The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Further Maths AS in year 13 - Mathematics and Economics

Obviously LSE recommend AS further maths to be taken but clearly expect this to be done in year 12 prior to applying. How likely are they to give an offer based on the school's prediction whilst LSE have no indicator other than high UMS scores in C1, C2 and S1?
Reply 1
Original post by AstarAstarA
Obviously LSE recommend AS further maths to be taken but clearly expect this to be done in year 12 prior to applying. How likely are they to give an offer based on the school's prediction whilst LSE have no indicator other than high UMS scores in C1, C2 and S1?

So you're in Y12, wanting to do economics at a top uni and looking to do AS FM in Y13? If so, you're in exactly the same position as me.

I doubt you'll be at a disadvantage, if you score highly in AS Maths there's no reason why you wouldn't score highly in AS FM.

I've been speaking to my school about it and they will be predicting me the grade I get in my AS Maths applied module - M1.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by jamestg
So you're in Y12, wanting to do economics at a top uni and looking to do AS FM in Y13? If so, you're in exactly the same position as me.

I doubt you'll be at a disadvantage, if you score highly in AS Maths there's no reason why you wouldn't score highly in AS FM.

I've been speaking to my school about it and they will be predicting me the grade I get in my AS Maths applied module - M1.

What FM modules are you choosing and do you think it will make a big difference? I am considering taking FP1, S3 and S4 since the stats is useful as preparation for Economics at uni. I'm still concerned though because it isn't reassuring enough for a Mathematics and Economics course compared to a pure Economics course. Am I likely to be up against mostly candidates taking FM A level not just AS?

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/mathematics-and-economics-bsc-hons/london-school-of-economics-and-political-science-university-of-london/cd/54987334/5884/

This shows some of the stats, scroll down to commonly taken A levels and you will find 73% have full Further Maths. Many of those who do AS further maths do an enrichment course taken over 2 years, so you're not at a disadvantage.
Original post by jamestg

I'm not too sure I agree with your second paragraph. The modules in further maths tend to be somewhat more challenging
Reply 5
Original post by straightsavage
http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/mathematics-and-economics-bsc-hons/london-school-of-economics-and-political-science-university-of-london/cd/54987334/5884/

This shows some of the stats, scroll down to commonly taken A levels and you will find 73% have full Further Maths. Many of those who do AS further maths do an enrichment course taken over 2 years, so you're not at a disadvantage.

That 73% figure is for Mathematics and Statistics not Mathematics and Economics
Reply 6
What FM modules are you choosing and do you think it will make a big difference? I am considering taking FP1, S3 and S4 since the stats is useful as preparation for Economics at uni. I'm still concerned though because it isn't reassuring enough for a Mathematics and Economics course compared to a pure Economics course. Am I likely to be up against mostly candidates taking FM A level not just AS?

I'm going to be doing FP1, S2 and S3. It will make a difference, they would probably question why you're wanting to do a degree like economics when you were doing mechanics and/or decision modules even when you had a choice.
Reply 7
Original post by Student403
I'm not too sure I agree with your second paragraph. The modules in further maths tend to be somewhat more challenging

Would LSE really be okay with giving offers based on the expected outcome without any sort of reassurance or is it enough to demonstrate ability with 90-100 UMS on all 3 modules in Maths AS?
Reply 8
Original post by jamestg
I'm going to be doing FP1, S2 and S3. It will make a difference, they would probably question why you're wanting to do a degree like economics when you were doing mechanics and/or decision modules even when you had a choice.

What other subjects are you taking and are you self-learning FM?
Would LSE really be okay with giving offers based on the expected outcome without any sort of reassurance or is it enough to demonstrate ability with 90-100 UMS on all 3 modules in Maths AS?

I mean I'm not saying good results in AS M can't be predictors for AS FM, I just think the former is much easier. Definitely high UMS will serve as evidence
What other subjects are you taking and are you self-learning FM?

History, Politics and Biology

I don't know which bits will be self-taught for the moment because of timetabling issues etc etc.

I'll probably have to self teach S2 and S3, which in turn means I have to self teach S1 over the summer because I'm doing M1 this year.
Original post by jamestg
History, Politics and Biology

I don't know which bits will be self-taught for the moment because of timetabling issues etc etc.

I'll probably have to self teach S2 and S3, which in turn means I have to self teach S1 over the summer because I'm doing M1 this year.

I have to learn S2 over the summer and then waste my year going to lessons to study S2 again whilst learning S3 and S4 outside. Apparently you can learn S3 and S2 simultaneously though it isn't too much of an issue. You'll be relieved to find that S1 is easy and you can learn it in a week if you're ambitious enough.
I have to learn S2 over the summer and then waste my year going to lessons to study S2 again whilst learning S3 and S4 outside. Apparently you can learn S3 and S2 simultaneously though it isn't too much of an issue. You'll be relieved to find that S1 is easy and you can learn it in a week if you're ambitious enough.

That makes me feel a bit happier about it I guess.

Yeah that will be the same for me, doing S1 in lessons. Although my teachers are fairly good and will let my just do my own thing, and I'll only ever do S1 work if it's on something I didn't understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending