The Student Room Group

Starting a TSR mental health blog (multiple contributors) - anyone interested?!?!

Hey all :hi: The wise old sage that is TLG is BACK, mwahahahahaha :ahee: :shakecane: :banana:

I have seen suggestions floating around the place, that it might be good to have a mental health blog on TSR in the Blogs subforum. Currently, to my knowledge, whilst certain users (e.g. Ethereal World) have talked about mental health on their blogs, there is no blog solely dedicated for discussing JUST mental health issues.

This blog I am proposing would be different to most of the other blogs on here, in that it would have multiple contributors! We are all different ages and from different walks of life, with different diagnoses and at different stages of mental ill health and/or recovery. The idea is that through multiple people contributing, we could really give a clearer and more indepth picture as to what suffering from a mental health problem is like and a snapshot into what it looks/feels like. It would hopefully be thought-provoking and help us to educate one another :smile:

Blog posts should of course be vetted for content, so that people are not posting triggering material all over TSR mid-crisis/episode. They would come with trigger warnings before the post, so that people are alerted to any potentially triggering topics/content. Currently I am proposing that all blog posts come via me, though am happy for them to go through CT or another vaguely stable/sensible TSR user, if that is preferable.

What do people think?

a) Is this something that would be of interest to TSR?

b) Is this something people would feel willing/able to contribute to? (Please indicate by posting below!) Otherwise it would just be me talking to myself again :erm:

c) Is this something that is viable and would be safe to do on TSR?

All thoughts welcome below :h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
a) I think this is a brilliant idea.

b) I would love to contribute, if you'll have me.

c) I think it would be safe ( hopefully) It's something you just have to do and see how it goes.

I'm schizophrenic and would love to share some of the stuff I go through with people if they want to read it.
I should have also mentioned that, if it goes through me (or CT or someone else), there is of course the option of the post remaining anonymous - you would not have to have your username tied to it :nah:
Original post by Thomb
a) I think this is a brilliant idea.

b) I would love to contribute, if you'll have me.

c) I think it would be safe ( hopefully) It's something you just have to do and see how it goes.

I'm schizophrenic and would love to share some of the stuff I go through with people if they want to read it.

Thanks for the enthusiasm! Let's see who else wants to get on board :biggrin:
I was diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder recently which may be of interest. But in general yes I find this an interesting area and so somewhere to read about people's perspectives would be welcome.
I can talk about my past experience with anxiety and depression

Should there be some sort of format?
I think this is a great idea :smile:I wouldn't mind contributing. I have ocd and I wouldn't mind sharing my experiences if people are interested
Reply 7
Actually someone has attempted this before
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3960485

I remember seeing this thread a while back ^ and it was speaking of MH issues, and that post was focusing more on suicide and the journey but it wasn't triggering and it wasn't upsetting or anything, it was positive and it was something I was actually looking forward to watching it grow

It passed moderation but for some reason the OP was later taken down?
Evidently this stuff ain't safe for TSR then, if someone was opening up and trying to help people on here and their blog gets randomly shut down

So if this gets restricted like that other blog was, and people aren't allowed to speak about their negative feelings/ issues in a positive light, then I don't really see what benefit this thread would be either to the readers and the writers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
I think this is a great idea :smile:I wouldn't mind contributing. I have ocd and I wouldn't mind sharing my experiences if people are interested

Can I just ask everyone who's posted so far because they all seem like intelligent people: How do you remain motivated at university/work? I ask because I'm so flat (lazy) that I get nothing done. I swing from feeling really positive and thinking that I could do so much, down to feeling really negative and think that I could not get anything done.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by z33
Actually someone has attempted this before
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3960485

I remember seeing this thread a while back ^ and it was speaking of MH issues, and that post was focusing more on suicide and the journey but it wasn't triggering and it wasn't upsetting or anything, it was positive and it was something I was actually looking forward to watching it grow

It passed moderation but for some reason the OP was later taken down?
Evidently this stuff ain't safe for TSR then, if someone was opening up and trying to help people on here and their blog gets randomly shut down

So if this gets restricted like that other blog was, and people aren't allowed to speak about their negative feelings/ issues in a positive light, then I don't really see what benefit this thread would be either to the readers and the writers.

Ahhhh I forgot about that one, my bad :redface: I did read the OP of that blog, I think and if it's the one I read, I was a bit like :erm: , ngl.

But this is a very valid point. Maybe the mods/CT can advise further about this :beard:
Original post by Mathstatician
I was diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder recently which may be of interest. But in general yes I find this an interesting area and so somewhere to read about people's perspectives would be welcome.

Thanks for writing - good to hear you might be interested in writing :smile:

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I can talk about my past experience with anxiety and depression

Should there be some sort of format?

Probs should be a format if it goes ahead :yes:

Original post by Anonymous

Thanks very much for writing! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I support this, of course.
Reply 12
As no CT has replied yet so I don't know If this will happen or not. but

I would love to read other peoples experiences of having mental health conditions.

I would also love to post in this too. I'm currently somewhere in the middle of getting either diagnosed with something or some kind of formal metal health support which may or may not include medication (I don't know yet, GP trying to refer me to CMHT but they don't seem to be getting the letters. It's complicated.) If this happens and I get to contribute I will explain more. and then continue to write about the journey going through any attempts to get support or getting any diagnosis I may end up with.
Original post by Thomb
Can I just ask everyone who's posted so far because they all seem like intelligent people: How do you remain motivated at university/work? I ask because I'm so flat (lazy) that I get nothing done. I swing from feeling really positive and thinking that I could do so much, down to feeling really negative and think that I could not get anything done.

Jumping through hoops at Oxford every week during term time means I can only work to imminent deadlines. I told my PhD supervisor this and so we try to give my PhD some structure and some deadlines that are earlier than Sept 2021 :teehee:

That said, if I'm in a severe depressive episode, we just leave it and wait for it to pass, coz there's no point flogging a dead horse :nah:
Original post by ByronicHero
I support this, of course.

:awesome:

Original post by dipka
As no CT has replied yet so I don't know If this will happen or not. but

I would love to read other peoples experiences of having mental health conditions.

I would also love to post in this too. I'm currently somewhere in the middle of getting either diagnosed with something or some kind of formal metal health support which may or may not include medication (I don't know yet, GP trying to refer me to CMHT but they don't seem to be getting the letters. It's complicated.) If this happens and I get to contribute I will explain more. and then continue to write about the journey going through any attempts to get support or getting any diagnosis I may end up with.

Thanks for writing. Hope you get all the support you need :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Ahhhh I forgot about that one, my bad :redface: I did read the OP of that blog, I think and if it's the one I read, I was a bit like :erm: , ngl.

But this is a very valid point. Maybe the mods/CT can advise further about this :beard:

what do you mean by " I was a bit like :erm: , ngl." like did it make you uncomfortable? idk seemed alright to me :tongue:

yup :yes:
I'd love to contribute and think its a very good idea for a blog :smile:

I could talk about my own experiences with panic attacks, OCD, CPTSD and agoraphobia and also the therapy I've had for everything and hopefully that would maybe help others and to also educate as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
I think this would be ok to do as long as stuff was vetted, appropriate things spoilered and edited. I would love to contribute myself.
Original post by z33
what do you mean by " I was a bit like :erm: , ngl." like did it make you uncomfortable? idk seemed alright to me :tongue:

yup :yes:

Yeah I dunno, probs just the wrong time of year for me to be reading such blohs tbh :getmecoat:

Original post by Spock's Socks
I'd love to contribute and think its a very good idea for a blog :smile:

I could talk about my own experiences with panic attacks, OCD, CPTSD and agoraphobia and also the therapy I've had for everything and hopefully that would maybe help others and to also educate as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks hun, great to know you are on board :h:

Original post by Airmed
I think this would be ok to do as long as stuff was vetted, appropriate things spoilered and edited. I would love to contribute myself.

Would CT/mods wanna do that/see every post before it goes live? :smile: Glad yoi think it might be ok to do :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I think that whenever I make a typo someone or some people are controlling me and that the typo is a secret message to me. I hear voices and they tell me to stop doing things, I suspect they would rather I do nothing. I am reclusive and have spent almost all of my day on TSR. My room is a mess the washing up hasn't been done.
I'm what is termed flat that in layman terms is lazy. I suffer from grandiose delusions, the last one I had was that I could become an architect and design a city. I swing mood wise from manic thoughts that keep me awake at night to severe lows where my body aches and I feel like my whole life is pointless.
I have two essays that need to be in on the 31st and I haven't even started reading yet let alone get pen to paper. I really need to get my life together. Any suggestions?

@Arketec & @N-R-G are my other personas.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest