The Student Room Group

Ask an Oxford Uni student anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by diana1996
we had (and still have) 3 essays every 2 weeks (aka one week we have one essay due, the next we have two.) 1500-2000 words each

So an essay in two and a half days is no problem?
Reply 41
Original post by oli19919
What's a good number of A*s if I want to read law at Oxford? Any interview tips? Thanks!

I think generally they would like 8*s (or thats the average of a successful candidate) but they will look at contextual factors too so if its lower then dont worry too much. For interview tips please scroll up a bit in the thread as I think I might have answered this x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by eema
Hey, I'm in L6 at the moment and law at oxford was something i've really been considering.I'd really appreciate it if you could answer some of my questions:
1) how important would you say extracurricular activities are for personal statements, ucas application and interviews?

unimportant for Oxford. They are solely concerned with academics. They didnt ask me anything about it in my interview. (unless you do soemthing very impressive ofc)

2) do they want to see that you've done lots of reading around law and work experience etc? I haven't had any work experience especially in a law setting - do you think that will be a disadvantage for me?

They want you to show a genuine interest in the subject but know how hard legal work experience is to get so really do try to read around the subject and keep up to date with any legal debates going on. But the interview itself isnt really concerned with your PS (at least mine wasnt) it was more a problem solving interview.

3) what sort of things did you write about in your personal statement?

why law, why me, evidence of my interest, elaborate on how my A levels link in to my urge to study law

4) do you have any tips/advice for applying to oxford regarding the application process, interview, lnat etc
the interview is the most important bit to focus on but the hardest to prepare for (annoying answer i know.) Lnat is about reaching a benchmark score, then they only really care about the essay so focus on writing a strong one. tailor your ps slightly to oxford e.g. highlight something that interests you in the hope they could ask you about it in interview.

Thanks, any answers are greatly appreciated!

Good luck!!
Reply 42
Original post by Thomb
So an essay in two and a half days is no problem?

Well it is doable but preferably you spend longer because reading for the essay will usually take at least 2-3 days alone and thats before youve planned and written the essay
Reply 43
I've got to do it in that time and have spent the rest on TSR its ok I'm quite knowledgable about the subject anyway just need to read all day inspiration mostly. Then I'll rip an essay off in a couple of hours. Spend the rest of the day editing and send it off the next morning. No problem.
Do you think going to Oxford is a huge advantage when applying for training contracts, in comparison to going to a Bristol/Warwick/KCL?

I want to do law but all lawyers who I speak to say it's too competitive, even if I go to a RG!
Hi um my dad wants me to take law and get into Oxford and all that but I'm not really interested in law, but I dotj exactly know what it's really about anyway so I'm not sure? maybe you could tell me bout it? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending