The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Computer Science Application

Last year I did AS in Maths, Further Maths, ICT and Computing but I did really badly so I ended up getting

E in Maths
E in ICT
E in Computing
U in Further Maths

My college told me that I could not continue with A Levels because my results were so bad so they offered me BTEC National Extended Diploma in IT where I am now predicted to get D*D*D*

So would I be eligible for the Computer Science degree with a year in the industry if I will get D*D*D* in BTEC National Extended Diploma in IT and I already have A in GCSE Maths. What effect my AS grades make when submitting my application?
Original post by Prog123
Last year I did AS in Maths, Further Maths, ICT and Computing but I did really badly so I ended up getting

E in Maths
E in ICT
E in Computing
U in Further Maths

My college told me that I could not continue with A Levels because my results were so bad so they offered me BTEC National Extended Diploma in IT where I am now predicted to get D*D*D*

So would I be eligible for the Computer Science degree with a year in the industry if I will get D*D*D* in BTEC National Extended Diploma in IT and I already have A in GCSE Maths. What effect my AS grades make when submitting my application?

Hi there!

I'm a first year Computer Science student here at Bath.

We welcome applications from students studying BTEC Level 3 Extended Diplomas in mathematical or computing related subjects. We prefer applicants to have also studied AS or A Level Mathematics alongside this qualification and encourage students to take this route if it is available to them. Applicants who are not studying AS or A Level Maths must have achieved a grade A in GCSE Mathematics and may be invited to attend an interview.

BTEC Level 3 Diplomas and Subsidiary Diplomas are welcome when offered in combination with A Levels, which must include A Level Mathematics.

Typical offer:

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: D*DD in a mathematical or computing related subject plus grade A in AS Mathematics

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: D*D*D* in a mathematical or computing related subject

Essential:

Grade A in GCSE Mathematics (if not offered at AS or A Level)

Grade C in GCSE English Language or equivalent

This is taken from the website. Note, however, that they say "typical offer". To me, this means that most successful applicants will be achieving these grades. I had a similar case stated for my course, however some people were accepted with equivalent.

For further clarification, I recommend you get in touch with the admissions team on +44 (0)1225 383019 or [email protected].

Hope this helps!

Chris
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Hi, i got D*D*D* and am in my second year of Computer Science at Royal Holloway

With BTEC IT you have loads of options for Computer Science, however generally top 10-15 unis will want to see Maths alongside your BTEC

These are the best (in my opinion) unis you can get into with the BTEC for either Computer Science, IT, Software Dev or Computing/IT as labelled

UCL - ITMB - DDD
Bath - CS - D*D*D*
Surrey - C/IT - DDD
Manchester - ITMB - D*DD
KCL - CS - DDD
QMUL - CS - DDD
Nottingham - CS - DDD
RHUL - CS - DDD
Southampton - ITO- DDD
Cardiff - CS - D*D*D*

If you are able to retake A level Maths and do well you could apply to:

Oxford - CS - DDD+A*
Southampton - CS - DDM+A
Manchester - CS
Durham - CS - DDD+A
Durham - SDB - DDD+A
Surrey - SDB - DDD+A
Surrey - CS - DDD+A

Hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by yt7777
Hi, i got D*D*D* and am in my second year of Computer Science at Royal Holloway

With BTEC IT you have loads of options for Computer Science, however generally top 10-15 unis will want to see Maths alongside your BTEC

These are the best (in my opinion) unis you can get into with the BTEC for either Computer Science, IT, Software Dev or Computing/IT as labelled

UCL - ITMB - DDD
Bath - CS - D*D*D*
Surrey - C/IT - DDD
Manchester - ITMB - D*DD
KCL - CS - DDD
QMUL - CS - DDD
Nottingham - CS - DDD
RHUL - CS - DDD
Southampton - ITO- DDD
Cardiff - CS - D*D*D*

If you are able to retake A level Maths and do well you could apply to:

Oxford - CS - DDD+A*
Southampton - CS - DDM+A
Manchester - CS
Durham - CS - DDD+A
Durham - SDB - DDD+A
Surrey - SDB - DDD+A
Surrey - CS - DDD+A

Hope this helps

Thanks it helps a lot

Do you think some universities such as bath would reject me because I have failed my AS's and now retaking the first year of Level 3 qualification?
Reply 4
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi there!

I'm a first year Computer Science student here at Bath.

We welcome applications from students studying BTEC Level 3 Extended Diplomas in mathematical or computing related subjects. We prefer applicants to have also studied AS or A Level Mathematics alongside this qualification and encourage students to take this route if it is available to them. Applicants who are not studying AS or A Level Maths must have achieved a grade A in GCSE Mathematics and may be invited to attend an interview.

BTEC Level 3 Diplomas and Subsidiary Diplomas are welcome when offered in combination with A Levels, which must include A Level Mathematics.

Typical offer:

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: D*DD in a mathematical or computing related subject plus grade A in AS Mathematics

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: D*D*D* in a mathematical or computing related subject

Essential:

Grade A in GCSE Mathematics (if not offered at AS or A Level)

Grade C in GCSE English Language or equivalent

This is taken from the website. Note, however, that they say "typical offer". To me, this means that most successful applicants will be achieving these grades. I had a similar case stated for my course, however some people were accepted with equivalent.

For further clarification, I recommend you get in touch with the admissions team on +44 (0)1225 383019 or [email protected].

Hope this helps!

Chris

Can you tell me how much programming have you done throughout the course and what programming language are you using?Also, how much maths is involved and does the first year focuses more on maths or programming.
Reply 5
Original post by Prog123
Thanks it helps a lot

Do you think some universities such as bath would reject me because I have failed my AS's and now retaking the first year of Level 3 qualification?

Most likely wont be a problem

as long as you are predicted the minimum requirements and have a decent PS and reference you should be fine
Reply 6
Original post by yt7777
Most likely wont be a problem

as long as you are predicted the minimum requirements and have a decent PS and reference you should be fine

Thanks a lot
Reply 7
Original post by Prog123
Thanks a lot

No worries, give me a shout if you need to know anything else
Reply 8
Original post by Prog123
Can you tell me how much programming have you done throughout the course and what programming language are you using?Also, how much maths is involved and does the first year focuses more on maths or programming.

Look on the website, they list the modules for each year

http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/computer-science/detail/
Original post by Prog123

Hi there!

I've certainly enjoyed it so far. It's been much more varied than I had anticipated, which is a bonus. I did Computing A level which was what sparked my interest in the subject and so far it has consisted of some extension of A level knowledge, as well as new content. We are predominantly using Java at the moment. We did a bit of C to start off with at the beginning of last semester and will go onto do a bit more of C in a couple of weeks' time, however the majority of the year focuses on Java.

I can comment on some of the modules I've done/am doing at the moment:

Spoiler

You can find out more here: http://www.bath.ac.uk/catalogues/201...oglist-ug.html

There is coursework of some kind in every unit ranging from programming tasks to essays to group projects. I like the variety.

I found the first maths unit (CM10196) quite abstract and difficult to understand the later content at first but got the hang of it soon enough! CM10251 is a year long module and was interesting to discover the different methods of designing software. Personally, the programming modules have been most interesting as they have introduced us to C and Java development in quite a head-first practical way which has meant people are all at more or less the same level by Christmas.

Programming only forms 2 of the 7 modules we take this year so there isn't an abundance of it - however what we learn in some modules does overlap to an extent with programming knowledge. Particularly, at the moment we are working on a group project in the CM10251 module which requires group programming using GitHub, which is interesting and an example of that knowledge being applied in other modules.

Out of maths and programming, I'd say the first year does involve 'more' programming than maths, as it is a double unit. Also, what is learnt in programming is continually built-upon, whereas I find that is not the case for maths so far.

Hope this helps!

Chris
Reply 10
Original post by kudagee
Yes i got offered a place at bath with D*D*D*

Did they wanted A Level maths grade A from you or they were happy with your GCSE Maths. Also did you had to take some maths test?

Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by kudagee
No just Gcse maths at A, no test or interview

What was your predicted grade and what did u get in your first year???
Original post by kudagee
Yes i got offered a place at bath with D*D*D*

Original post by Prog123
What was your predicted grade and what did u get in your first year???

Congratulations to you both!

I'm a first year Computer Science student at Bath, so if you have any questions about the course, do let me know!

Generally, people who haven't done A level maths initially take a MASH course (Maths and Statistics Help) to ensure they are up to scratch with the basic maths required on the course.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Quick Reply

Latest