The Student Room Group

Ask an Oxford Uni student anything

Hi all! I'm really bored and was wondering if anyone has any qs about studying at Oxford/applications/interviews/requirements etc as I'd be happy to help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you take???
Original post by diana1996
Hi all! I'm really bored and was wondering if anyone has any qs about studying at Oxford/applications/interviews/requirements etc as I'd be happy to help!

How does it feel to have lost the boat race to cambridge?
Reply 3
Original post by CJKAllstar
What do you take???

I study Law
Reply 4
Original post by tazza ma razza
How does it feel to have lost the boat race to cambridge?

Tbh I think Cambridge deserved to win after 4 years! and dont forget the Oxford Women won their race!
Reply 5
I study Law

What is the likelihood of getting into oxford postgraduate course with out a levels but with a good degree say like a high 2:1?
Reply 6
Original post by Thomb
What is the likelihood of getting into oxford postgraduate course with out a levels but with a good degree say like a high 2:1?

is this for law postgrad? what is your undergrad in and are there reasons you dont have a levels (e.g. international student etc.) will help me give you a more thought out answer
Reply 7
Sorry for the ridiculous amount of questions :biggrin:, going to Oxford is a dream of mine so I wouldn't pass up on finding out as much as I can! You don't have to answer every question lol, if any, the last 3.
1. Did you feel "Oxbridge material" early on? Did you ever have any certainty you'd get in, or the opposite?
2. How much extra reading did you do around your subject?
3. How much did you do in terms of work experience?
4. What were your GCSE and A Level grades?
5. Did any of your other unis not offer you a place?
6. Did you feel the interviews went well afterwards?
7. Were you regarded as being top of your year?
8. Why do you think you got into Oxford over people applying for law?
9. What steps did you take in order to improve your chances at getting into Oxford? I.e. extra tuition for LNAT, or etc.
10. What single piece of advice could you give an Oxford hopeful about to start A Levels in September?
Reply 8
is this for law postgrad? what is your undergrad in and are there reasons you dont have a levels (e.g. international student etc.) will help me give you a more thought out answer

I would like to do the post grad cert in architectural history at oxford and didn't do A levels. I'm doing the Cert HE at oxford and hope to get a good degree. So if I did get a good degree would not having any A levels look bad on my application?

Thank you for taking the time out to answer peoples questions.

If you're really bored and have the time you can read my blog http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3968961
(edited 8 years ago)
1) What were your A-Level subjects?
2) What advice would you have to prepare for the interview/personal statement/how to stand out?
3) Do you have any tips for A-Level revision?- I'm currently drowning in revision praying that I get four As this summer!

Thank you
Reply 10
Don't worry at all! Happy to help in any way possible!

Original post by CJKAllstar
Sorry for the ridiculous amount of questions :biggrin:, going to Oxford is a dream of mine so I wouldn't pass up on finding out as much as I can! You don't have to answer every question lol, if any, the last 3.
1. Did you feel "Oxbridge material" early on? Did you ever have any certainty you'd get in, or the opposite?

Tbh I went to a school with a strong history of sending people to Oxbridge so it was kinda drilled into me that I'd apply but I certainly didnt feel very early on it was the place for me it was more following teachers' advice and my GCSE results that pushed me to apply. Going to open days also made me fall in love with it and I dreamt of walking along those cobbles.

2. How much extra reading did you do around your subject?

Not too much! I read maybe 2 or 3 books and went to a Summer School but for Law they really dont look for much extra knowledge. This would be different of course for other subjects (especially humanities.)

3. How much did you do in terms of work experience?

Very little. I had very little legal work experience and more evinced my interest through referencing particular legal debates (e.g. right to die) and an essay I had written in the Summer.

4. What were your GCSE and A Level grades?

11 A*s at GCSE, 3A*s at A level

5. Did any of your other unis not offer you a place?

I received offers from all my places (Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Manchester, Surrey)

6. Did you feel the interviews went well afterwards?

NO!! I was late to one and the other one I just felt he was really looking for something that I just wasnt getting but having spoken to other interviewees I would say the harder they push you the better your interview is.

7. Were you regarded as being top of your year?

No I was maybe top third (but I went to a very academic school so had to have exceptional grades considering, therefore dont worry they will always look at contextual factors.)

8. Why do you think you got into Oxford over people applying for law?

I have absolutely no idea. I had solid GCSEs but was disappointed with my AS levels (AAAB) and LNAT score (24) so I have no idea why they gave me a place. Interview is very important. They appreciate you taking your time to think properly (I asked them for a moment to think and to stare out the window several times) Just be nice and articulate -ultimately this is about whether the tutor wants to teach you one on one for 3 years. Dont ramble and keep calm.

9. What steps did you take in order to improve your chances at getting into Oxford? I.e. extra tuition for LNAT, or etc.

I used Mark Shepherds book for LNAT and my results varied from 30 to low 20s. The essay is very important! Practice that! and keep up to date with current affairs. Look at legal judgements to see how they are set out.

10. What single piece of advice could you give an Oxford hopeful about to start A Levels in September?

Consistently work hard for your academics as this is the key benchmark Oxford work at. There's no magic formula for getting in but solid grades should hopefully get you an interview and the rest is down to personality and luck!

hope this helps!
Reply 11
Original post by Emilypickett
1) What were your A-Level subjects?
2) What advice would you have to prepare for the interview/personal statement/how to stand out?
3) Do you have any tips for A-Level revision?- I'm currently drowning in revision praying that I get four As this summer!

Thank you

1) English, History, Geography
2) PS: keep it snappy : why you, why the subject then evidence for your interest and elaborate on a particular thing you are interested in so they can pick up on that in interview. Minimal time on extra-curric. I mentioned 50 shades of grey in my PS and they seemed to like it!
Interview: be yourself! its so cliche! but really just stay calm and dont overthink things they will help you, they will push you so dont be afraid to ask them to clarify things etc
no idea how to stand out Im sorry :frown:
3) if youre doing essay subjects then plan past essays on an a4 page with key quotes/dates etc as these can be easily recycled. I like to hand write summaries/time lines as concise notes are all you really need in these subjects.

hope this helps x
Reply 12
Original post by Thomb
I would like to do the post grad cert in architectural history at oxford and didn't do A levels. I'm doing the Cert HE at oxford and hope to get a good degree. So if I did get a good degree would not having any A levels look bad on my application?

If you're really bored and have the time you can read my blog http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3968961

having read your story I dont think the lack of A levels would significantly harm your application as long as you secure your high 2.1 and academic references. Best of luck!
Reply 13
If you're still bored why do you think the mentally ill are less likely to get into Oxford than people with other disabilities?@diana1996
Original post by Thomb
If you're still bored why do you think the mentally ill are less likely to get into Oxford than people with other disabilities?@diana1996

Plenty of people I know at Ox have mental illnesses. They're just less likely to have them formally diagnosed, and furthermore declare their issues with the university. I have an anxiety disorder but I haven't told the university, for example.
Reply 15
Original post by colourtheory
Plenty of people I know at Ox have mental illnesses. They're just less likely to have them formally diagnosed, and furthermore declare their issues with the university. I have an anxiety disorder but I haven't told the university, for example.

Yes but the stats I saw say that people who declare a mental illness are less likely to get a place.
Original post by Thomb
Yes but the stats I saw say that people who declare a mental illness are less likely to get a place.

What statistics? The sample sizes are pretty small so they're prone to fluctuations. The success rate for people with mental health problems in 2011 was 21.9%, in 2012 it was 10.5%. Overall, the percentages look pretty similar to the overall admissions statistics to me.
Reply 17
Original post by Plagioclase
What statistics? The sample sizes are pretty small so they're prone to fluctuations. The success rate for people with mental health problems in 2011 was 21.9%, in 2012 it was 10.5%. Overall, the percentages look pretty similar to the overall admissions statistics to me.

Sorry I looked for the stats but can't find them. All I can remember was people with a mental illness were less likely to get a place than anyone else. I just wondered why that might be?
Original post by Thomb
Sorry I looked for the stats but can't find them. All I can remember was people with a mental illness were less likely to get a place than anyone else. I just wondered why that might be?

I found this and this. I mean yes, in general the percentages do seem a little low but 1) the sample size is very small and 2) differences generally are not huge, bearing in mind even for people with no disability, the overall admissions percentage is only about 20%. The percentages for mental health look a little on the low side, it's pretty hard to show that it's because of some kind of institutional bias though. There are lots of potential reasons.
Reply 19
Original post by Plagioclase
I found this and this. I mean yes, in general the percentages do seem a little low but 1) the sample size is very small and 2) differences generally are not huge, bearing in mind even for people with no disability, the overall admissions percentage is only about 20%. The percentages for mental health look a little on the low side, it's pretty hard to show that it's because of some kind of institutional bias though. There are lots of potential reasons.

10.5% acceptance rate that's the second lowest on the list. I just wonder why that is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending