclear. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as it has been predicted if we do in fact leave. I think there is a lot of scaremongering from both sides so I would take everything with a pinch of salt.

Also, what makes you think the EU would let the UK back in if we left? If we leave a second referendum is incredibly unlikely tbh unless there will be overwhelming support (60 per cent or more of the populace) which is unlikely also.
Reply 5
Nope you only get one referendum. It's put up or shut up time.
The country won't vote out fear works better than hope, they have the establishment, way more money and the narrative of better the devil you know.

The worry for the in campaign is of it is close.

If it's 55/45 then they are going to have lots of trouble after if it's 35/65 then everything will carry on as before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
regardless if they will be that movement or not, there is also a question why would EU take such a trojan horse as UK back. and if they do- what would the conditions be?
Original post by RUCrazy
Nope you only get one referendum. It's put up or shut up time.

Incorrect. You can have as many refernedums as you want if their is public support. Whether the EU would let you back in is a different matter.
There would be, but they would be as big a joke as the OMRLP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
There would be, but they would be as big a joke as the OMRLP

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure that's what people thought about it when the UK was rejected by De Gaulle the first time around. Not to mention the fact the eurosceptic movement from early Ukip and the referendum movement started out as an obscure fringe sect.

If we did leave the EU (Which I doubt) I expect we'd return piecemeal over time.
Original post by Davij038
I'm sure that's what people thought about it when the UK was rejected by De Gaulle the first time around. Not to mention the fact the eurosceptic movement from early Ukip and the referendum movement started out as an obscure fringe sect.

If we did leave the EU (Which I doubt) I expect we'd return piecemeal over time.

Even though integration accelerates without us and our opt outs would mean nothing, we would not be able to rejoin without them. In another generation if the EU still exists it will be in a form we do not want to be a part of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In another generation if the EU still exists it will be in a form we do not want to be a part of.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Without us the EU would integrate faster certainly but I dont think that would necessarily preclude us from ever joining.

In another few generations, the largely eurosceptic old would be dying off and the educated young and successive generations would be far more willing to join the EU provided they thought they could benefit from it.

Providing a decent political movement and the eurosceptic utopia* doesn't plan out, i see no reason why they wouldn't. I could actually see a popular pro EU movement breaking out particularly if there is an unpopular and disastrous eurosceptic administration headed by Boris.

*All the benefits of trade minus any of the 'negative' consequences
Original post by Davij038
Without us the EU would integrate faster certainly but I dont think that would necessarily preclude us from ever joining.

In another few generations, the largely eurosceptic old would be dying off and the educated young and successive generations would be far more willing to join the EU provided they thought they could benefit from it.

Providing a decent political movement and the eurosceptic utopia* doesn't plan out, i see no reason why they wouldn't. I could actually see a popular pro EU movement breaking out particularly if there is an unpopular and disastrous eurosceptic administration headed by Boris.

*All the benefits of trade minus any of the 'negative' consequences

What has to be remembered is that the educated youth would be growing up in a world without the EU, they would look back and see the effects of leaving a system where we had a better deal than we possibly could have rejoining and make the reasoned decision "maybe we're better off without that", further, given that we are on the road to leaving in a system that is more in line with British views, young and old, than we would be rejoining, even if we immediately rejoined and not after decades of further integration, what exactly makes you believe that a worse deal will will get us back in? That would be like you leaving my employment because I only paid you £10 per hour, but then agreeing to come back on minimum wage.
What has to be remembered is that the educated youth would be growing up in a world without the EU, they would look back and see the effects of leaving a system where we had a better deal than we possibly could have rejoining and make the reasoned decision "maybe we're better off without that", further, given that we are on the road to leaving in a system that is more in line with British views, young and old, than we would be rejoining, even if we immediately rejoined and not after decades of further integration, what exactly makes you believe that a worse deal will will get us back in?

Depends if you're looking at purely economic considerations or not. The EU won the support of the majority of the left (and the enmity of some right wingers) by supporting giving british workers greater protections. Additionally, the fortunes of the UK (Inside or outside) could worsen with the rise of brazil, india et al.

That would be like you leaving my employment because I only paid you £10 per hour, but then agreeing to come back on minimum wage.

If I was leaving my job expecting to get a better job elsewhere, which turned out to be a lot worse then quite possibly. Obviously it would mean swallowing my pride somewhat but I could explain myself as being misled by the other jobs advertising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending