The Student Room Group

Money for Rent

I'm in my 1st year and as you know, Oxf has been named the most expensive city to live in so living there is a bit risky.

Anyway, I've signed a house for 2nd year and I'm paying a relatively low price. However, it's a 12 month contract and I'm starting to worry about the 4 months I won't be living there.

I just don't know what to do. Of course I'll be looking for a job this summer and hopefully when it get's to 2nd year I will find a job down in Oxford that I will like.

Can anyone advise me on how to not stress about this/any other ways to see if I can get some support (excluding family)?
You should have written out a full yearly budget before signing for anything so you would have known if you could afford it or not.

If it comes down to it and you don't have enough money or a job you will either have to; use overdraft, hardship fund or borrow from uni or borrow from friends or family. Only other option is a commercial loan, but that will royally **** you over.
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I'm in my 1st year and as you know, Oxf has been named the most expensive city to live in so living there is a bit risky.

Anyway, I've signed a house for 2nd year and I'm paying a relatively low price. However, it's a 12 month contract and I'm starting to worry about the 4 months I won't be living there.

I just don't know what to do. Of course I'll be looking for a job this summer and hopefully when it get's to 2nd year I will find a job down in Oxford that I will like.

Can anyone advise me on how to not stress about this/any other ways to see if I can get some support (excluding family)?

Do you have a student bank account? If so, how will your overdraft look by that point? Most students will use the free overdraft facility to tide them over this sort of situation.
Original post by SophieSmall
You should have written out a full yearly budget before signing for anything so you would have known if you could afford it or not.

If it comes down to it and you don't have enough money or a job you will either have to; use overdraft, hardship fund or borrow from uni or borrow from friends or family. Only other option is a commercial loan, but that will royally **** you over.

I cant afford anything in oxford. So dont come at me with some bs budget crap.
Original post by Klix88
Do you have a student bank account? If so, how will your overdraft look by that point? Most students will use the free overdraft facility to tide them over this sort of situation.

I dont have an overdraft aftee it ****ed me up last year, I really dont think I would get another one.

If I can secure a job I might be alright. I have a tutoring job atm but that just doesn't cover a normal job.
I dont have an overdraft aftee it ****ed me up last year, I really dont think I would get another one.

If I can secure a job I might be alright. I have a tutoring job atm but that just doesn't cover a normal job.

You need some sort of alternative finance so you can cover the rent even if you dont get a job, then you can stop worrying. the alternative os to work as hard as possible to secure a job now.
Original post by 999tigger
You need some sort of alternative finance so you can cover the rent even if you dont get a job, then you can stop worrying. the alternative os to work as hard as possible to secure a job now.

Yeah i will apply for a hardship fund and see what happens. But i need almost a grand. :/
Reply 7

It should be available as an automatic facility on a student account, so it's worth double-checking, even if you did run into trouble. If it's the difference between paying the rent or having court action and/or the bailiffs arrive, then I'd suggest that you keep it in mind as an option. If you have the self-discipline to work, then you have the self-discipline to manage an overdraft.

I wouldn't rely on the idea of getting a job in Oxford. Whilst it's a tourist town and there may be more jobs over the summer, it's still a relatively small city with a lot of students chasing what's available. I know - I once spent ten months job-hunting for shop and restaurant work there. It might not be an attractive idea, but does your college take on extra cleaning/catering/bar staff to cope with summer conference business? It might be worth looking into, especially if students are given preference or see the job ads first.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
It should be available as an automatic facility on a student account, so it's worth double-checking, even if you did run into trouble. If it's the difference between paying the rent or having court action and/or the bailiffs arrive, then I'd suggest that you keep it in mind as an option. If you have the self-discipline to work, then you have the self-discipline to manage an overdraft.

I wouldn't rely on the idea of getting a job in Oxford. Whilst it's a tourist town and there may be more jobs over the summer, it's still a relatively small city with a lot of students chasing what's available. I know - I once spent ten months job-hunting for shop and restaurant work there. It might not be an attractive idea, but does your college take on extra cleaning/catering/bar staff to cope with summer conference business? It might be worth looking into, especially if students are given preference or see the job ads first.

I do not have a student back account. Just a currents account. Yeah, I think I will have to keep it as an option. But I had one last year and HSBC were horrible. But that's another story. Yeah I plan to budget next semester anyway.

Yeah, exactly which is why it's annoying. I do live in the Midlands, so it'd be way easier to get a job over the summer. I hope to get one very soon. I will be applying for jobs as soon as I finish exams.

I'm not too sure. But they do have a few job hirings but I've worked in an unhappy job before and I can't go through with doing that again. As I have depression, so I tend to avoid anything that will really cause a depressed episode. I almost had one when I was working, but I quit and sought help and was much better. I just don't get how people can just work and not enjoy it. It's a horrible feeling.
Reply 9
Rent Boy
Yeah i will apply for a hardship fund and see what happens. But i need almost a grand. :/

Why havent you applied already? Did you apply last year? Surely your priority this summer is a job to save?
Original post by 999tigger
Why havent you applied already? Did you apply last year? Surely your priority this summer is a job to save?

Because I'm not financially unstable yet. I need money for my 1st month's rent for my house in Sept. That's what I need the money for as I will hardly have money left over from student finance cause the accom is through the roof.

Yeah, I will apply for summer jobs and just save really. I just need a summer job.
maybe they will have a bridging loan, kind of just in case. Arent oxfid colleges very well off from the amount of money they get from alumni? They should be well used to how difficult it is for those who arent from wealthy families.
You need to start planning a budget now and saving from this years student finance to start getting some money together to pay for your new contract. Really you should have done this first but as you haven't you need to work out asap how much you can improve this situation. It's normal to use an overdraft in circumstances like paying summer rent which is budgeted into next year's finances but you need to budget it into next year's finances and proceed accordingly. Don't rely on a hardship fund, there are usually a lot of students applying for these so you might not get awarded anything. Also, get a job for over summer and work on finding a job for next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending